Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
rubenski

Re: Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

Post by rubenski »

Nice setup but my concern also. I once pulled a trailer behind my atv with the exhaust pointing at the wood panels, the sound was suuuuuuper loud.
Better to be blown than to suck!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

That muffler originally was going to be temporary.......6 years ago....
I plan on changing it if I ever get time....
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Just aim it up or down some.
Hmmm up might need a bend at the end to keep out the rain.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Mileage, 85,225

I took the buggy and trailer to a little block party put on by our church. There were Motorcycles, cars, a boat and a pulling tractor/truck there.
There were a lot of people that showed up since it was open to the public and many, many hot dogs were served.......

My Brother took his recently purchased 2005 Subaru STI/ESX to the show. It is a #14 of 21 of these cars built. It has upgraded engine internals with forged parts and a big turbo for 425 hp. I have not had a chance to ride or drive it but I like to think he bought it because he was scared I would beat him against his 350 hp white one......... :lol: :lol: :wink:
While his COBB stage I STI has full boost by 2500 rpm this red one has nothing until 3500 then it comes on like a two stroke at 21 lbs boost. It's pretty well break the tires loose violent according to him.....
It is a beautiful car though.....I think.

I displayed my Buggy and trailer and people really seemed to like the trailer.....

Of course I only took a couple pics like an idiot.......

You can sort of see the pulling truck/tractor behind my trailer. Blown alcohol, injected massive hp wheelie machine is what it is.
Pretty impressive .... a father/son combo that also go to our church.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

Nice!
Better to be blown than to suck!
petew

Post by petew »

I need more people in my church like this! Maybe I need to start preaching differently... (coz I'm the pastor) :lol:
TedzBug

Post by TedzBug »

Clonebug, Is the engine still a stock bottom end, stock cam 1600DP, Or were there upgrades along the way? (lots of reading, can't find it so far) ;)

Btw, this is a great thread, lots of info!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Case, rods and crank are all stock.
88mm P/C's for 1679 cc's.
Engle 100 cam at .420 lift using stock rockers with solid shaft
Back to stock heads with HD single springs.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Update,

Right now I am sitting about 670 miles north of my home along a 150 mile long lake getting attacked by hungry mosquitoes.....
Before I left I set a tentative date with Mario for a morning tuning session in Monroe. We will be working on the tune since I have the day off on Monday the 3rd and can't think of a better way to spend it.... :wink:
I whipped up a dual table for VE and Ignition so we might be able to work on that one...if not we can fine tune the one I have and see how it goes.
If Mario sees this post and can get a reservation made I am game for a dyno pull also.....Mario....Mario......???? :D
The last log I looked at shows 66.6% DC with 45 lb/hr injectors at 241 KPA.... and according to my calcs that is showing just shy of 240 hp....
I have a log with a higher KPA but have to find it.....It was at 22.5 lbs. boost but I don't remember what kpa that is.
(Did a little searching and found the log with the 22.5 lbs boost.....shows an injector DC of 80.9% at an afr of 10.1 which means it was pig rich at the time.... it's an older log and I have leaned it out a bit since but have not run it too hard yet.)

It might be time to see if that is really what it can do......

I'm looking forward to spending some time at Mario's and getting my buggy fine tuned for the summer. There are just some areas that are difficult to work on with just a driver diverting important time away from the road ahead..... :shock: :oops:

I also have off on the 14th of July so I can get to the Burger Meet at a decent time. I plan on hitting that and the show on Saturday for an overindulgence of VW goodness for the weekend..... hopefully the weather holds.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

240bhp! where will it end?? lol power to weight ratio must be impressive! keep it up :)
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I rode in it a bit over a year ago and my colon still has crease marks in it. :twisted: An 80" wheel base with a whole lot more motor than it looks like. It does pull straight and stops pretty straight and quickly too.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

lol
Foggy must have a sensitive Butt......lol

I'll have to let Mario sort it out.
The calcs are only fuel burn.....it might not be putting that to the tires.......I just hope I have a transmission left after the tuning session.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Ever close you eyes real tight when under pressure; other places can be closed real tight too.
petew

Post by petew »

Clonebug wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:22 am Case, rods and crank are all stock.
88mm P/C's for 1679 cc's.
Engle 100 cam at .420 lift using stock rockers with solid shaft
Back to stock heads with HD single springs.
So you're seeing 6500rpm without a balanced bottom end?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

5800 rpm is the highest I've logged.....I usually shift at 5200 but see 5400 sometimes cuz it goes through the rpms so fast you can't shift fast enough.....
5400 rpm is where I logged the 80.9% DC on my 45# injectors.
I don't rev it out very often....in fact most times I drive it and shift at 3000 rpm.....that could be why my upper VE table still needs work.
The 3500 mile trip to California was driven that way.

The power is there if I want it but the will to live freely overrides the need to test the power most times........I'm not interested in explaining my turbo addiction to a pissed off law officer and then a liberal, Prius loving Judge.......... :roll: :lol: :shock: