Funco SS2 Barn find

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Funco SS2 Barn find

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

[quote="madmitch"]Image

Does this mean that the solid torsion bar have two adjustments or two jam nuts for strength?
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:
madmitch wrote:Image

Does this mean that the solid torsion bar have two adjustments or two jam nuts for strength?
Not sure on that. I couldn't figure out the 2 grub screw thing 'til I noticed the solid bars this afternoon.
If you feel you are picking up speed you may be going downhill.
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

90 in w/b is soon to be more.
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

madmitch

Post by madmitch »

Another fine STFer comer thru with a loaned pair of IRS jigs

madmitch

Post by madmitch »

madmitch

Post by madmitch »

Right now the plans are to build for desert buggy LOORRS class for 15 year old to drive next season with easy switch to limited buggy class if it goes well and grades are C and above.
JUSSUMGUY

Post by JUSSUMGUY »

madmitch wrote:4 wheel hurst airheart disc brakes. 2 pucks on rear wheels, 1 on each front

rear hub and disc
ImageImage

Front hub and disc. Note wheel bearing nut and solid torsion bars.Image
Good looking project. I have the same calipers on the back of 560. Might even be the same hubs and rotors. does it say "Baron Ind." anywhere on the hub?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Your really getting serious and moving fast on this build... good job. My wife would be proud of me if I worked this hard on my buggy. :wink:
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

Good looking project. I have the same calipers on the back of 560. Might even be the same hubs and rotors. does it say "Baron Ind." anywhere on the hub?[/quote]

No the hub part for the rear is a vw drum machined down. The aluminum adapter that the rotor bolts to doesn't have any markings.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

Cool deal Mitch.

Since our group no longer does Tech for that series, I probably won't see you out there. Maybe at Glen Helen Baja Cup?

We'll be there at Glen Helen this weekend for the relocated MORE Powder Puff race. Since the Feds are off, they closed the desert down. MORE paid for the BLM Rangers to be there and even though paid in advance and not coming out of the Federal government's pocket, it's still shut down. If I were MORE, I'd be talking to attorneys about suing for breach of contract.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

I screwed up and cut the torsion tubes too long on my fabricated housing. I measured the stock housing where the plates bolt on and cut to that length then bolted the clip jigs on and tacked the clips in place. Now I am wondering if the jigs are for a stock housing or fabricated housing. I'll find out soon enough. I cut the end plates off today and will tack them on and see if the trailing arms line up.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

madmitch wrote:I screwed up and cut the torsion tubes too long on my fabricated housing. I measured the stock housing where the plates bolt on and cut to that length then bolted the clip jigs on and tacked the clips in place. Now I am wondering if the jigs are for a stock housing or fabricated housing. I'll find out soon enough. I cut the end plates off today and will tack them on and see if the trailing arms line up.
Note that with a fabricated housing, the ends where the bushings go are flat plate. With a stock torsion housing, the end forgings (they are NOT castings - you wouldn't be able to arc weld castings very well) are formed so the grommets fit inside the end. There are torsion bushings made specifically for a fabricated housing which fit into the tube and have a flange to bush between the spring plate and the end plate. The spring plates should wind up the same distance apart as in a stock housing and the spacing of the end plates should take into account the flanges on the bushings.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Hedrock

Post by Hedrock »

Hey #1... Here is a pic of what Dusty's talking about. The one in the box would be the inner.

Collecting parts again... No I'm not going to say why!
madmitch

Post by madmitch »

I know what you are talking about Dustymo. I'm just glad I realized it before the torsion was welded in. I checked the spring plates and pivot brackets tonight with a trailing arms all mocked up and the clips are in the right place. My conclusion is that the fixtures are made from a stock torsion housing. If you were fabing a housing, one would need 3/4" spacers between the fixtures and the end plates to get the pivot brackets in the right place. Mine are good because I tacked them in place with the housing the same width as stock.