Rusty's Return to Life... A build page.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
CentralWAbaja

Re: Rusty's Return to Life... A build page.

Post by CentralWAbaja »

TimS wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:53 am Since CWA knocked me off the first page 45 minutes after I posted.....
I did not mean to displace the rusty thread...if you notice it was what started me on a roll the other morning :lol: So cool to see you back at it and thanks for sharing :wink:
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Dammit did it again... put us on a new page of the thread :roll:
TimS wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:53 am Since CWA knocked me off the first page 45 minutes after I posted. Here is some progress.
IMG_20170428_094142930-450x800.jpg
The most time was spent figuring out how to weld 360 degrees around the torsion and still keep as much VW there as possible. When I flip back over I will finish the welding through the tunnel access hole and then rebuild the shifter hole. Clutch and throttle cables stayed untouched after a close call with the sawzall. The rear crossover brake line didn't survive my cut off wheel.
And then can't the pic to show back up....go figure :lol:
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
TimS

Post by TimS »

You are just fine, Mr. CWA. I had to update anyway. Thanks for bumping all the familiar threads. Feels like old times. I have become so busy lately and I no longer get long spaces of computer time.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
TimS

Post by TimS »

This frame head is mostly just getting in the way. It may disappear, but I really want to keep it for asthetics. Stupid as it may be. There is a bunch of support there, I guess.

Still going with the "sleeper RUSTY-bug finishing strong to the crowds delight" or the "ancient race car turned daily adventure vehicle". Something like that. Trying to keep the spirit of what the car is.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

TimS wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:36 pm IMG_20170426_215425941-450x800.jpg
IMG_20170425_201435929-800x450.jpgIMG_20170424_200956405-450x800.jpg

I've officially thawed out and reorganized for the garage season.

Making good progress on Rusty. Front end installed, lower cage tubes installed.

Goal is to get ready to get body placed on it to take up less space in garage. Then goal will be cage work.

Slow as usual. Lots of projects going on here.
why weld in the beam? i just picked up clamps for mine today.
how far are you going with the cage?
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Travis go back to page 11 and read from there and you will see the start of the cage.

Looking good Tim.

Ed
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Travis, I have the same upper and lower beam supports you have. One of the big drawbacks are the slots that can allow the support to the slots in the pan combined this allows a certain amount of flex in the beam. The upper supports should be attached to the A-pillar opposite where the door bars attach.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Travis, this will be a race worthy full tube frame with a mostly stock body hanging off it. As far as the beam, if it needs replaced when I am done, I will have to rebuild some of the cage,too, so the welding is not a big issue.

This is my daughter's car, and I found comfort in knowing that it is not my car. Makes it easier to cut into.

Just think... Building a race car within a vintage restoration, with some latitude.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

TimS wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 pm Travis, this will be a race worthy full tube frame with a mostly stock body hanging off it. As far as the beam, if it needs replaced when I am done, I will have to rebuild some of the cage,too, so the welding is not a big issue.

This is my daughter's car, and I found comfort in knowing that it is not my car. Makes it easier to cut into.

Just think... Building a race car within a vintage restoration, with some latitude.
makes sense on the beam and sounds like its gonna be sweet when its done. Im trying to do something somewhat similar. I still have to daily mine but with my crooked pan head and one of the threaded inserts pulling through i plan on going full tube up front and doing that i need more cage support. Im taking some inspiration from dusty and now yours. just because the keeping of the tank in front.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

TimS wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 pm This is my daughter's car, and I found comfort in knowing that it is not my car. Makes it easier to cut into.

I like the way you think and always enjoy watching and learning from your projects.
TimS

Post by TimS »

IMG_20170506_103544996_HDR-800x450.jpg
Rusty's story grows deeper...

Brianna and I had set out on a journey back in December of 2015. Richard had a Subaru, I had the knowledge, and Brianna had a need for some cash to build rusty.

Richard was Brianna's first harness customer. I supervised the build and ensured quality control while Brianna completed the tasks. From pulling the harness, to striping it, to laying it out, final assembly and finish wrapping, she was there every step.

Back in the summer, my plane got cancelled so I had time to hook up the harness in Richards car. It didn't run then. This whole time, we have been waiting for the chance to diagnose and fix. A bazillion possibilities passed through my mind as to why it wasn't working. Ed and I both thought vaccume leak from the get go.

Fast forward to yesterday. I got the chance to get hands on again. Tested everything and finally found a misplaced manifold gasket after tearing the harness apart testing it. And vroom. It turns out that harness worked perfectly, whew. There is no reason this harness won't last another 20 years. Ed was a huge help that day.

But, the coolest addition to the Rusty story is the collection of parts pictured above. The type III rear end, from Ed, will supply us with torsion bars and type III backing plates. The steering box is also from ed. The other type III backing plates from Richard and then the 1600 style front arms will make a nice addition to Rusty's front end.

I like that every major component on Rusty has a story associated with it... A story is so much more valuable than a click and ship. The font arms were once married to the beam that is on the front of my green bug. And for my daughter to see the original locations for the torsion bars and backing plates, in the type III rear end, is huge.

Oh. Richard also bent up some tubing for me to use as a rear truss bar on Rusty. I hope to get that installed soon so I can flip Rusty back over and complete the cage.

Richards cage started off similar to mine with the bottom bars, beam supports, and top bars being identical. Richard has a bender so he is better able to custom fit the tops tubes and side tubes. I think I may have to get one like Richard has. Seems very functional. It was good to see his cage and get some ideas. No pictures though.

https://youtu.be/WaZg94r5UXI. (This video was taken shortly before we chastised Richard repeatedly for not telling us four hours earlier that he had messed with the intake manifold :wink:. In the end, though, it worked out to be quite an event with Richard, Ed, Nate, Sterling and myself all present for the first start).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thank you all for the hospitality and being part of Richards engine start. Richard even made us lunch on the BBQ.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

It was a very good Friday with Tim and Ed in the shop. Tim is from Pocatello Idaho and Ed id from Elko Nevada so they both had a long drive as i live in SLC Ut.Least i could do was barbecue some burgers for lunch. Later on Sterling and Nate came by just in time for the engine start.
Most of the time we all work alone since we dont live near each other. Was good to have friends in the shop. Was a very very good day. Thanks again guys !
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Thank you Richard, I had a lot of fun helping figure out your problem (well your cars problem :mrgreen: ) It was also nice to see the guys and just kind of for me take the day off.

Tim check out a JD Squared model 3, it is a hand version of mine and a lot like Richards.

I am sorry to say I won't make it to Vernal this year so all you guys have a great time for me :D

Ed
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

My bender is a pro tools model 105 manual bender.