N8's single seat racer

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
n8ball

N8's single seat racer

Post by n8ball »

Well, I spotted this little race car on a local classified site. The guy had it listed at a good price, and I started drooling over it within 3 hours of it being listed. I had a problem though. In 2 weeks I was going to Mexico, for a family reunion/cruise/60th anniversary for my grandparents. "Pipe dream" I thought. No way am I buying another buggy right now. Fast forward 2 days, price drop. I thought, "it can't hurt to call him. Right?"

After chatting over the details a bit, I pretty much had to go look. I told the wife about my post work plans, and I would meet her and some coworkers downtown a couple hours later. She told me "Don't do anything stupid." Or "Just do the right thing." Or something along those lines.

After giving the guy some earnest money and agreeing to be back in a couple days with the rest for pick up, I felt like I had done exactly what she asked. But no! I had royally messed up. It is taking a while to get out of the dog house, but first test runs yesterday helped out.

Unfortunately on lap 2 around the Sears parking lot, it cut out. It would turn over just fine, but no vroom. Crystal got to tow me back to the shop, so you can imagine she won't let me live that one down for awhile. I have sorted out the root of the ignition problem, but I'll post more pics shortly for some advice.
IMG_5600.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CentralWAbaja

Re: N8's single seat racer

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Oh boy!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

Crystal's a good woman to put up with your crap! ;) Sweet buggy.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

kyle_pc_75 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:24 pm Crystal's a good woman to put up with your crap! ;) Sweet buggy.
LMAO she is :lol:

Nate are you planning on racing this car or just entertain your self with it?

Ed
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

I chased down the issue to the distributor. It is not turning. A new distributor is easy enough, but if I can use what I have, I will. So after the ecotec swap, I have this extra ACVW laying around. You guys let me know what I should do. First is the pics of the current set up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

Can I use the alternator and distributor on this other motor I have?
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

Ed, right now I want to get it running well, and safe. Racing it sounds like a lot fun though.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Good looking buggy. That should be a blast to drive.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

Nate I have a 1600 dual port on the ground out side my shop that is full of water that I will try to get the water pumped out of that you can have if you want it, it was a ok motor when I took it out of my Baja before I started building it. I also have a few 009 distributors if you want one you can have one of those too.

Ed
CrustyNuts

Post by CrustyNuts »

Ed
Your recent plight and then willingness to help N8 with an engine is why this brotherhood of motorheads is the best ever. Prayers and Kudos to you and your's.
no1clyde

Post by no1clyde »

CrustyNuts wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 am Ed
Your recent plight and then willingness to help N8 with an engine is why this brotherhood of motorheads is the best ever. Prayers and Kudos to you and your's.
Well thank you. This flood has made me understand I have way to much stuff (that I won't use) and if I can get rid of some to a friend that may use something it would be good for both of us,

Ed
n8ball

Post by n8ball »

Ed, you're the man. If I can pull the parts off the old engine I have, I will save a trip to Elko. But if I am out that way I may take you up on that offer.
kyle_pc_75

Post by kyle_pc_75 »

N8, I have lots of spares, too. And I'm not talking about what's on my non-running cars. ;)
BAJA-IT

Post by BAJA-IT »

The dizzy and alternator should transfer over, might have to do some rewiring on the alternator though (for the better).
BRAT Motorsports #936
Bolt Center: Salt Lake City, Ut
ACE: Air Cooled Engineering, now Black Line Racing
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

If I have the pictures in the right order, the old alternator is a Motorola with an external regulator in the little low profile silver box on the upper part of the fan shroud. The other alternator is a Bosch 2-wire internal regulator unit. So you will need to research that conversion. DaleM in the HBBoffroad forum over on the Samba is quite good at that sort of info.

The car is a late 1980s/early 90s Chenowth "Magnum" short course stadium race car with 5-link rear suspension. Excellent car. 4130 frame is quite rugged. These days it could be raced in short course "Super1600" class, or with a bigger fuel cell in desert races in Class 12, Class 10 or Sportsman.

The seat belts probably need to be "re-webbed" (exchange your old belts for new ones of the same type). Costs about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of new belts. New fuel and oil hoses would probably be good. Otherwise it should be good for racing in any organization.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting