Big CFM 914 Heads In U.S.A.

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
cal 67

Re: Big CFM 914 Heads In U.S.A.

Post by cal 67 »

Ok. Well I know the 75% rule: exhaust should flow around 75% of the intake. Intake cross section for a street engine should be no more than 85% of the intake valve size.

Yes, a D-port should be used on the short side. I was also thinking the chamber wall nearest the short side should be more shrouded than the other sections of the wall.
cal 67

Post by cal 67 »

Here's the new AA heads. They're currently out of stock. They made a small batch, and sold out quickly. The verdict is still out with the people that have them.

European added the guides and seats in these.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cal 67

Post by cal 67 »

Some more pics of what's been done. Going slowly. I have some CB connecting rods showing up this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

:twisted:

How's the material around the intake ports? Same as stock or added some?
cal 67 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 2:57 pm Ok. Well I know the 75% rule: exhaust should flow around 75% of the intake. Intake cross section for a street engine should be no more than 85% of the intake valve size.

Yes, a D-port should be used on the short side. I was also thinking the chamber wall nearest the short side should be more shrouded than the other sections of the wall.
I am personally a bit dubious on that classic I/E ratio rule of thumb at least...

Pro Stock heads typically run at 60% or less I/E, and Larry Widmer insists an oversized exhaust port (even port matching to the exhaust) absolutely destroys low end>midrange Tq. Mind, these ports support supersonic flow, and have a very carefully developed cross sectional area progression. Might be possible on T4 exhausts with a D port, plus the added material might help prevent the ex seats sinking into the port.

His PS SCJ 429 head exhaust ports were about the exit diameter of a stock T1, if that.(largest cross sectional area)
The intakes you could probably stick your whole hand in.

I realize we aren't building unlimited Pro Stock monster motors but it's still a fine example of something.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
wreck

Post by wreck »

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/download/ ... w&id=19279

I'm building a similar combination ,except using a 78mm AA crank and Deutz cylinders machined down to suit 103mm JE pistons , the same rods . Using a pair of 48mm trijet dellortos .

I've gone with 47mm inlet and 40 exhausts ,When I researched the inlet /exhaust ratio I realised most of the info is for water-cooled engines that have a cylinder head temp of under 100C , our air-cooled heads run 60% hotter , so I figured that the higher temp would lead to a higher volume of exhaust gas for the same volume of intake gas . If you look at aircooled Porsches , they run around the 85% ratio .Also all the high po after market type 1 heads all have a ratio over 85% . I'm guessing that some scavenging is promoted to help cool the heads .
I'd be interested what the guy from CB comes up with .
No matter where you go , there you are !
cal 67

Post by cal 67 »

Wow! Those Deutz cylinders are nice! Piledriver, they appear to be exact replicas. When I called, the representative responsible for having these heads made told me they didn't change anything other than the exhaust guide size.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

They look pretty good.
There's a couple spots they could have added material so welding wasn't needed for bigger valves, or make the deck a little thicker, but any source of decent stock 2L castings is welcome. They are already a huge win as the chambers and plug location are right without welding.

To get "2L" heads from AMC castings, the mods probably costs more $$$$ than the Chinese 2L heads outright due to extensive welding and machining.

How much did they go for?
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
trapnm

Post by trapnm »

Pm sent pile. Prices so low they're inssaaaaannnnne.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Whoa.... I think I see some new heads in my future.
wreck

Post by wreck »

How much and when are they going to be available ?
cal 67

Post by cal 67 »

2-3 months, $225- $250 each.
trapnm

Post by trapnm »

279 was the retail quote. That's for a bare head. They sell them complete typically. They were supposed to be in this week but maybe a delay. I'll contact them tomorrow.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

How much are they getting for seats/guides etc?

The valves/guides/seats etc all cost the same as T1, and the machining required is ~no different...
Porting will still cost, but a pass in a CNC mill and the rest shouldn't push ~`a $K/pair, finished, if that.
No welding etc required on these AAs as they appear to be a good 2L 914 copy.

Certain places that charge ~4X std rates for run-of-the-mill T4 headwork should be driven out of business:
They're not that freaking special.
wreck

Post by wreck »

Murphies law , just getting a pair of new AMC's finally finished with bigs valves etc and something better pops up . I may still get a pair to put on the shelf .
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The jury's still out on "better", but they should cost significantly less, and have zero welding.