Project---Split cable pull linkage

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
aircooledtechguy

Re: Project---Split cable pull linkage

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Piledriver wrote:If you are fine with a ripoff artists ethics, I'm fine with that.

Nothing is stopping anyone from making folks aware of who they choose to buy their products from.
CFRs D-Jet pressure sensor diaphragm kit is the only game in town, he deserves kudos for bringing that to market.

Chris already lost a decent chunk of his sales (via losing all sales through RAT) largely due to this issue.
(his making a $1500 hand hammered fan shroud was likely not the reason as it only makes sense for racers who must meet SCCA racing rules requiring 914s to have the stock alternator location, also he ran it for years...)

I hope his entirely legal (but almost certainly tiny) profits on the linkage make up for his lost sales.

NOTE HE DOESN"T EVEN SHOW AN ASSEMBLED LINKAGE IN HIS AD, as it would be too obvious.

You keep bumping this up.
I keep replying because we are having a valid discussion and I have a real-world perspective on how markets work.

So using your logic, there should only be one maker of a product that is in a given market?? Anyone who designs an alternative or even an improvement on a given product should not be allowed to enter the marketplace and compete for a market share?? Again, what parallel universe does this happen in because it's not in ours. There are markets that employ these rules you speak of and they are/were in places like the USSR, Cuba, North Korea and many other communist countries and as history shows, all the best innovations come out of those areas of the world. :wink:

Again, using your logic, I guess A/A shouldn't be making piston/cylinder sets for our cars since they are a blatant rip-off of Mahle (which is a blatant ripoff of Kolbenschmidt). . . There should ONLY be Westfalia campers too since Riviera, Sundial etc. obviously copied what Westfalia Werk was doing and stole market share. . . Hex bar linkage should be banned as well since it was designed as an improvement over that pathetic round bar stuff that came with the original Weber carb kits. . . Dellorto carbs should have never been made either. . . I could go on and on, but if you're honest with yourself, you will at least appreciate how a free-market drives innovation, quality and ultimately costs. In every market there are winners and losers. It's the Darwinian theory at it's best.

As to why RAT stopped using Tangerine Racing, you are clearly making a speculation and have only part of one side of a two-sided story. Only God and the two parties involved know the whole story and I would bet God is the only impartial party. :wink: As a general rule, people who talk on public forums will only talk about things that put themselves in the best possible light and will conveniently leave out the un-flattering facts. Most business people with class, tend to keep to themselves and do not broadcast business drama publicly since doing so is typically seen as VERY un-professional.

I think that on this we can agree to disagree and that's cool. Peace Pile. . . 8)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I have no problem with innovation, but I don't see any here, just a highly visible established vendor knocking off a STF members personal project. It is ~no different than if CB or EMPI started making them in China.

Mahle owns Kolbenschidt BTW. Also Carrillo,(IIRC) CP, Federal-Mogul, and herds of other old and honorable companies.

I admit reading between the lines and making some educated guesses as to what went down between Jake and Chris, but the Tangerine header was a big part of Jakes $$$$$ turnkey setups.

I have vented and moved on, Nate, no worries.

The CB hexbar is free with the air cleaner etc, which are pretty decent.
I was initially thrilled with how solid the heim joints etc were on the Hexbar, but it's mostly the mass of the hexbar vibrating that causes issues. A good cable pull setup is free from those sort of issues.

I do concur that you should talk with Pete before deciding, he works very hard to make things fit and work perfectly, almost to a fault. Petes std setups fit fine in the "hidden" configuration (behind the carbs) admittedly not a good plan on a full bodied bug..

One other thing--- try to score some of the K&N air filter grease or a large tube of the super-gooey silicone grease for urethane bushings and spooge some on the top and bottom seal on those air cleaner elements. One could also probably do something interesting with silicone and some wax on the seals to cure it w/o sticking, the filter element seals are far too stiff to seal on the rough cast CB air cleaner mounts.

You would be amazed what gets by the seals (not to mention the gauze air filters themselves...)

IDFs appear designed to funnel anything that gets by the air cleaners into the idle fuel jet air holes on top.
The little snorkel things (jet doctors?) are a good idea, as are rain hats if the filters can see rain or water from a car wash, it will fill the carb bowls given half a chance. Bakers Secret loaf pans work dandy.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
slowtwitch

Post by slowtwitch »

Hello Folks, I have received a PM about the system and was asked about a version for folks that have heat ducts. Well as things would have it...I've been working on one for sometime. I currently have a few kits out there being tested. Jake Raby installed a setup in Beth's car and so far so good :) I'm waiting on feedback from the others... then we will see what happens :D

Here's a peek :)

pete
trapnm

Post by trapnm »

Any new updates?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

He's been selling them for years on TOS classifieds.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
trapnm

Post by trapnm »

I have two. Just didn't know if there were any new kit updates or new ideas.