Why did you pick the Type 4 conversion?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
ornjkr8

Re: Why did you pick the Type 4 conversion?

Post by ornjkr8 »

I could assemble a decent 1700 upright for wayy less than a T1 of comparable cc and quality(OG) I was looking at about $3000 for a T1 built from Good German or American parts. I might of lucked out getting a 1700 that needs nothing,so that gives me lots of space in my budget for goodies.Even if I end up at $3000 for the build, the result will be much sturdier
r_towle

Post by r_towle »

Cause I own 914's and I have a few spare parts lying around....its part of owning a 914...you collect parts cars.
fasty67

Post by fasty67 »

So I always wanted to do SOME TYPE of conversion in my Fastback. I have looked into Kennedy kits for several years to see what my options were. I've been focused on body work for a while. Recently the GF prompted me to start working on making the, "garage stealing", car RUN. So my local VW parts shop guy came into my work and I told him I was looking for an engine for my car. He says I have a built Porsche engine for ya on my garage floor make me an offer>>>>> Convinced this is by far the easiest CONVERSION, I bought it for $300. As the story went.... just needs rings and carbs it will bolt right in>>>>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Turned out cylinders and heads trashed, need conversion flywheel, and so on :x
still a good shortblock and complete sheet metal I'm OK with that for 3 bills.

On my way with it now. New heads, 36m Dellortos, etc. Learned a TON here and on Tuna's site.
Still need a few things; P/C set, flywheel, Viton seals :wink: etc.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If it is, upgrade it!
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Damn, all of my posts were deleted. :(

E
VW_Man_87

Post by VW_Man_87 »

i did my t4 but left if pancake cooling for my ghia. i paid $200 for a 2.0l type 4 from a porsche 914, from craigslist, and spent maybe $700 to convert it to carb and be able to work on a t1 trans.
im in need of a new front clip for my 74 ghia, i dont care what year its from but i need one in order to fix my front end, can anyone help out?
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

Got pictures of it VW?

E
62Bug4

Post by 62Bug4 »

I tell everyone its because im a purest. And by the time you build a type 1 that is comparable, its 99% aftermarket.
jacquo

Post by jacquo »

hello to all
I just discovered this great forum, I'm French and I ride every day with my 59 ragtop

the type 4 engine, just to be different !!!
this is a 2165cc associated with a gearbox porsche 901-13, wonderful !!!

jacquo

Post by jacquo »

the chassis

E_bug

Post by E_bug »

I found a steal deal on a remanufactured 1641 that was forgotten in a garage for many years but still i traded a subaru ea82 for a type iv euro CJ 2.0'to have as a spare project.
I love that everything is massive on the type iv along with a strong aluminum case.
:D
My welding sucks .
craigvwdude

Post by craigvwdude »

Soo,,, why did I pick the type 4 for my conversion....
Because I'm sick of the crappy type 1 cases and heads. Type 1 cases are weak, crack easy, pound out the center main saddles, ect... I could go on.. Same with the heads. Prone to cracking, and to me, a poor exhaust port. How do those things breath?
I've built a few type 4 engines for other people, sold a couple, and now it's time for me.
I have been gathering parts for a while now and by the end of summer I hope to have a engine ready for my daily 67 bug. Right now I'm in the middle of freshing up the stock 1600. Dealing with a cracked case and heads. And trying to find decent rebuildable parts are getting harder to find. This is just a temp engine until I finish one of my type 4's.
I can't wait!
splitime

Post by splitime »

Looks like I'll be joining this club... going this route because I stumbled across a longblock that hopefully is a clean platform. "Ran when parked" type information...

I like the idea of a newer style air cooled engine to learn on, i'll be rebuilding a less handy H case 1500 to resell and doing this 1.7l I found for my 66 rebuild.

Hoping that all the old research here comes in handy... as most of the information that looks like it used to be hosted by Tuna is now gone? (his blog site)
splitime

Post by splitime »

splitime wrote:Looks like I'll be joining this club... going this route because I stumbled across a longblock that hopefully is a clean platform. "Ran when parked" type information...

I like the idea of a newer style air cooled engine to learn on, i'll be rebuilding a less handy H case 1500 to resell and doing this 1.7l I found for my 66 rebuild.

Hoping that all the old research here comes in handy... as most of the information that looks like it used to be hosted by Tuna is now gone? (his blog site)
After the drop of last night, officially have a 1800 dual carb in the garage. Sounds like I got the large OEM valve size to start, which is nice... now to go through it and hope its clean enough to use as mostly it sits.
Bob Brugge

Post by Bob Brugge »

For Racing!! Still in the trying to figure out what to put in it. I like the way the case is thicker and has internal ribs for strength. I really like that it has more room internally for a stroker crank, which leads me to believe that it may be easier to clearance for a 90 mm crank. I intend to use 103 or (Gasp!) maybe even 105 P&C's, then Turbo it! I know it is going to cost me ALOT of $$ but screw it, you can't take it with you, it beats drinking, and the $$ wont miss me when I croak off from too much fun, or I stroke when I tally up the cost. Engine will be going into a Baja that will be lowered back down, with full sized Fiberglass fenders to run local circuit 1/8th mile. The thing is already cut up and lightened, so why not?
AS SEEN ON TV!
David Follett

Post by David Follett »

To Bob O. You're engine looks great. I'm about to complete installation of a T2 2.0L engine in my '69 Ghia. Purchased from PO who did a Rabi upright conversion, headers with PO's custom built exhaust and dual Webers.
Any idea what the HP may be?
The rear of your engine bay is open. Are there any concerns about the engine running too hot? I do not have any covering at the rear yet but concerned about over heating.
Dave in Vero Beach, Fl & Media, PA
VWDAVE