Sealing the Filler Neck

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Owen Snell

Sealing the Filler Neck

Post by Owen Snell »

Down to my last oil leak (fingers crossed) traced coming from the filler neck. The neck is new. There's a seal shown on some of the parts diagrams, but not sold anywhere. What is the best way to stop this leak?
wreck

Re: Sealing the Filler Neck

Post by wreck »

not enough info , are you talking about the plastic filler neck that clamps onto the filler tube on a kombi/micro bus ?
No matter where you go , there you are !
Owen Snell

Post by Owen Snell »

Yes, that's the one, plastic with the spring clamp.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I can't say I have ever had that issue, its typically self sealing with the spring pressure, is the tube smooth where clamped? scratches or such? Have a pic of the "seal" or the diagram?

I'd try Permatex#3 liquid or equivalent, it never completely sets, so it has a little give.

RTV is a Bad Idea anywhere on an ACVW with very, very limited exceptions, and carefully, sparingly applied if then.
If you can't ~see through it you probably used way too much, and the excess finds its way to the oil pickup strainer....
It's best avoided completely.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Owen Snell

Post by Owen Snell »

It's a replacement filler neck, the previous was also a replacement part. I can see where it should seal, seems the neck isn't really that good quality and the clip isn't exactly 'round'. I've found some oil barrier tape made by 3M, this in the sealing area and then a decent clamp might do it.
wreck

Post by wreck »

I use a hose clamp , Jubilee clip in your language :-) . also make sure your breather set up is up to the job , crank case pressure can blow oil out everywhere .
Owen Snell

Post by Owen Snell »

I've ordered a correct size spring clip, although that's a double wire, and some jubilee clips. The single wire clip supplied with the neck is rubbish - it's oval when closed, so can't seal properly. Got some Rocol oil seal paste to, will use sparingly before tightening.
Owen Snell

Post by Owen Snell »

Regarding the breather, that is routed through the charcoal cannister. I tried blowing through the pipe and there was a bit of resistance, but not much. Certainly not blocked. Am I better venting the breather pipe some other way?
wreck

Post by wreck »

I can't really say in a standard arrangement , I've just fitted an exhaust venting breather that is supposed to draw vacuum early days on it so I can't give any feed back.
Most people I know vent the breathers into the air filter about the carbs throat , again every one I know run dual Webber's or dellortos .
Owen Snell

Post by Owen Snell »

The breather goes through the cannister and into the tops of the air filters. Ive got IDF pattern throtle bodies. I'll get the neck properly clamped and then see if it's pushing out anywhere else.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

Maybe try just routing the breather to an open tube for a while, and see if that fixes?

Having resistance in your charcoal can seems like a good way to cause your issue..
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Owen Snell

Post by Owen Snell »

The spring clamp was not very effective, so I replaced it with 2 x jubilee clips and some oil resistant jointing compound on assembly. That fixed it.