Mismatched ign pin out on Microsquirt.

buildabiggerboxer

Mismatched ign pin out on Microsquirt.

Post by buildabiggerboxer »

Well its 2 years in august since i installed the Microsquirt and hardware to run it on my circuit car, where did it go?after various mechanical issues and keeping trackside sorting those on the dizzy ignition, its time now to move forward, today was productive, after updating and flashing ms2 xtra firmware over the weekend, but on COPS test mode i see an ignition pin selection as D14 so not familiar to the usual microsquirts ign A, ign B, Waled and Aled outputs, i select a coil to test fire in test mode and no test sparky, BUT, both cyl 2/4 coils will fire when the fuel pump relay drops out in normal power up, in test mode they wont fire but both 2/4 coils do get hot via the fuel pump relay, no matter what coil i select in test, only 2/4 ever heat even after selecting say coil A and burning, coil A wont warm, this may be down to the D14 pin in MS2, its set to waste COP. the file title is for Microsquirt s19 but somethings off with the pin out. any input from the learned forum Gents most welcome, even insults are tolerated lol..

On the plus side, my home brewed VR sensor and dry sump pulley trigger seem to work well, hope to get logging tomorrow but she cranks with the rpm sync box green in ts but it goes red on key release and logs one sync loss, clear it and crank forever and rpm synced holds
green untill power off then goes red with 1 loss.
may be a while to learn MLV and TS operation but thats what tonight is for, read and read some more...
Thxs in advance. BBB.
Chip Birks

Re: Mismatched ign pin out on Microsquirt.

Post by Chip Birks »

Make sure you flashed the microsquirt specific firmware. I think Mario had a similar issue.
buildabiggerboxer

Chip, Thxs for a quick response, yes, it must be odd firmware, it came from thier web site and the link was for microsquirt, but a misnamed file maybe crept in. i think TS may have latest downloads direct.
watch this space. BBB.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Do your initial testing with an LED 'noid light, easier on the coils.
if its on bright the polarity is wrong, ign should just flash at least at lower revs.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
buildabiggerboxer

Thxs Pile, ive got 1&3 firing in test mode now, i had the wrong firmware,
fixed that ok, also got the timing set bang on from firing on 1 ok , calibrated the sensors and TPS, still no spark on Aled and Wled for cyl 2&4 which have the added resistors in the loom, im wondering now if i used the wrong ones, i have twelve volts ok, oh and a headache. off now for a break till tuesday, nearly there.
will that led tester you mentioned pick up the trigger pulse? COPs test good on the bench, spark can jump 1- 1/2" !
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

A noid light will be able to see if you have trigger pulses
not sure how useful on the wheel sensor output

is it a microsquirt v3 or v2? slightly different circuits...
digging through the forums indicates 330 or 470 ohm inline resistors.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
buildabiggerboxer

Thxs, ive forgotten where the resistors are as i did the loom 2 years back! must be up near the uS to splice the vref i guess. Its V3 uS, also think i have a steinal tester at work, and i can also select Aled in settup and try that in test mode. should get on it AM...
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

vref supplies MAP/MAT/CLT sensors.
buildabiggerboxer

Thxs this far anyway but Its defied all efforts so far, today i checked my loom and resistors and they are 1k and wired in as per the hardware diagrams,
i also posted on the megasquirt forum and its suggested 330 ohm resistors as a cure for no spark on the LED outputs, so awaiting the little red van and man, if so the hardware manual is incorrect i guess, there has to be ONE gotcha lol..
also looking now at throttle bods on ebay, Late Honda fireblades have a suitable 46mm throttle bore for my 2.5 wasser and are plentiful and cost peanuts, but need to verify the bore centres i see from a post on here.
buildabiggerboxer

A Great fat spark on all outputs now folks, the replacement 330 ohm resistors did the job on Aled and Wled with my Denso logic cops, i guess the resistor sizing has to suit whatever type cops we are using, the post 2001 late type VW COP wont work at all with uS im told, tho with the amount i replace in the w'shop this is good news anyway, just some mechanical work to button up now and i should fire it up tomorow. 😆..
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

Can you please give a PN for the DENSO coils?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

buildabiggerboxer wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 12:30 pm A Great fat spark on all outputs now folks, the replacement 330 ohm resistors did the job on Aled and Wled with my Denso logic cops, i guess the resistor sizing has to suit whatever type cops we are using, the post 2001 late type VW COP wont work at all with uS im told, tho with the amount i replace in the w'shop this is good news anyway, just some mechanical work to button up now and i should fire it up tomorow. 😆..
Groovy!
There's actually an installable TC4426(?) quad driver module if you need the high current "logic" for the weird late VW COPS.(We used to call them 15K mile coils, as they seldom outlasted the plugs they were on)

Its for the uS module board, but the right hands can make it fit, much like the 4 channel injector driver setup.
(latter adds two more inj outs allowing sequential fuel, same circuit as the onboards)

All SMD rework, but doable with the right gear.
buildabiggerboxer

Damn it, as you were soldier, no weekend pass for me... close but no cigar, after sparking well in test mode yesterday its back to no sparky on Aled/Wled ,, bummer of a job too and i've also made good the loom after the micro surgery, i can see the trigger pulsing, i found my long lost steinal tester.
The only oddness is the 'burn' box lighting every time i go
to the test mode page, and it wont burn and extinguish the box, it throws a 'Burn failed page 3' warning....odd..
a guru from diyautotune on the mega forum recons on trying 100 ohm sesistors, any further comment most acceptable.... so more surgery i spose, but so odd that it tested fine on 4 or 5 seperate tests yesterday...battery is right up, flashed red in TS on the charger so knocked it back a bit...... Post from TZepeSH. you asked pn for COPS......
The COPS are Denso 099700~0020
1x43~14029 AB
they fit great on the wassers with their angled spark plugs but wont look at a T1 instal, i checked it out..
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

Thank you for the info. Are these out of 02-05 Civic?
I was considering "dumb" coils, Denso 129700, for the Type4 converted to upright. They also fit very well, there are some projects here on STF using those.
It would be interesting to see what the Denso product number means, I think that only the first 6 numbers define the COP type, and next numbers are lot number/date/something else not related to COP parameters.
I have to read a bit more on what type of coil is better. 5V on long cables is more prone to disturbance, but 12V high current creates more EMC noise.
buildabiggerboxer

My COPS came from a Lexus IS200, but many Toyotas use similar coils.