Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your Ride

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
Piledriver

Re: Welcome to the STF! Please Introduce Yourself and Your Ride

Post by Piledriver »

Welcome to the asylum, redneckgearhead!

Interesting looking all-metal buggy, looks like a neat and unique project!
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
ainokea

Post by ainokea »

Kinda' blazed through the pages looking for anybody from Hawaii but found zero. I'm Ainokea, retired VW mechanic from the 60's on to 2012. My only ride today is a 73 bug with a mild 1956cc engine and dual 44idf's I built in 2007. I have owned 23 VW's and Audis in my working years and have to admit retirement is not the best thing I've ever experienced. We do have a large VW following here in Honolulu and Hilo but most are show cars but some can be seen on the, VW Club Of Hawaii's site.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Welcome to the STF!

It's good to have another experienced wrench here.

There are actually a few folks from Hawaii here, but entering even vague location info into your profile is not required.
(but it is a very good idea)

I'd search using the island names., and try google site search mode, as the boards search engine is... not Google.
like... (in Google search box) site:shoptalkforums.com Oahu

One current and active Hawaiian lister is BJ.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
butchman44

Post by butchman44 »

Hi, my friends call me Butch, lm retired wrench, fabricator,- welder. Live in Henderson ,Nevada,next to Las Vegas.not a racer but my hart is in the dirt , always has been . Lots of desert out here. Have a street legal ,Fiberglas buggy 4 place. VW all the way, with a 1915cc engine.
Consider the day a total loss, if I don't learn something new. Also building a 82mm roller crank ,2276. Want to play @ the salt flats,in Utah.
Not on line as much,as some. I'm old school & sometimes I have trouble w/ internet
trekrider65

Post by trekrider65 »

Hello everyone; just found STF last week. I have a '60 Indiana Red T1. She is not OG, but I like the updates she has. This is my third Beetle, the first was a '69 T1 I got in 1977 as my daily driver. I got a '74 SB in 1988 and had a lot of fun redoing it. Then two years ago my wife suggested I look for another bug as a retirement project. Wilma didn't need much done to her so she hasn't been much of a project. I added a RetroSound radio and speakers. And now I am painting the wheels two-tone and putting new Coker F560s on her. I'll try to learn how to post pics and get one on here. I look forward to using this forum and meeting everyone.
Gene
1960 Indiana Red T1
minicooper

Post by minicooper »

Good day, im new to your forum, i am busy with a reprodunction kubelwagen build and would like to chat to the guys whom has a wide range of knowledge on the topic of reduction boxes.

Im located in South Afica, where theirs many old school beetles unfortunately the old school bully bus and things are very hard to find.

I have proqured a set of reduction boxes this tubes with out axels.

Yes yes i know i had to have the short reduction box axels as well unfortunately it was posted to me less this fital part.

My question, can i use the standard beetle axel, shorten the length and machine a seat face for the bearing and a ridge for the circlip.

If yes to all the above would any of the forum members have the length of the axel from end to end and could this info be shared with me.

Some specs of the reduction boxes.

34 mm small nut boxes
Year about 63 this box does not have the small inspection cover at the rear of the box with that nut
Driver gear in reduction box 19 teeth
12 splines on the inner of the gear
Beetle axel 12 spline, reduction box small gear fit and seats well on beetle axel
Part number on rear of reduction box 211 501235A
Can post pictures

Thanks in advance
Dean...

Post by Dean... »

Hey! I'm Dean from Australia, and here is my 1970 Beetle with a 1916 motor and many other modsImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

chris051873

hi everyone

Post by chris051873 »

Hi all,

I am very new to the VW world, and glad to be here.

hopefully you guys can tell me about my buggy as i ask questions about it.

i know the engine is built with ported heads and sleeved cylinders along with dual webers, Believed to be an 1970-1973 engine

please ask me questions so that we can figure out what i have, lol

My buggy also has a bus transmission, which is a 4 speed.
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii46 ... G_3921.png

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii46 ... G_3922.png
Ubermaus

Post by Ubermaus »

Hey all,
I'm new to this site but not new to the Vee Dub world, my parents say my first word was "Bug." I have owned a grand total of 15 different VWs over my lifetime and have passed the VW addiction to my wife. We currently own a '68 semi-auto T-1, a '71 T-1 both of which are in process of restoration and a '07 Rabbit (Rubik's Edition) for our daily driver. I am a disabled veteran which makes working on them a challenge but that has yet to stop me.
Looking forward to interacting with y'all and learning and sharing what I have also.

Thanks for having me!
Chris
"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it."
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Welcome to the STF!!!
Awesome .sig, Ubermaus
"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it."
Spanky57

Post by Spanky57 »

Hello all, I’ve been on here since 2011.
I have a 73 beetle I was working on restoring until a couple of incidents took me away from working on the beetle.
I’d done a complete tear down a body off situation to replace pans and a couple other body panels.its been completely torn down since 2011, Parts were boxed up and moved to a mini storage unit, and have since been moved back to a shed at my house. Hopefully I haven’t lost anything, a lot of stuff got carried to a dump. Anyways I hope I can get back on the bug, my goal now is to rebuild the front axle and rear pivot arms and bearings so I can get the pan back on wheels. Gotta take it one step at a time, and hope for the best.my health limits me somewhat as I was diagnose with metastatic bladder cancer in June of 2014; took two rounds of radiation, 3 years of Chemotherapy and have now been on immunotherapy for 6 months. My last few scans are promising, most tumors were gone and others continue to shrink so far.
Anyways, not looking for pity or anything like that, just good to have this forum to get questions answered. There’s a lot of smart ppl on here!

Sorry to ramble on,just feels good to get back on my bug!

Thanks and look forward to some questions soon, Mike
LennyFunnels

Post by LennyFunnels »

Welcome to the forum, Mike!
dangerusdug

Post by dangerusdug »

Thanks for the add . I have a 1962 for about 3 years a 1641cc and a 1972 for 23 years currently running a supercharged 1835 with a 600 cfm 4bbl.
, as soon as I figure out how
to post pictures I will.
aussiesmuggler

Post by aussiesmuggler »

Hi Guys,
My name is Scott from Australia.
Im just starting to get into the idea of a turbo for my wife's stock 1960 single port ghia and that has lead me to hear.I have a 55 oval running a 2180 stroker and 44 webbers that is my baby and that is sorted for the moment so the 60 Ghia is calling me know. So 36 horse old school look with a new school approach to power it is. Look forward to learning lots.I will post some ride pics. soon.
aussiesmuggler

Post by aussiesmuggler »

My rides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.