Ed's Baja Bug build.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Leatherneck

Re: Ed's Baja Bug build.

Post by Leatherneck »

Thanks Ed, looking forward to seeing what you do. Would one have to mortgage their house to buy one?
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Maybe LOL. The kit with the things my parts car's transmission needed was right around $2500 and this much newer prebuilt transmission was $4000 with free shipping and a 12 month warrantee. It came down to spending the extra $1500 saved me some work and shop space and I need all the work and space savings I can get right now.

Also I am another that can no longer make pics work here :cry:

Ed
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Sent a pm. Is it a 5 speed, that if it is stout isn't to bad of a price. Who did you get it from?
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

It is a 99 or newer Subaru 5 speed with a reversed 4.86 ring and pinion. I got it from Subiworks and the $4000 is their standard price for a pull clutch model transmission. They build them when you order one and they told me they had 17 core transmissions to use and this one looks like new now. It should be a perfect match to my EJ22 and I will now be using a stock Subaru clutch and starter and no adapter to the trans.

After I get some things done I will PM you.

Ed
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Subaru or Porsche cvs?
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

bikesndbugs wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:26 pm Subaru or Porsche cvs?
I got it with type 2-4 cv flanges to match my type 4 Porsche cvs that I have been using with my 091.

Ed
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

ok because i was thinking if you went subaru you could do subaru brakes but that opens a whole nother can o worms
not to mention idk what the max angle on their cvs are
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

No adapter, that's is pretty cool. You have two years to break it or not, ok? Thanks for the info, look forward to more. We were talking about you and the also the coming up run in Oct.
Last edited by Leatherneck on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added more info
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Leatherneck wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:21 pm No adapter, that's is pretty cool. You have two years to break it or not, ok? Thanks for the info, look forward to more. We were talking about you and the also the coming up run in Oct.
I plan to make it to Jackpot for the BOR race in July with my Baja and then this years adventure trip for sure. Also going to try to get with Richard and maybe Tim and Nate for some desert suspension testing at some point, my front suspension is new to me and Richard needs to test too :D

I have 12 months to break it :D

Yes now the motor-transmission are all Subaru along with most of the AC so now the only thing VW is the brakes, pan and body LOL.

Ed
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

5 speed and AC, tell me you have tinted windows too 8)
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

No tinted windows yet but.............. :lol:

Kyle is right PB is sort of working :D Here is my Subaru 5 speed waiting on me to do something with it :roll:

I am hoping to get to work on my Baja next week sometime :?

Ed
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Nice, have they given you a HP rating it should be able to handle? It is purdy
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

They say 200 for this one and 280 for the other one that takes the other clutch but there is almost no difference between the 2 in the size of the gears and what not so I think it is the power the clutch will take. I am sure it is stronger than they say as some people are pushing newer 6 cylinder Subaru's thru them.

Ed
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

I have a week or so I can put to my car so I went to work on it yesterday. It looks like it will fit better than I thought so that is good. Here is the old motor and transmission and the new motor and the Subaru transmission.

I put them in today and things clear in some ways better than I thought but the rear package tray will have to be changed some for the top clutch linkage to work.

Ed
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Nothin's ever easy is it?
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting