what size generator to power a

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
rubbachicken

what size generator to power a

Post by rubbachicken »

we are moving, right now our apartment is directly above our garage.
the new place we've yet to know where our garage, i know it won't have power :(
so i need to buy a generator, it needs to be powerful enough so i can weld still.
i have a lincon weldpac 140, what size generator do i need to buy it run the welder still ?
SCOTTRODS

Re: what size generator to power a

Post by SCOTTRODS »

A Big Generator will be required to run a welding rig... Might want to move up to a welder/generator instead...
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

rubbachicken wrote:we are moving, right now our apartment is directly above our garage.
the new place we've yet to know where our garage, i know it won't have power :(
so i need to buy a generator, it needs to be powerful enough so i can weld still.
i have a lincon weldpac 140, what size generator do i need to buy it run the welder still ?
I would say that any 5K-6K watt gen w/ a 20A 110AC circuit should be fine for running that. Check local pawn shops for good deals on those. Pretty common.
tattooed_pariah

Post by tattooed_pariah »

Any recommendations for someone renting a house with a detached garage that doesn't have a 220 plug for a Millermatic 180 w/Autoset? (I specify renting because it means I can't (and the landlord won't) install a plug..)

Would a 5-6K gen support me as well or should I aim higher? I've had this welder since 2008 and have yet to have a plug to use it :(
-pariah

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.

1972 VolksRod Build Thread
turboblue

Post by turboblue »

Amperage x voltage = wattage.
Go somewhat bigger than the rated amperage draw of your welder.
Gary

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy
2013 Polaris Ranger 4x4
My Website
Shop Facebook Page
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Get a generator rated about 50% MORE than rating on welder ... IF rating on welded on input supply line is something like 20 amp, get a generator capable of 30 amp out put (surge). Ever time you strike a arc the surge of current (though instantaneous) will be big, and if generator is to small it will "stall" every time you strike a arc and each brownout of power cant be good for internal electronics...

Find a welding web site (manufacturers) and ask question there to see what pros recommendation may be...

IF Hobart... http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/
If Miller.... http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/co ... /forum.php
IF Harbor Freight ... Well you are out of luck....

Use Turboblues formula to find basics of "power " needed for welder...

The inverse of turboblue's formula is watts divided by voltage equals amperage (watts / volts = amps) ...

Usually a generator will say maybe 7000 watts (or whatever) surge and 5500 watts normal, but look at the plugs and circuit breakers for output, they will usually say 20 amp at 120 volts or 30 amp at 240 volts.... This is the telling factor...The big flashy numbers is overall output (surge) if not what actual output circuit rating is....

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
tattooed_pariah

awesome, exactly the kind of information I needed. Thanks guys!
-pariah

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.

rubbachicken

Post by rubbachicken »

so far the best new option i have found is from costco 9k peak watts
http://www.costco.com/Champion-7000W-Ru ... 20385.html
i think this should do it.
there was a monster 10k watt, welder generator on craigslist for $1k, but it's gone now :(
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I know it isn't exactly what you were thinking, but I would make a “re-purposing the dryer circuit” cable for a stable 20amp/110v service. It is hard to concentrate with a gas generator going, never mind the attention.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
rubbachicken

Post by rubbachicken »

it'd be very nice, i'm in a rental ina huge shitty complex, my garage is 300 yards from my apartment, i can just about see the door.
generator it is, i don't have a choice.
the quiet honda generators would be fine, if i didn't want/need to use the welder

sideshow wrote:I know it isn't exactly what you were thinking, but I would make a “re-purposing the dryer circuit” cable for a stable 20amp/110v service. It is hard to concentrate with a gas generator going, never mind the attention.
rubbachicken

Post by rubbachicken »

is this one overkill.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/tls/5108058362.html
i'm not sure i can get the wife to agree to $1k, and i don't expect it's all that quiet
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You can TIG with a welder/generator... Some are AC/DC so you can do aluminum.
Ideally find one with the "remote" connector and gas valve so you can TIG properly.

OTOH the 15 year old Legend is only a 4KW generator...
So it might run your mig on a low-medium setting.

You would likely be better off getting a good used inverter based all-in-one that will merrily run off a genset.
My 181i runs all day running off a 100' 10 ga extension cord with no issues.(220v only)
(MIG/TIG/Stick/Spoolgun, although my converted 250A Firepower spoolgun sees 90% of the work)

They make a 110/220v version now.

You can frequently pick one up cheap from folks who bought one and ~never used it.

If I ever move again it will be to a huge garage/workshop with a small living area attached.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
tattooed_pariah

sideshow wrote:I know it isn't exactly what you were thinking, but I would make a “re-purposing the dryer circuit” cable for a stable 20amp/110v service. It is hard to concentrate with a gas generator going, never mind the attention.

That's almost never been an option for me.. when I bought the welder, the house I was renting had the washer/dryer inside, I would have to run an extension cord the garage, which I was willing to do, but never got around to buying one (damn things are expensive for a good one.. I was checking RV supply stores..). The next house I rented had the washer/dryer in the garage, but they were gas. This house has the washer/dryer in the house, with a detached garage about 30 feet away.. Generator is my best option, plus it can be used if the power goes out during a storm/tornado/flooding whatever else Virginia is gonna get..
-pariah

rubbachicken

Post by rubbachicken »

i ended up buying a generator from costco
9000w peak, it's huge, it sounds like a jackhammer, i hate it, but it does the job.
i'm sure my neighbors are not huge fans of it either