1600 turbo build thread

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
buguy

Re: 1600 turbo build thread

Post by buguy »

Looks weird to me. I'm going to cut it off on the bottom and angle cut the up pipe slightly and cut a few inches off to get it down and back in a little. It's disgustingly hot here so once it cools down I will probably fab a new header for it. Just cuz I like to build stuff. Need to get the exhaust built for it too so I can get an afr meter on it. Start putting some miles on it. I'm excited to feel it with the new rhino mounts. They have been bad since I built it.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I don't remember what I did (or really what I didn't do) in my engine bay but it always looked like crap. I planned to put the tar board in there so I didn't care much, but since I now run without a deck lid I don't think it would hold up. So on the 4th I stripped it and blasted it. Put some fresh paint and clear in there. Now the car is ready for the engine.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1664984.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1664985.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1664982.jpg
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yay! I got the up pipe angle cut and shortened. Much better. Put the engine back in along with the header, up pipe, and turbo. The Rhino trans mounts are thicker and the old ones must have been smushed too because the header touched under the body. I did a little hammer work to it to make it fit. I did a little work to the intake where the carb sits so I had to paint it. So it's drying now and can go back on tomorrow to finish it up. Just have to hook up the tail lights and run the gas line and turbo drain line back up and I should be back in business.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1665477.jpg
buguy

Post by buguy »

Unfortunately it looks like I have some shopping to do too.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/efyof_kprnc[/BBvideo]
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

Is your turbine shaft missing a nut? Should be easy to get a rebuild kit for.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I don't think it's missing a nut. It's just sloppy. I'm not sure if I want to rebuild it or not. I think it's a bit big for my engine and there is no carbon seal in it. Might just look for something else.
yellow_snocone

Post by yellow_snocone »

If your doing draw thru go with a turbo with a carbon seal and maybe smaller. I know clone can advise on the best size for your motor.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Yeah it's not easy finding turbos with carbon seals.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

car looks great!
buguy

Post by buguy »

Thanks. I'm about to head out and go finish it. Need to pull the tank and dump the gas out too. It's 10 years old. I can't believe the car runs on it! Apparently gas was better 10 years ago.
buguy

Post by buguy »

You know there is something else I've always needed for this car that I've never done. I looped extra cable and crimped it on the old throttle cable and ran it through some copper gas line to make the throttle work. I guess it's time to do something else. What is everyone else do for throttle cable?
madmike

Post by madmike »

Most of the time I make one from cable from the Hardware, cpl.,, pinch clamps but I now have a 'Silver Jacket' cable from Pro-Werks.
you can almost bend it into a pretzel and it's still slides like butter :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buguy

Post by buguy »

Do you run them through the tunnel like the original?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Use a bus throttle cable since it is longer than a bug cable.......find a cable sheath from a bike shop the right length and make some brackets to support it with an adjuster to help tune it.
Feed the cable through the tunnel and the new sheath and slip it through the carb linkage barrel...... I solder a little steel hollow pin on the area of the barrel clamp.....and then tighten the barrel clamp.
It's pretty easy and you can get ideas just wandering through the local hardware section of your "Ace is the Place" store.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
buguy

Post by buguy »

I will take a look. I spent a few hours buttoning the rest of the car up after work today. All that's left is the cable now. I hooked it up the way I had it but it's pretty janky