SOLD - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
petew

Re: NEW plan - 1600 TURBO + oval + downunder

Post by petew »

Despite the best efforts of mismanagement, chaos and disorganization, I made it to the motorkhana tonight. Sure, I had to torque up the wheel nuts and pump the tyres up... and I was running late, but I got there with fuel and everything. I also took my laptop along to log runs.

22.7.17run1.png

That proved to be a mistake. I just got distracted. Really I was pretty out of practice. The other drama was the drivers side rear brake. So my handbrake was only working well on the right hand turns.

IMG20170722203114.jpg

So I took a different tack. I let the front tyres down to 26psi and had the back tyres up to 46psi. I wound 4 more clicks (stiffer) into the back shocks and threw the car around. The more aggressive I got, the better it went. By the end of the night I had it dancing around on and off the throttle more and more sideways. I couldn't take any pics as it was really dark. Video would have been just as painful. Suffice to say, I have somewhere to start and I'm pretty happy. The car was easily spinning the rear tyres on dry concrete. Super happy I went with a stage 2 Kennedy now. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
petew

Post by petew »

Got the results. I came 25th! Yay! Ok, so there was probably 1 or 2 tests that actually got right, but what ever...

SCN_0001[3819].jpg

Some confidence in the car and a bit of success is a nice thing, even if it's just little developments.

A few other little things. I had ongoing issues with the WB dropping out across the night. I'm not exactly sure why. The mixtures were ok, but we did spend a lot of time just sitting and idling before giving the car a really hard time. Additionally, the heads never got warmer than about 78degC according to Mario's head temp sensor. I'm wondering if the sensor never really got to warm up properly. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

On the upside, the racing seat and the shortened gearstick were big improvement on the last motorkhana. I didn't feel like I was going to fall out of the seat the whole time (which was what it was like before). Even with a big steering wheel it didn't feel like it was getting in my way at all. The transmission was pretty great too. With a shortened stick, you have to work it harder, but I could easily get back into first mid corner and it felt pretty good, if a workout for your arms.

Now all this is done, I really have to get the car finished and certified for all the mods I done. My wife is starting to nag me about it and I don't blame her really.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

have you got his warm up sensor on the tinware screw outside the tinware? just wondering if its catching some cooling air or something? does it go up when you sit and idle?
petew

Post by petew »

andy198712 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:30 am have you got his warm up sensor on the tinware screw outside the tinware? just wondering if its catching some cooling air or something? does it go up when you sit and idle?
Yes it is and does. We were racing in the cold air and I think that's as hot as that part gets in cold weather.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

if i recall mine is under the cooling shroud, hence diff temps to you.
yeah i think your right, its more of a warmup/ patterns thing i found, works very well at that!
petew

Post by petew »

Grrr, what a morning. Headed off to a conference only to get there and the place locked up tight. Turns out the event was cancelled and no one told me. 2 1/2 hour return trip in peak hour traffic. And I have a cold. Yes, I'm whining. :(

The good news is when I got home, this was on my desk. Came in the mail...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Turbotec ... 2749.l2649

So, let the fun begin.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Hey pete ,, do find some good fuel ,,, before you turn it up ,,,, :wink: :lol:
petew

Post by petew »

I run it on 98octane all the time. ;)
madmike

Post by madmike »

ok, you may get up to 14lbs but???? 15lbs???? got ant 110 down there? or if you really want to get up in the boost find some good race fuel VP c16 8)
petew

Post by petew »

madmike wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:47 am ok, you may get up to 14lbs but???? 15lbs???? got ant 110 down there? or if you really want to get up in the boost find some good race fuel VP c16 8)
Yeah, my turbo isn't efficient above 14lbs anyway. Get's all hot and nasty above that apparently. So I think 98oct is good for that. Just a matter of a fat mixture and not too much timing. ;)
madmike

Post by madmike »

How many lbs. are you running now? mine just starts to ping about 12-13lbs. on this crappy BP 93 :lol: so I don't have my Turbosmart boost thingie installed, so Basicly just on the 8lbs. spring in the Tial gate
petew

Post by petew »

6lbs is the factory wastegate on the subaru turbo. The wastegate hose blew off once and it's seen 14.7lbs without pinging, but it was mighty rich. Pig rich I'd say. Remember, I also have a an intercooler on my car, so that's gonna help me out a little where your's will just get really hot intake charge above 10lbs.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

petew wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:28 pm 6lbs is the factory wastegate on the subaru turbo. The wastegate hose blew off once and it's seen 14.7lbs without pinging, but it was mighty rich. Pig rich I'd say. Remember, I also have a an intercooler on my car, so that's gonna help me out a little where your's will just get really hot intake charge above 10lbs.
Mike is draw through so his intake temps are going to be completely different than a blow through setup. The fuel will cool the incoming air quite a bit drawing through the venturi of the carb.
Enough cooling to ice up the intake below the carb.
So if you figure his IAT's are close to freezing instead of like yours and mine at 100 plus degrees F*...... he will take a lot longer to get really hot air into the engine.
Possibly one of a few advantages of a draw through............or maybe not...... :wink:

As far as boost limit.... you are only limited by your tuning ability.
If you have the means to adjust your boost retard and keep the IAT's down you should be able to hit 23 lbs......If I can do it you can.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
madmike

Post by madmike »

:lol: I was just out yesterday playing with the new buggy and after I parked it felt the intakes(no gauges yet :roll: ) nice and cool 8) but I wasn't driving very long. :wink:
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Mine always iced the manifold between the carb and the turbo, i don't recall icing below the turbo. Even with fuel running through the turbo I'm pretty sure some heat will be on the pressure side while under boost. It's been a good long while since I've messed with a draw through setup though.