Your opinions on FI'ing my bus

blue72beetle

Your opinions on FI'ing my bus

Post by blue72beetle »

71 VW bus, 1600. I want to fuel inject it, I'm tired of fiddling with the carb. I've been going back and forth between two different ideas I have for it. Looking for people's opinions.

1. Go straight Mexican beetle fuel injection. This is attractive to me because it's no tuning, no messing. Just buy all the parts, bolt it up and go. There's plenty of documentation, info, and parts available online to support this.

2. Megasquirt. Something simple, an MS2 with Mexican intake and fuel injector parts. Set it up to drive some LS2 coils or an IGN-4. Going this route has a higher learning curve, and would probably cost a bit more too. I would also hate to destroy my engine while trying to tune it.
This option is attractive though, because I have a bunch of parts to build a 1776, and Megasquirt would be good for getting the most out of one of those, not to mention I could just swap all the MS and FI parts over to it when ready.

Depending on my mood I've been going back and forth over which option to pick. Kinda leaning toward Megasquirt. I've bought the Mexican parts, and I'm getting toward the point where I'm going to be buying more parts, but I have to choose a path before I do.
Just looking for some of y'alls opinions.
66brm

Re: Your opinions on FI'ing my bus

Post by 66brm »

I think Mario has a kit based on the microsquirt ecu with the mexi intake that's almost plug and play, I would contact him at the dubshop and discuss what you are after, he can also help with tuning etc
damo99

Post by damo99 »

i would be looking at the megasquirt or microsquirt
megasquirt/microsquirt will give you more adjustability for latter on if you want to do modifications or add a turbo ect .
mario (dub shop)has a full mexi system with ignition and everything you need to get up and running .
if you already have evrything mario can give you a base map for the megasquirt/microsquirt to get you going .
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

If you go with Megasquirt, don't corner yourself with a Microsquirt. Unless you don't plan on making any changes down the road. You will be limited to what you can or can't do. If you have gotten the Mexican parts already, you are practically done :)
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
blue72beetle

Post by blue72beetle »

MarioVelotta wrote:If you go with Megasquirt, don't corner yourself with a Microsquirt. Unless you don't plan on making any changes down the road. You will be limited to what you can or can't do. If you have gotten the Mexican parts already, you are practically done :)
Well I did put in an order for the Mexican parts from you a few weeks ago, so I'm covered there :wink:

No offense to Mario or his kits, but I want to piece this together and build it up myself, without buying a ready made kit. I like the challenge.

I'll be ordering a Megasquirt 2 soon, I have the Mexican intake coming from Mario, and I've got Beetle 1600i injectors coming from Mexico. I'll probably get a trigger crank setup from Mario also. I decided upon using an IGN-4 with the BIP373 route, that seems to be a simple set up and I understand it.

Fuel pump and regulator, I'm not sure of yet. I do like the stock Mexican Beetle fuel pumps, you don't need to make a return line in the tank, the return goes right back to the fuel pump. But genuine VW pumps are expensive.

I'll probably do an LC2 wideband, but I'm not sure which exhaust I'm going to use. I'd like to use the stock muffler if I go with the 1600. I also have a dual quiet pack, but unsure of where I'll put the O2 on either exhaust.

And last question for now, what do people use for the intake sensor on the Mexican intake? MAP or MAF?
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

blue72beetle wrote:Well I did put in an order for the Mexican parts from you a few weeks ago, so I'm covered there :wink:
Hey Andrew! Welcome :mrgreen:
blue72beetle wrote:And last question for now, what do people use for the intake sensor on the Mexican intake? MAP or MAF?
MAP. That's what the factory used as well.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

on my single quiet pack, i put the sensor on the header, about an inch or two in from the flange on the header and the wire goes up into the area above, under the rear tin... if that makes sense?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

blue72beetle wrote:
MarioVelotta wrote:If you go with Megasquirt, don't corner yourself with a Microsquirt. Unless you don't plan on making any changes down the road. You will be limited to what you can or can't do. If you have gotten the Mexican parts already, you are practically done :)
Well I did put in an order for the Mexican parts from you a few weeks ago, so I'm covered there :wink:

No offense to Mario or his kits, but I want to piece this together and build it up myself, without buying a ready made kit. I like the challenge.

I'll be ordering a Megasquirt 2 soon, I have the Mexican intake coming from Mario, and I've got Beetle 1600i injectors coming from Mexico. I'll probably get a trigger crank setup from Mario also. I decided upon using an IGN-4 with the BIP373 route, that seems to be a simple set up and I understand it.

Fuel pump and regulator, I'm not sure of yet. I do like the stock Mexican Beetle fuel pumps, you don't need to make a return line in the tank, the return goes right back to the fuel pump. But genuine VW pumps are expensive.

I'll probably do an LC2 wideband, but I'm not sure which exhaust I'm going to use. I'd like to use the stock muffler if I go with the 1600. I also have a dual quiet pack, but unsure of where I'll put the O2 on either exhaust.

And last question for now, what do people use for the intake sensor on the Mexican intake? MAP or MAF?
Have a look at the PLX brand of AFR gauge...I have one and am very happy with it.
It uses a 2 1/16 inch gauge for display and can also be daisy chained if you ever want other sensors that they offer.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.