1968 fastback suby conversion

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
kooldub

1968 fastback suby conversion

Post by kooldub »

good day stf! finally have collected the major pieces to my conversion. been reading and reviewing subaru conversions for 4+ years! of course life and other vdubs get in the way of progress but here i am. little background... had this fasty for about 5yrs, had a 1914cc w/ dual dells in it. (still have the motor). dub is rusty but "looks good". of course, as with all my builds, this is a budget build. was going to do a 2.5L suby motor but our suby mechanic (wife has a impreza) had this 92 legacy to use for his vanagon conversion. he bought the "wrong" vanagon, 1982 and decided to sell it. he was the mechanic for this legacy for years and replaced the motor with a 65k mile motor then the trans went out. got my used KEP adapter/flywheel this week and now am ready to do this! much thanks for the write ups and pics on this forum! hope to get'r done in 6-10 weeks?!?!?

kris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 1968 fastback suby conversion

Post by 883 »

6-10weeks?!

I've been working on a stoopid tranny mount for that long....

Welcome to the madness kooldub, looking forward to your build.
No plan survives contact with the enemy.
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

Start the clock!
Welcome to STF kooldub. The longer it takes the more fun you will have...seems to be my mantra with the conversion 8)
56' Semaphore Ragtop Subaru (Build)
Subaru Engine & Transmission
Mendeola Suspension

69' Karmann Convertible (Build)
Suby AWD Driveline

05 Suby Baja Turbo - Stage 2+
07 Legacy Spec B - Stage 2
15 Suby Forester XT
fstbckgt

Post by fstbckgt »

Can't wait to see some subframe pics since I can find very little info online regarding a type 3 subaru swap. I've got tons of pictures and info on Bug and Ghia swaps but to have a subafasty or notch is higher on my list.

Post by 883 »

Someone has a whole seperate site detailing a T3 notch conversion. It came out super sweet.

If I can find it I'll post a link.
gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg »

Here's some pics from the Subarugears site - this T3 owner also installed a Subi trans, but at least there are some pics of the engine install and cooling pipes, etc. Looks like a clean install to me.

http://www.subarugears.com/Builds/Chris ... Chris.html
Dealer for Alloy Wheels & Period H4s and Fog/Driving Lights

http://www.greggearhead.com
kooldub

Post by kooldub »

thanks fellas! can't believe i've been a member here for almost ten years! started off wanting to put a t4 into my 73 fasty. anyway, i commute roundtrip 125 miles a day for work and go from about 5500 to over 9000ft in elevation, so gas milage and reliability were the main factors for the ej22 and stock ecu. plus like i said, a budget build. so far, money spend... $500 for suby (with title) $250 for used KEP adapter/flywheel, hoping to get my bro-in-law to shorten my oil pan for free. need to get a fuel pump. hope to use the stock radiator and fans (up front of course). should have less than 2500 into it, including the purchase price for the fasty! i have redone the brakes already, need to do some cleaning and sound deadening but for the most part the fasty is ready for the transplant.
fstbckgt

Post by fstbckgt »

883 wrote:Someone has a whole seperate site detailing a T3 notch conversion. It came out super sweet.

If I can find it I'll post a link.
If you're referring to subynotch's orange notch that was featured on speedhunters, his build site is far from comprehensive.
http://www.subynotch.com/
I have images from 4 or 5 type 3 builds after scouring the web for the last 5 or so years building up info, but not much in the frame reinforcement/ engine mount department as I wouldn't want to just hang the engine there without some reinforcement. When it comes to the type 1 bug/ghia department I have more than enough images from several builds to feel confident doing it myself. Unfortunately a ghia has always been second on my list after a fastback or notchback since the type 3 is the best looking VW ever made imo. Though it is hard to ignore the massive aftermarket support the type 1 pan enjoys.

Post by 883 »

fstbckgt wrote:If you're referring to subynotch's orange notch that was featured on speedhunters, his build site is far from comprehensive.
That's the one I was thinking about. And you're right. After looking back through it, it's mostly just highlights, not much nitty-gritty. Pretty notch though.
fstbckgt wrote: not much in the frame reinforcement/ engine mount department as I wouldn't want to just hang the engine there without some reinforcement.
I'm sure you have, but I'll ask anyway. Have you checked out what the bus guys are doing? Quite a few of them are using rear mounts, might be some ideas there. Otherwise, you might just have to be the trailblazer that documents for others to follow. We'll be happy to criticize. :lol: Really, this is a great place to post some pics and toss some ideas around.
fstbckgt wrote:the type 3 is the best looking VW ever made imo. Though it is hard to ignore the massive aftermarket support the type 1 pan enjoys.
I agree, have always loved the T3 lines, just haven't owned one since high-school. Might be next on my docket if this Baja turns out satisfactorily, and if I can find a T3 worth saving. The wife has been making a little noise about wanting a vintage VW. :shock: Bugs and Ghias are cool, but common. And what happened with the T4s? :shock:
fstbckgt

Post by fstbckgt »

883 wrote:
fstbckgt wrote:If you're referring to subynotch's orange notch that was featured on speedhunters, his build site is far from comprehensive.
That's the one I was thinking about. And you're right. After looking back through it, it's mostly just highlights, not much nitty-gritty. Pretty notch though.
fstbckgt wrote: not much in the frame reinforcement/ engine mount department as I wouldn't want to just hang the engine there without some reinforcement.
I'm sure you have, but I'll ask anyway. Have you checked out what the bus guys are doing? Quite a few of them are using rear mounts, might be some ideas there. Otherwise, you might just have to be the trailblazer that documents for others to follow. We'll be happy to criticize. :lol: Really, this is a great place to post some pics and toss some ideas around.

fstbckgt wrote:the type 3 is the best looking VW ever made imo. Though it is hard to ignore the massive aftermarket support the type 1 pan enjoys.
I agree, have always loved the T3 lines, just haven't owned one since high-school. Might be next on my docket if this Baja turns out satisfactorily, and if I can find a T3 worth saving. The wife has been making a little noise about wanting a vintage VW. :shock: Bugs and Ghias are cool, but common. And what happened with the T4s? :shock:
Yeah, subynotch has a beautiful car. When I first saw his build all those years ago I knew what my dream build was. Been scouring the web for info and ideas ever since. If I was able to start my swap I would. Once I move back to the mainland from honolulu I plan to pick up a car and start, I guess it's a good thing housing and parking out here are a pain in the ass or I'd have more cars than I'd know what to do with.
nunit

Post by nunit »

glad to see you got it
I shorten oil pans and reverse coolant manifolds for pretty cheap if your brother in law doesn't work out
nunit

Post by nunit »

Where are the progress pictures
kooldub

Post by kooldub »

just finishing up the cleaning of the fasty and hope to dive into the removal of the suby motor and wiring this weekend. did i say 6-10 weeks??!?! :shock: :lol: ok...starting....... now! :mrgreen:

kris
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

sub'd
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Six to ten weeks is quite ambitious, I hope you can get it done that quick. I'm at several years, for me life seems to have a way to side track my project.