engine parts order placed

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
neilb

engine parts order placed

Post by neilb »

just placed an order with DRD for a 2258cc kit with some DRD L6 ported big valve heads and a drd 284 cam. i have emailed Darren multiple times (sure he's sick of hearing from me lol)

i feel quite happy with my choice but i have no idea of how this will deliver power or how much, i'm used to water cooled turbo engines.

any views on this?
wreck

Re: engine parts order placed

Post by wreck »

Power depends a lot on how well the engine is put together , things like even deck heights and compression ratios , rocker geometry . are a few things that some people just don't know about and aren't set up correctly . the exhaust with make a huge difference on how the engine works , what are you using for carbs/injection ?
No matter where you go , there you are !
neilb

Post by neilb »

using an autronic sm4 fuel Injection.

so on the subject of rocker geometry is std not good enough?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Standard rocker geometry is only "standard" on a dead stock motor with new, non flycut heads.

Change the cam? Change the base circle of the cam? Put T1 lifters in it? longer valves? 911 swivel feet?
EVERYTHING MOVES.

Plan on cut to length CrMo pushrods and elephants foot adjuster screws, and a solid rocker spacer kit, and HD rocker studs, as the 7mm stock studs have been known to fail on stockers.

The 911 valve adjusters work well, and require 8mm threaded rockers (1.7L only). They reduce wear on the guides noticably as long as geometry is set up reasonably right.

There are 10mm adjusters for the 1.8/2L rockers, thread going on TOS, made in Germany.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
wreck

Post by wreck »

Autronic is good stuff , 2 friends run it on their drag cars , if you do searches on setting up rocker geometry on STF and the samba you should be able to find some good info . what is it going in ? . CSP do a good exhaust system, you would need at least a 15/8 system for that combo .
recently at the VW meeting at Nambucca Heads a racer who normally runs a turbo subj notch back had a drive of an NA 2007 cc bug , he couldn't believe how instant the power was , no waiting for a turbo to spool .
neilb

Post by neilb »

its going in a 356 coupe i'm currently building, it should have plenty of grunt as they weigh the same as an empty shoebox lol

its not being built for racing or drag runs but more of a daily driver for spirited drives around town

thanks for the advice i shall have a look and see what i find, i'm sure i'll have plenty more questions!...
neilb

Post by neilb »

i do have the 1.7 rockers that came with the engine, as i keep reading these seem to be the most wanted... why is that
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

As above, they have the correct sized thread for 911 adjusters.
neilb

Post by neilb »

ah, so basically i need the 911 screw adjusters, some solid spacers and shims between the rockers and shims and stronger bolts to mount the rocker shafts to the heads! sounds too easy... obviously something will turn up to prove otherwise lol
wreck

Post by wreck »

What cooling system are you using ? A good mate of mine will be very jealous ,He want's to do a 356 with a good Type 4 .
neilb

Post by neilb »

hopefully i shall be able to do what i really want to do and use a replica 356 4 cam cooling system modified to fit the type 4. that would be my number 1 choice, closely followed by a 911 fan conversion because i like the look. i know some people think they don't work as good as some other systems but they seem to work on the 911. so who knows.
wreck

Post by wreck »

If you can get a replica 4 cam gen/alt mount and fan set for an affordable price please share the source :-)
The up right(bug) Cali style systems cool more evenly , the 911 style over cool #1 and #3 and don't supply enough air to #2 and #4 unless you spend a lot of time with 4 thermocouples and making ducting to direct the air . first hand experience on that :-)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

neilb wrote:ah, so basically i need the 911 screw adjusters, some solid spacers and shims between the rockers and shims and stronger bolts to mount the rocker shafts to the heads! sounds too easy... obviously something will turn up to prove otherwise lol

You get to set up rocker geometry. That takes care of it. :lol:

Really its not that bad if you start with 1.5-2mm hardened under the rocker arm mounts, for the few setups I have tried it works very well. (stock and 163/86b, 86b@112, 119@12 reduced base circle, Web 73 and 494 cams, various engine combos) It usually becomes an exercise in finding the right pushrod length.

FJCamper is working on a center mount CB shroud insert that will provde uniform flow... Would still work for a Cali cooling setuup.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
neilb

Post by neilb »

Piledriver wrote:You get to set up rocker geometry. That takes care of it. :lol:

Really its not that bad if you start with 1.5-2mm hardened under the rocker arm mounts, for the few setups I have tried it works very well. (stock and 163/86b, 86b@112, 119@12 reduced base circle, Web 73 and 494 cams, various engine combos) It usually becomes an exercise in finding the right pushrod length.
thanks for the tips, i'll let you all know how i get on when its all delivered :)
neilb

Post by neilb »

wreck wrote:If you can get a replica 4 cam gen/alt mount and fan set for an affordable price please share the source :-)
The up right(bug) Cali style systems cool more evenly , the 911 style over cool #1 and #3 and don't supply enough air to #2 and #4 unless you spend a lot of time with 4 thermocouples and making ducting to direct the air . first hand experience on that :-)
i have emailed a guy i know in the us regarding 4 cam cooling, i am also working on a 3d model of the stand and twin fan that could be made over here in oz.