Deserter GS to Suby EJ20 Turbo

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
surfbeetle

Re: Deserter GS to Suby EJ20 Turbo

Post by surfbeetle »

Nice Radiator! Find an aluminum baking sheet that meets your size requirements and cut a hole in the middle for the fan.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Thanks supaninja - I think it's going to be pretty cool too!

Surf - I've got my eye on a Fat-Daddio "shroud" as we speak! I think it's going to work out great. It'll need a bit of modification to fit the contours of the radiator, but still much easier than building from scratch and much less $$ than having a custom shroud made. I'll report more on this as it comes together.
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Hi

Very impressive build. I used a oil separator/breather unit from a US company called Grimmspeed, works great and keeps our EPA guys happy and doesn't allow oil fumes into the inlet tract.

https://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/prod ... tTSEpO8Z23

Steve
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Steve C wrote:Hi

Very impressive build. I used a oil separator/breather unit from a US company called Grimmspeed, works great and keeps our EPA guys happy and doesn't allow oil fumes into the inlet tract.

https://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/prod ... tTSEpO8Z23

Steve
Looks cool but it's half the cost of my entire motor. I'll just use my breather that I had on my VW motor.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

First look at the new fan shroud. Still a little rough around the edges, missing some hardware and needs some cleaning-up, but it's together and fully mocked up.

Fine use for a jelly roll pan! This 12" x 18" pan is just about a perfect fit for my Scirocco size radiator. The main thing in my case is keeping the fan about 1" from the radiator, necessary because of the space constraints. The pan was ideal for this. Nice 1/16" thick aluminum and very well made, courtest of Magic Line.

I added small sections of bar stock top and bottom to both reinforce the narrowest part due to the cut fan opening and provide a seal to the fan as it is slightly larger than the 12" dimension on the pan. The formed lip on top matched up perfectly with the top trim piece on the radiator.

I also had to add a lenght of 1" x 1/8" bar stock underneath to seal the pan to the bottom of the radiator as the shroud is slightly offset towards the bottom.

Some Al angle was sacrificed to provide the mounting brackets on either side. All in all I'm pleased with how it fitted up. Basically just a little trimming here and there and a couple of simple brackets - make this $25 fan shroud a winner!

Jeff
56SemaRag

Post by 56SemaRag »

GS guy wrote: Image

Jeff
That fab work looks great Jeff.
56' Semaphore Ragtop Subaru (Build)
Subaru Engine & Transmission
Mendeola Suspension

69' Karmann Convertible (Build)
Suby AWD Driveline

05 Suby Baja Turbo - Stage 2+
07 Legacy Spec B - Stage 2
15 Suby Forester XT
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Can you provide more info on the fan, is it a 10" or 11" fan and what brand and CFMs? I found a jelly roll pan on amazon for around 20, it's a NorPro brand but has a rolled edge on it so I'm still looking for another option on that. I just decided to not use the fan and shroud I had previously made. Looking back at your thread made me realize it would just be better to copy your setup.
thanks
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Diggin the Jelly Roll pan, going to have to use that.

12X18 for $26

Looks like they come in just about any conceivable size. :lol:
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

That's the one Piledriver. :D I even ordered it from Amazon to get my wife's free shipping option (she loves Amazon!).

I chose this one over others because it uses a square corner design. The formed/rounded corners of most others (like the Fatdaddio) would look better IMO, but reduce the footprint on the bottom (or fan side), creating difficulties getting the biggest fan on there. I wanted the largest fan size I could reasonably fit.

Surfbeetle, I went with a 12" fan, Spal 30102029 puller with 1360cfm rating according to The Fan Man brochure (the SPAL literature shows it at 1328cfm). I wanted the highest flow fan I could get on there and this fan just barely fits. Spal does make a higher flowing straight blade 12" model (2038) but this fan was too deep to work with my set-up - plus the straight blade design is likely a lot noisier when running. Their 11" max performance straight blade model flows 1390cfm (Fan man rating), but again is deeper and probably noisier than the curved blade models like the 2029.

More than happy to share any deatils about the setup, just let me know what you need!
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Thank you for sharing the fan info. I'm going to buy the jelly roll next week and then price out the fan and proceed from there. As I stated on my thread, what I originally had set up was just too deep. So I will probably just go with the same fan you have. I like how it doesn't look too deep. Thank you again.
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Surf,
I'm sure you have this but might be helpful to others? The SPAL website has detailed specification on their fans, with dimensions, cfm, etc.
http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx

Very useful for realistic sizing or building a mock up. I did this earlier with some cored cardboard (1" and 2" thick) to create a full scale model of the fan and radiator. Very helpful for sizing it up and checking overall fit before dropping the big $$$ on real parts.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

Definitely some good info. I found your fan over the fan man. I will most likely get that one next month and tell my my wife to call it an early Christmas gift.
RonW

Post by RonW »

off topic:

good as place as any to post this. meyer manx interview with more subie than ac power almost ;)
912R + STi 2.0 Turbo JDM v8
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Had a little time to fiddle with the cooling system since the holidays. I realized with the radiator fitted to the chassis I needed to re-think my plans for the upper radiator mounts. Decided these need to come off the same bosses that the shroud mounts to, so needed to re-do the shroud mounts. Also located more holes for the new inlet-outlets. More holes to fill! :shock:

And fittings/plugs to fill them:

Last, my fantastic wife got me a cockpit heater for my birthday!

Now to just make it all work together!

Jeff
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

A few less holes in the radiator now. :)

Mocked up in the Buggy.

Another fantastic welding job by Bills Metals - man he does nice work and extreeeeemely reasonable! After my radiator he was preparing to do some exhaust work on a '65 Comet with a 'cammer motor!

Looks like I'll need to space the radiator up about 1/4" in the chassis, so more aluminum spacers to make. Too crowded with all the suspension stuff up front!

Jeff