VW mid engine Trike frame?

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
EastCoastOffRoad

VW mid engine Trike frame?

Post by EastCoastOffRoad »

I have started to get old vw parts in hope to build a VW mid engine Trike frame. Looking to build something like on the badass trike web site.
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I need a vin number to be able to drive it on the road. I was thinking of using a bike frame and moding it to work, but I would also need to get it inspected to be able to drive it on the road.

Anyone have any ideas?
ONEBADBUG

Re: VW mid engine Trike frame?

Post by ONEBADBUG »

I drove a thing like that once, my opinion is: you will die. One of our customers did, in fact,cut himself in 2 after we reluctantly built him a bigger engine. Get a glass buggy, tons of fun.
david58

Post by david58 »

ONEBADBUG wrote:I drove a thing like that once, my opinion is: you will die. One of our customers did, in fact,cut himself in 2 after we reluctantly built him a bigger engine. Get a glass buggy, tons of fun.
While I can agree with you I can also dis-agree with you, because my main transportation is a bike. You have to have eyes in the back of your head. But in real life situations there is always risks that we take for granted, it doesn't matter if you are a football player, or a teacher, or a police man there is always the danger of you making a mistake or someone else making a mistake and someone ending up 6 feet under. It doesn't matter what you drive, there is always risks that we take for granted. This trike is awesome I would like to have one like it myself, I have never seen one like it. That being said know your limits, but more importantly know your machine limits. I would really want wheelie bars on a trike like this.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
ONEBADBUG

Post by ONEBADBUG »

I have a Moto Guzzi street bike, I am not against motorcycles, what I am saying is the trikes I have seen don't turn worth a crap, thus, a bad idea.
david58

Post by david58 »

Yes that is so true they respond more like a 3 wheel ATV than a bike. But the bike he has posted has independent rear suspension with coil overs and I believe if there is enough roll in the set up it will want to stay on 3 wheels. Springs will need to be on the weak side so it has a good bit of roll built into it.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The only type "trike" I have ever seen that could deal with any remotely significant emergency maneuver is the 2 wheels front/one out back arrangement like the Bombadier/CAN-AM rig, and the snowmobile seating is still probably higher than I'd like. The 2 front tires/discs also allow full braking capability.

(Note that VW has played with this format as well on several experimental vehicles to great effect)

There are some tiny "trike" kits with the same layout and low seating, look/goes more like an Ariel atom than a motorcycle, but can be registered as a motorcycle due to having 3 wheels.

There's a few out there that are basically Locosts/Lotus 7s up front and a single fat tire out back, failing to find the link from work.

http://www.campagnamotors.com/products/ ... xperience/
http://www.scorpionmotorsports.com/

Another take on it:
http://www.gizmag.com/morgan-three-wheeler/18032/
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I think you could do an IRS by using a minimum of 924/944 or 930 CVs, some custom cut (very short) half shafts to get any wheel travel. The shocks/springs would have to be moved outboard to get proper angles as compared to a swing axle setup.

Based just on looking at the picture you posted; what I think could be bad is your balance on the trike would/could be very dangerous in a short wheel base situation; probably close to 50/50 or less with the front possibly being lighter than one would want and the foot print of the tire could be too small which could mean that your bike might not want to turn well or flat spin in certain circumstances.

Spend some time thinking about this as it may be fairly easy to build but not a fun thing to drive. I sure would not like to ride it.

Lee
EastCoastOffRoad

The bike in th top pic uses 2 trannies.

Last edited by EastCoastOffRoad on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EastCoastOffRoad

Here is some more pics

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

As I said, a lot of weight up forward controlled by a skinny front tire. The rear width is narrow and to do this with IRS is going to cost you in half-shafts, trailing arms and CVs. I have had motorcycles myself and friends who had had trikes and they had to be careful when on them.

It sounds like you are going to do it so I think what I have given you is a good start. As above but with no torsion bars and move the upper shock mounts outboard to match the travel/angle of the trailing arms.

Lee
EastCoastOffRoad

I found an old swing arm vw buggy, I hope to pick it up next weekend.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Do you plan on posting a build. It would be fun to watch and maybe it will help someone else who has something like this in mind.

Lee
EastCoastOffRoad

I will. But I still need to find a frame yet. Anyone know what to do about the frame?
david58

Post by david58 »

Build it yourself. All you need is a steering head with the forks and tire and some tubing a bender and a notch-er.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Piledriver wrote:The only type "trike" I have ever seen that could deal with any remotely significant emergency maneuver is the 2 wheels front/one out back arrangement like the Bombadier/CAN-AM rig, and the snowmobile seating is still probably higher than I'd like. The 2 front tires/discs also allow full braking capability.

(Note that VW has played with this format as well on several experimental vehicles to great effect/
The vw gx 3 would be in my driveway if they had made it like they said. At the LA motor show, VW said that if enough interes was shown, they would. Then the lawyers stepped in and killed it for me. Grrrrr.
1+ G and 40+ mpg hell yeah.

Anyway.
Pile, the more appropriate 2F1R trike for us on this form would be the Blackjack zero.
I want one of them.
(I am on the tablet, so no link for you)