What is it called because I need one

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
super beetle

What is it called because I need one

Post by super beetle »

I need the sheet metal mount that the right rear tail light sits on that mounts to the right rear fender of a 1971 Super Beetle. I can not find it on any of the popular VW parts Supply houses. (Maybe because I don't know what it is called.) Does aanybody know what it is called or have one for sale? I am going to post this on the body work forum also.
Thanks
Marc

Re: What is it called because I need one

Post by Marc »

Do you mean the tail light "housing", to which the reflector/bulbholder and lens attach? US-market 1971 and 1972 are unique, although they resemble 1970 (as well as the `68/`69 without side reflector) they are larger. Standard and Super take the same parts here.

The P/N you're after for a US-market `71/`72 is 113 945 216A
....the similar numbers 111 945 216A, 111 945 216B, and 113 945 216 are not the same thing.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1642451
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1387894
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

I'm pretty sure that I have one off a 71.....somewhere in a box, I just moved.
71 Ghia Coupe........For Sale
71 Super-Beetle Convertible.....returning to DD status
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

OK, since the thread name fits, lets keep it going :twisted:

I need the little rubber bushings where the brake lines go into the pan to keep water out.
My google-fu has been letting me down.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Are you taking about the one in front by the pedal assembly?

http://www.jbugs.com/product/211-751.html

A set of them not sure which one might be right.
Marc

Post by Marc »

http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... ctid=17559

You can make a cheap & serviceable (although unpretty) substitute by using a razor blade to make a spiraling cut through a short length of braid-reinforced fuel hose. Wrap it around the pipe, push it into position and then daub RTV over both ends.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

On my black buggy I have a similar problem dealing with brake and clutch lines but had never thought about doing a search for the availability of existing VW style of grommets'. With the using of an aftermarket pedal assembly. the shortest brake line I could find as about 2" short of going through the front cross-piece after forming. the next longest, non-custom length, was way too long to accommodate the hooking up of a turning brake assembly so the option I felt was to stop short for the cross-piece and run the lines (brake and hydraulic clutch) going aft though the cross-piece and making the join outside of the cabin/on the frame head side of the cross-piece. I found a pack of washers that would roll over the brake line's nut as well as giving me a tight fit on the brake line; the hole it fit would be the same size of a hole that it would take for the brake line's nut to go through the front cross-piece; my plan is/was to use two grommets, one on each side of the cross-piece.

The OEM type of split grommet I found (and posted) does not look as long as the one that Marc found which looks like a better fit, at lest for me. I looked and debated hard into the split hose method that Marc described but I felt that while the hose could be made longer and should hold OK I just wasn't comfortable going that direction especially with all the brake and clutch work I sometimes have to do (clamping is going to be a bit awkward in my case). I have done the split hose method before but was not happy with it in the long run (no pun intended)... for many reasons.

For what it is worth. Lee

Lee

Edit, this is what drove me to look into other options:

I have to make a sharp turn as soon as the brake line goes into the passenger compartment and down the tunnel to miss the throttle pedal. I could go around like the VW engineers did but with two lines I think it is going to be easily damaged.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Check the hot mess I have under my master cylinder... might provide some ideas.

Also shows where the 2 rear going brake line holes are on T3s.
(I guess fully dual circuit w/4 piston split fronts were a factory Option in Sweden, my 73 at least has the additional required holes to run it w/o drilling)

Of course now I cant find them on my harddrive, and I did not post them where I really meant to.
I will jack the car up and post a pic tomorrow, Lee.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thanks Pile. As I said, I also have to accommodate no front brakes and turning brakes mounted on the tunnel :roll: w/ one line going down each side of the tunnel. I had bent up a 6" line for the clutch side (the longest naturally). If I custom made (length) lines then I probably could do more but it has been since the early 60's since I faired tubing (home made brake lines were, as I remember, illegal at that time due to miss-use of materials [e.g., copper being used] or improperly made flairs in the hard tube of the time) and never have made bubble flairs.

Looking forward to the pix.

Lee
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Bubble flares etc are trivial to make, although I just bent and looped premade sections for my T3.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I don't have the specialty tool to make bubble flares although I have seen it done with a standard double flaring tool. :roll: All but one of the flares that were made for me like that worked great but the one (only) had a tendency to weep when my buggy was sitting idle for long periods of time. When I had the turning brake it was hooked to fail, on the same side where the weeping was; when I replaced the assembly the weeping stopped (the damp spot at the fitting so it may have been the receptacle in the brake assembly. The last turning brake assembly had 90° fittings included where I had the problem).

Lee
super beetle

Post by super beetle »

Marc
Taillight Housing, Yup thats it (Brain fade) thanks.

mountainkowboy
Did ya ever find one? I bought an 1971 Super "Sedan" to Fixup/restore/Customize/screw up (for the purests out there) and then came across a 1971 Super "Vert" basket case. I decided that the best way to store it (till the Sedan is done) is to assemble it. I can't mount the taillight because I have no Right "Housing) In my (hey thats a great "IDEA) moment I thought that all the parts that were not up to par on the "Sedan" and replaced, I could use on the "Vert" "Hows that going so far? you may ask. Not as well as I had hoped. anyway I now know about "5 million times" about VW's Bugs that I did not know 2 years ago. And do ya know what? I still don't know S#&*.. But I am learning.
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

super beetle wrote:Marc
Taillight Housing, Yup thats it (Brain fade) thanks.

mountainkowboy
Did ya ever find one?
Its in my storage shed, with EVERYTHING else, packed to the gills waiting for me to build my shop/shed. Do you need it now? I might be able to find the right box but nothing is marked.
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)
super beetle

Post by super beetle »

mountainkowboy
I went to the Samba site that Marc linked and the guy in California has one that I can get shipped for $25.00. So you don't need to hunt thru boxes. I just went the same route last year when I had a 24x40 3 bay door garage built (its too small) because I am a pack rack.. But now I have all my hobbies/honey-do spare parts segregated. (I also have a bay dedicated to my Vert.) The Sedan is in its dedicated spot in my 2 car garage next to the wife's Jeep. Let me know when you get yours built and start your rebuild.
mountainkowboy

Post by mountainkowboy »

super beetle wrote:mountainkowboy
I went to the Samba site that Marc linked and the guy in California has one that I can get shipped for $25.00. So you don't need to hunt thru boxes. I just went the same route last year when I had a 24x40 3 bay door garage built (its too small) because I am a pack rack.. But now I have all my hobbies/honey-do spare parts segregated. (I also have a bay dedicated to my Vert.) The Sedan is in its dedicated spot in my 2 car garage next to the wife's Jeep. Let me know when you get yours built and start your rebuild.
An on going process....lol.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=143325
63 IH Scout 80 (beater)