GSXR ITB's

andy198712

GSXR ITB's

Post by andy198712 »

found this, a good guide to splitting the throttle bodies to what ever spacing you wish ;)

http://www.passionford.pl/?p=1006

excuse the ford thing!!
Last edited by andy198712 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy198712

Re: GSXR TBI's

Post by andy198712 »

seems like the K1 and K2 are ones that are easily split-able, in 600/750/1000 flavour... hmmmm
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Yup and they go for cheap on ebay. I just don't like how they don't have a idle bypass circuit built into them, makes syncing them a bit more challenging.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Hmmm..... Maybe after some study I might see a way to possibly use the set I have after all.... Thanks...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

supaninja wrote:Yup and they go for cheap on ebay. I just don't like how they don't have a idle bypass circuit built into them, makes syncing them a bit more challenging.
i see, so i guess you use the vac take offs and a vacum gauge yeah? standard procedure on bikes but it is a bit of a pain in the arse.

are they likely to loose sync often or not?
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Dale M. wrote:Hmmm..... Maybe after some study I might see a way to possibly use the set I have after all.... Thanks...

Dale

Cool i'd hoped this would help some one.

what year are yours?
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

andy198712 wrote:
Dale M. wrote:Hmmm..... Maybe after some study I might see a way to possibly use the set I have after all.... Thanks...

Dale

Cool i'd hoped this would help some one.

what year are yours?
2002-3 off gxsr 1000....

Got them earlier this year and got discouraged with all the micky motion involved to get throttle linkage connected.... People kept saying go with cable, and the is exactly what I do not want to do.... Have not had time to study info link.... Maybe this evening....

Dale
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Interesting and pretty straight forward for just changing the distances between inlet bores, great for inline four but does not do a lot for linkage problems for split units applied to a boxter style engine applications...

Dale
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

What type of linkage are you thinking?

Does anyone here who runs ITB's have to re sync a lot??
That's my main consern you don't get with a single tb.

I haven't really worked out the linkage thing yet..... Just popped this link up incase it would help some people out :)

I think I might go this route though
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

I hardly ever sync mine, but it's just one of those things that is nice to just be able to easily do.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

andy198712 wrote:What type of linkage are you thinking?

Does anyone here who runs ITB's have to re sync a lot??
That's my main consern you don't get with a single tb.

I haven't really worked out the linkage thing yet..... Just popped this link up incase it would help some people out :)

I think I might go this route though
I was thinking something like hex bar of BUT most likely something similar to CPS center pull (bell crank) will probably be final design....

Dale
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I'm curious what you have against cable linkages...

A new CB Hexbar was the motivation for me to make my first cable pull.

What I threw together in a couple of hours using a sawzall, drill, file, some angle iron, a cat, and duct tape...
... worked so much better than a hexbar it was unreal.

They are VERY easy to sync, and tend to stay that way MUCH better than a typical linkage.

They are used on motorcycles for a reason, you should be able to get a 4 way splitter for $5-$10 used.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Its getting the "wheels" on the shafts..... It's the mickymotion of attachment.....

I getting to old to "F$%&" with "S&*(", when I live 75 miles from any source of decent materials or have to rely on 3 days for UPS to get something to me..... Also I don't have the skill and machines available to me to make the things myself and when I went to local machinist, he wanted $100 to do the work and needed full diagrams of what I wanted to build.....

What you don't know IS I live 75 miles past the edge of civilization and I have nothing but a electric drill and assort (mostly broken) tools..... Well its a exaggeration, but you get idea of my frustration....

This is why I sort of abandon the GSXR TB's and dropped back to thinking about WEBER IDF "form factor" TBI.... I have over $175 in GSXR TBs and if I screw them up, its throwing good money away...

Also to get boots and make adapter plates there is additional expenses.... In the end I doubt I will save anything and will abandon the cobbled up mess for application specific ITB's...

Dale
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Wheels Are Absolutely NOT Required For Cable Pull.
(most natural/mechanically ideal way to do it, yes)

Pulley wheels---very cool, yes.

Slowtwitch makes a very serious, essentially bombproof setup, with top quality parts throughout, complete from the pedal back.

He very thoughtfully sent me an early prototype and a later pre-production kits I WILL be using eventually, as they are absolutely beautifully thought out bits of artwork.
(I am just not using the IDFs ATM, but they are starting to look remarkably like 44mm dual TBs in the amusement park of my mind)

Pulleys required for proper operation? absolutely not.
I used bicycle brake cables from Wal-Mart, some scrap bits of angle iron, and a $5 scrapyard Kawasaki /4 splitter with awesome results and it lasted many years, 80 mile commute DD in heavy traffic.
I still keep the linkage together with the IDFs and would return them to service without hesitation.

I used a drill, 2 drill bits, a sawzall, and a file, possibly used a hammer at some point..
My motivation was being pissed off at the new Hexbar that seemed to insist on squirting the accel pumps constantly.
(the hexbars mass and engine vibration was the issue, it's an inherent flaw in the design)

I only made wheels for mine as I lost the original bits while swapping the motor in/out of a few cars (the 914 went CIS, so I don't use the IDFs anymore except for cam break in) I have a lathe at work I have to use from time to time... Making pulleys on a lathe is just about the easiest thing you can do on a lathe, you just have to free the naturally occurring pulleys from the rod stock, it's easy :twisted:

I ran tweaked original Weber arms for ~40K miles, zero problems with the linkage, adjusted it on install and readjusted it once after buying a Snail, literally took 10 seconds-- OK, 30 seconds, as I had to walk around the car(914) (HIGHLY recommended, do not bother with manometers)

I suspect Devastator may have something for you for a reasonable price if you like the wheels tho...
I would PM him, worth a shot. (I don't know what he charges, but he seems good people and he made Supas, at least one of them)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

i'm more and more drawn to these.... with a split cable jobbie, where are you putting the split?