really jerky under load??

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
andy198712

really jerky under load??

Post by andy198712 »

So

MS1 2.2 with EDIS and GSXR ITBs.

was running fine on ALPHA N, then i plugged in a tablet id been using and it said the usual do you want to send new settings, so i foolishly clicked yes as i normally do.... car was idling and on pushing send, car goes lean and dies....

won't restart as its now way lean, on what seemed like the same tune as before...?

restored old tune and same issue, numbers are way lean?

what could i have done wrong?

i have it running now, but where i was idling on the VE table on a figure of 16 IRRC now i'm in the 30's for fuel...

under load the car violently jerks and bucks badly, but i can ease it up to speed and its runs ok ish... but put it under much load and its bucking away...

any ideas?

msg and data log are in here
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... ff69b838e0

anyone take a look over the little settings and see if i've messed anything up?

As a side note, my charging system is failing too and my battery isn't being charged :( as seen in the log. so got a new voltage reg on its way. but it did failed before and it still ran fine.

cheers
Andy
Piledriver

Re: really jerky under load??

Post by Piledriver »

Could still be voltage related, the dwell and injector PW have voltage compensation tables that usually only get used when cranking... Charge your battery (and test battery, could be headed south) and that doesn't do it, try reloading tune/firmware.
Low voltage can corrupt comms/tune and firmware.
Will take a look at the log when I get home from work, but charge the battery first.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

yeah tried it with a fully charged battery and it reads nearly 13volts then down to 12.3 with ignition on and idle if i recall correctly, think it dropped to 10. something when i cranked it till it started.

but its not getting charged. could have goosed the battery but the reg is failing and its under charging and not over charging which is a plus for the battery, its only a few months old too, yusa too so not a crazy cheap make. (well when I've checked its been under charging, it could have been spiking)

when i plugged in my tablet, it showed the old tune on the ecu as being all 50 ( think) on the VE table i think (only glanced before clicking send stupidly)
and the tune defiantly was not all 50 across the whole table! so that ties in with your low voltage messing with my ecu.....

how do you reload the firmware? is that the extra firmware? if i recall i need a windows device for that right? or wrong? i remember a few years back when i flashed EXTRA on it i needed a windows laptop..... i do have a windows tablet now though...

Thanks buddy!

new regulator on its way and should arrive monday so can fit that then and get that issue sorted hopefully, either that or a new alternator (porsche 911 one sadly $$$)
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

when i adjust the timing in the map, the idle speed does change so i know its not in limp mode

looked at my plug, 3&4 look like this, as does 1

but number 2 is the rich one on the left (right is number 1)

could an injector be stuck open? i also noticed as i shut off, i looked down the throats with the throttle open and on the 3&4 fuel vapour/smoke/steam what ever came up as normal, and number 1 did too, but number 2 had nothing? maybe the valve closed or....?

that was why i checked the plugs to see if it was wet but it was just sooty
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You can use Windows or Linux, either works well, the firmware is developed on Linux, so if anything it's better tested.
I use Linux as a rule, although I have booted into Windows for a sanity check from time to time.

Generally the only thing I use Windows for is keeping windows updated.

I think the latest version of TS has a firmware loader, maybe the beta.

The loader that comes with the firmware aaalworks very well these days.
I would put a trickle charge on the battery while loading the firmware, or at least make sure it was fully topped up.
Pull the fuses for the coils and injectors as the I/O ports go funky while loading firmware
(undefined state, means they can do whatever they want)

I would open and take a look at a saved tune and load it first, with fully charged battery, see if that cures it.

Save early and often,,,,,, HD space is cheap.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Okay I'll give it a go loading up firmware again :)
Did you get chance to look at the tune? I can't work out what I messed up on?!

Checked today, engine running, open throttle I can see all injectors spraying fuel.
I tried to remove the plug wore on number two, it's idled sane ish (smoothly)but when I Rev it, it's much worse and coughed ect.
Cleaned up the plug and put it back in to try tomorrow. Will also try and do firmware too then and report back :)
Cheers!
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I didn't look at it as it was a corrupt tune load.

Charge your battery and reload a known good tune.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

corrupt tune load, is that the way i uploaded it or?

tried reloading old tune when i first had the issue from a restore point but it just went way lean again. :(
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

What's this setting do you know?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I think you need to confirm that your EDIS is set correctly by unplugging the Saw wire and checking that timing is at 10 degrees BTDC. You have to know where your timing is.
It is a process of elimination.
A compression check is needed.
A new set of plugs.
Check the Ohms on the wires to make sure they are good. Check for spark on the bad plug.

Why is your lower map set at 60???
Doesn't your engine pull more vacuum than that??
I have my lower set at 30 and the upper is at 250.
I can pull down to 30 on throttle let off and that is a tune-able area too.
If I were you I would remap from 30 to 100 KPA.
Go 30,40,50,60,65,70,75,80,85,90,95,100.
Mind you this is only a suggestion......I don't know for sure if that will make a difference or not.

I don't know if I can look at your tune since I have a different firmware and MS-2.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

cheers pal, working through the suggestions, refreshed the firmware just now and wrote a new map, going through every setting following the manual. just been out and its starts but very rich as i used the table generator but will tune that down, i didn't want to load an old tune encase it had the duff setting in it or something... probably not an issue but i'm happy to re tune.

doing that tonight, once i've done that i'll go to the compression route, need to borrow a tester. then plugs, and check leads, i've got carbon core ones and i'm trying to work out what they should be reading.

i set my bottom vac table there as thats where it idles so mapped it a bit like a TPS map, as in closed was the bottom row (but i know it'll draw more vacuum on over run) i'm on SD now but i started having the snag on ALPH N too so its not that
so this new tune, i have started at 40kpa and going up to 98kpa with finer adjustments at the top. will see how i get on, hopefully it was a firmware issue.

i just can't it get past my head how it can't be software related, it all started after i clicked send :(

cheers guys!
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

I'll post up my tune in progress tomorrow, BUT reflashed it, new tune from scratch, once I'd dropped the table by about 50 points in places, it's pulling great again! Needs work on acceration enrichment ect but got WOT at about 13:1 afr and its pulling hard again!

Thanks guys! Really helped me out :)