MSD 6AL digital

dcd

MSD 6AL digital

Post by dcd »

hi i have new project engine which is considered of 2276cc engine with web cam 86a 290D with 1.4 rockers the heads are from CB 42x37.5 wedge port cnc that said that it can make more than 200hp , this thing is going to start with mega squirt 2 ,my big ????? is in MSD dist. it came 6 option for setting the springs which one is for my combo how to start knowing which one is the best performance could give ,10x a lot who can give some advice....
Steve Arndt

Re: MSD 6AL digital

Post by Steve Arndt »

Wedge ports (huge port volume) with the Web 86A is a bit of a miss match.

What is your fuel choice and what is your compression set at?

Depending on the compression ratio and fuel that will influence the timing curves you need.
dcd

Post by dcd »

8.5 to 9 ratio for CR
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

You will probably need quite a bit of initial advance (say 14 at idle). Ramping up fairly quickly to all in by 2500 RPMs. Figure 30 degrees +/- 3 under full load. Choose the advance limits and springs to come close to those numbers and you will be in the ball park.

I run the 86A (115LC version) at 12.5:1 compression ratio on pump 91 octane (super sqhish pistons). 40x35 heavily ported heads. I have to really play with the timing map to keep it happy with that compression.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You have a ms2, you can run fully programmable timing using mostly what you have if you wish.
You can run the MSD and even the distributor.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Very true. You can "lock" your MSD distributor and use it to trigger your MS2.
My general timing numbers I gave can still help get your ignition mapping started.

I like the 86A quite a bit. It idles smooth and pulls hard to 6500.
dcd

Post by dcd »

ok but i never done locking it can you tell or show how to do it , another ??? what it should be my idle timing degree , and about injectors , do i need low or high impedance how much cc injector is enough to my application .....
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

There should be instructions from msd for locking it i would think. High impedance injectors are easiest to deal with. There are calculators out there to help figure our injector size based on your hp goals. Google is your friend. I like to see what is recommended, and then add 15-20% with future hp upgrades in mind. With the right injector, you can have good idle quality and high hp potential. I have 96lb/hr injectors on my turbo'd 2276. It idles nice and lean at 825rpm, yet has the fuel flow to support over 400hp on gasoline if i ever need it too. I'm not saying you need anywhere near this, but a set of 48lb/hr might not be a bad place to start.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

dcd

Post by dcd »

ok i have decided to lock my dis. and set it from MS2 but what is best idle advance to start ? i know that max advance will be 32degree
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Max advance will be whatever your motor wants. 32 degrees is a good max advance with a 009. Yours may differ. Mine does.
I think a lot of us with programable ignitions are in the low to mid teens at idle. Some guys go into the high single digits. It all just depends on your combo.
dcd

Post by dcd »

so how to start the timing adjustment any info be great , as i told my engine is 2276cc with cb 1410 heads web cam 86a 1.4 rockers MSD 6al digital dist. locked CR 8.5 to 9 range and what is my rpm limit and HP will be and timing max can be set ....
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I have 12 degrees of initial at 100 KPA, more cam may want more (and your motor is not the same).
You will also want to add 15-25 degrees if "vacuum advance" (keeps the EGT and CHT down at low maps or running lean of stoich at cruise etc)

That's the base map--- Idle has it's own timing table and VE table, and the the system can tweak the timing in real time to maintain a stable idle speed as well. (as well as a stepper or PWM controlled IAC)

This all assumes you have the MSextra firmware loaded.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.