Please help,best turbo for 1600-1776,quick spool max boost by 5500-6k

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Dan Dryden

Re: Please help,best turbo for 1600-1776,quick spool max boost by 5500-6k

Post by Dan Dryden »

I can vouch for a TD04L -13T from the Subaru Impreza.
I run one on my 1776cc type 1 engine at 21psi.
Spools up quick and gives a nice long torque curve through the rev range.
It gives great street manors.
rubenski

Post by rubenski »

The one i linked on ebay is only 150$, why not just buy a new one and dont take a gamble on a used one?

I think it would be a good fit on a 107hp 1641 i have now.
Once i see something to complete my FI shopping list i buy it. I have a fi pump and filter, water meth kit and some other small things.
Untill i have everything i just keep it NA.

Document your build so we can read along.
Better to be blown than to suck!
bug&kadettfan510

Which wrist pin retainers do you guys like??

Post by bug&kadettfan510 »

Thank u for the info.. the turbo deal fell thru tho unfortunately... still looking for a good turbo for my build... .know anyone in the bay area with one for sale??. so what wrist pin keepers do u guys suggest?? Spiral locks or Teflon buttons?? +and- of each pls.. no ideas on the pistons I posted?
bug&kadettfan510

rubenski wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:08 pm The one i linked on ebay is only 150$, why not just buy a new one and dont take a gamble on a used one?

I think it would be a good fit on a 107hp 1641 i have now.
Once i see something to complete my FI shopping list i buy it. I have a fi pump and filter, water meth kit and some other small things.
Untill i have everything i just keep it NA.

Document your build so we can read along.
I hadn't seen this till just now.. I didnt see a link.. and i will try my best to document the build for u guys. Im a recovered alcoholic and bugs are my new addiction.. so spent most of my free time workin on them..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
petew

Post by petew »

bug&kadettfan510 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm I hadn't seen this till just now.. I didnt see a link.. and i will try my best to document the build for u guys. Im a recovered alcoholic and bugs are my new addiction.. so spent most of my free time workin on them..
Good on you for dealing with the alcohol. Good luck trying to deal with the VW addiction. I've failed so far! :lol:

I've had used turbos so far (also subaru) and it's pretty hard to go past OEM quality unless you really spend up big. Other thing being, there are lots of spares to rebuild most of them. I've got 2 good turbos for a total cost of $AU150. Which is a steal really. If you can find a good second hand turbo, grab it. It shouldn't be that hard because a lot of guys upgrade them. Getting your oil drain right will be more important than anything else... don't ask me how I know this. :roll:
bug&kadettfan510

Thanks petew.. well think I found a td04hl 16t in good shape for 50 bucks. What do u guys think??? Think it will Work good,?? Or naw.. oh and I found a valve leak or 2..and my custom oil pump tool...lol.... p.s. what do u guys think about the t3 from low budget??? Worth it??. clonebug I'd love to hear ur opinion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I don't know too much about Volvo turbos but the TD04HL-16T would be a bit larger than the TD04L-13T.
The HL housing is a little larger and the turbine and compressor wheels will be larger.
Measure the inlet of the compressor side and tell me what diameter it is.
If it is under 2 inches it should be good.
1 5/8ths to 1 3/4 inch would be better but for 50 bucks it would be worth a try.

They are clocked a funny way and are hard to change so make sure you can make it fit your exhaust and intake.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
bug&kadettfan510

Clonebug wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:43 pm I don't know too much about Volvo turbos but the TD04HL-16T would be a bit larger than the TD04L-13T.
The HL housing is a little larger and the turbine and compressor wheels will be larger.
Measure the inlet of the compressor side and tell me what diameter it is.
If it is under 2 inches it should be good.
1 5/8ths to 1 3/4 inch would be better but for 50 bucks it would be worth a try.

They are clocked a funny way and are hard to change so make sure you can make it fit your exhaust and intake.
The inlet is 2inchs.. it's alot smaller the the t3t4 I've been running.. it's clocked how I did mine (yeah I'm wierd ) but the center section isn't vertical.. will it drain ok at this angle u think?? If I want to use my turbo smart wastegate I just weld the butterfly shut right clonebug?
petew

Post by petew »

Re the drain, the oil outlet hole on the turbo REALLY needs to be pointing vertically DOWN. You'll need to change that otherwise it won't drain properly. You can change that drain pipe around, but a few inches of vertical pipe will help it. Then connect it to the deep sump or a scavenge pump.

I think you'll find you can loosen that centre band and the exhaust housing will move. I also look as though the compressor side will slide around. Pull the compresser housing off and there might be a roll pin or similar locating it. Pull the pin out and move it to where you need it to be. Easy peasy. :)
bug&kadettfan510

petew wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:43 pm Re the drain, the oil outlet hole on the turbo REALLY needs to be pointing vertically DOWN. You'll need to change that otherwise it won't drain properly. You can change that drain pipe around, but a few inches of vertical pipe will help it. Then connect it to the deep sump or a scavenge pump.

I think you'll find you can loosen that centre band and the exhaust housing will move. I also look as though the compressor side will slide around. Pull the compresser housing off and there might be a roll pin or similar locating it. Pull the pin out and move it to where you need it to be. Easy peasy. :)
Right on petew.. appreciate the info...so all I have to do to use my wastegate is weld the flapper shut right? Any ideas on how to tell what psi the internal wastegate is set at?? (Besides hooking it up lol) have a cool day everyone.... are u running a remote oil filter or oil cooler? How hot does ur motor run?? Any issues with oil temp???
petew

Post by petew »

I don't know about welding up the wastegate. I know others have done it successfully. Re standard boost pressure, it will be somewhere between 6-10psi for most subarus and up to 14psi for WRXs. Not sure what the volvo would be. You could put a compressed air line on it and slowly wind in pressure until it moves. Watch your gauge and that will give you an idea. I'd say it would be around 6-10psi for most cars.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Subaru wastegates are set at around 6 lbs.......Most of the newer cars use Electronic Boost controllers to controller max boost. I know the WRX and STI do so.
The older Subies might not.
Every Subie turbo I have used has a 6 lb wastegate spring. the only way to be sure on your turbo is to check it with a regulated air supply.

I switched to an EBC two years ago when I upgraded to MS-2. It works pretty good for boost control.
You can also use a MBC and make one out of a 1/8 inch NPT Brass tee and a couple other parts. It will cost you about $20.00 and a little time to make one. They work quite well too.
I ran one at 22 lbs boost....
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
bug&kadettfan510

Thanks guys..what compression ratio did u build ur engines to have clonebug and petew ?? .. just picked up a 58 factory ragtop bug... needs some work but it's was love at first sight.. I'll throw up sum pics alil later if u guys want to check it out..
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

We'd love to see it!
bug&kadettfan510

K cool... here is all the pics i have right now.. take better ones when I get home if u guys wanna see more... has a freeway flyer and discs brakes all around..