1303 subaru 4x4

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
ttriebler

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by ttriebler »

Getting my Torsen LSD center and gearset/stub axles fitted to the R160 differential housing this week so I will finally have the front diff sorted. Can then look at getting the custom driveshafts with subie cv joints all made up so the front end can (theoretically) drive.
Plasticfantastic

Post by Plasticfantastic »

Just a little bump back from the dead, how are these AWD projects coming?

Jeff-
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

No work done to mine. Too busy building Subamounts and stuff for all you STF guys!
Plasticfantastic

Post by Plasticfantastic »

ttriebler wrote:No work done to mine. Too busy building Subamounts and stuff for all you STF guys!
I would offer to swing by and keep your project going but the bus ride is insane! :D

Congrats on the success! Now prepare for some a-hole over here to chinese-copy your hard work and peddle it as his own... I'm begining to think it's the "new" American way. :evil:

Jeff-
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

How is this coming along?
joosep

Post by joosep »

How is it going?
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

I can share pix of how my 4x4 Manx is progressing, but not how this particular build is progressing.
If you guys are keen, I might do a little build thread of its own.
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

Let's see it, a new thread is great.
surfbeetle

Post by surfbeetle »

And of course, drop the link here to the new thread.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Killer project, makin it look easy :twisted:
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

I've machined some 33 spline, T1 drive axles before for a minirail. I might be able to make you some splined axles as well.
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
knopis

Post by knopis »

Hello. What kind of car do you use the front wheel hub (pitman front wheel) for AWD ? Thank you for your response. Sorry for my English. Tom
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

knopis wrote:Hello. What kind of car do you use the front wheel hub (pitman front wheel) for AWD ? Thank you for your response. Sorry for my English. Tom
Your English is better than that of several folks I work with.
MK1 rabbit/golf struts and spindles should work, although I have no idea what he used.
The "lowered" struts for 1303 are Mk1 struts. Add the Mk1 steering knuckle and they'd be ~stock height or a tad higher on a 1303.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Brilliant, Piledriver. I have MK1 Golf struts for my '74 Super. I imagine the front struts from the Golf Country or whatever that old MK2 all wheel drive Golf was called could be used to get a little suspension height. Using the MK1 steering knuckle would also lend itself to using a Golf steering rack. Lots of potential here. Wish the French dude would do an update.

I'm an onroad guy, but this idea could possibly convince me to build a curved window, AWD baja style bug.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You can apparently install the complete later suspension setup on an early super.
The rack is supposedly an ~easy swap as well, have not done that myself tho.

One of my many "want to do" projects is mod the (forged?) HD early lateral arms to simply take a MK1 Golf ball joint, to eliminate the need for the spindly (stamped sheetmetal) late arms, and possibly avoid oddball custom ball joints as a bonus.
(probably using 924 struts, which LOOK very similar to std 1303 struts)
I figure you might simply be able to bolt+weld an adapter plate on where the strut used to go...

...Will eventually do it, my son finally wants to get his T4 powered super back on the road this fall/winter.
(was taken apart for paint)

If anyone has one of the late stamped arms laying around, what's the distance from the inner pivot CL to the CL of the ball joint?
Have a plasma cutter now so carving out the "missing bit" out of steel or whatever is no longer an all day affair.