Finally got my rear-end in gear

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
aircooledtechguy

Finally got my rear-end in gear

Post by aircooledtechguy »

So I spent this morning with my cutting wheel, grinder and other implements of destruction getting the Porsche 912E (923) trans mocked-up on the IRS rear assembly. I went ahead and mocked everything up so that I could ensure it all fits and so far, it does.

Mods include:

- Porsche 912E trans using the stock mount w/ 914 CV output flanges.
- Porsche 914 rear brakes using modified T-3 hub flanges.
- Stock VW axles w/ Porsche 914 inner CVs.
- Trimmed and shaved upper bump-stops (to allow for wider tires).

Future mods include:

- Adjustable spring plates (in my possession)
- Urethane bushings (in my possession)
- 3/4" rear sway bar (still gotta get one)
- Koni rear shocks (in my possession)
- Much wider rear wheels and tires (7"wide wheels w/ 205 or 215 series tires

I'm still mulling over the possibility of slightly narrowing the rear-end track so I can stuff wider tires in the back w/o having to resort to custom wheels at www.stocktonwheel.com. Everything fits so nice as it is, I almost hate to make a change,. . .ALMOST :lol:
supaninja

Re: Finally got my rear-end in gear

Post by supaninja »

Looking good dude. How are you going to address the shift linkage issues?
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

supaninja wrote:Looking good dude. How are you going to address the shift linkage issues?

Four little words: I have a welder!! :lol:

Seriously though, I have modified a shifter for 5th and reverse. The type-3s have a nice little panel under the shift coupler that I think was made for this conversion so no cutting will be required on the body. I'm going to attach it like folks do in a bug when going to a bus trans. The front is a little unclear at this point. I could further modify the Porsche shifter to use the stock bug shift rod, but I would loose some adjust-ability that I gain with the Porsche shifter so I think I'm going to have to move the shift hanger back toward the rear use the Porsche shifter that I've modified. It should prove interesting, but not too bad.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The bottom access panel on a T3 does look made for the swap.

I keep thinking about using a 914 trans (diff flipped) in mine, but I have yet to take a ruler to the mounting ears to see if they would clear the inner IRS pivots, and if not, if a simple shave could make it happen. I'd have to use a cable shifter, but the "hard" bits are common enough in junkyards.

I so want a 5 speed again... The gear spacing on the stock T3 trans is just a tiny bit too wide for the engine to really sing like it wants.

For better or worse I have too many projects to probably get to it this year or next.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.