AC install ideas?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
supaninja

Re: AC install ideas?

Post by supaninja »

Roverjosh wrote:Sounds like the best choice then. Still 200 bucks for a compressor isn't bad. I don't want to tell you about the nightmare I just had with my wife's CRV. Lets just say I replaced EVERY single AC component in the car. Short story, the orig. compressor grenaded on her. It looks like a common problem on CRV's.

Parts alone were 850 bucks, plus recharges and a bunch of my time.....Grrrrrr.... all that time and money could have been spent on my Notch.........AAAHHHHHHHH "Hulk mad!" GGRRRRRRRRR AAAHHHHHHH

LOLOLOLOLOLOL, ya that friggin sucks. I hope thats not the same compressor thats on my 06 civic, I use the AC everyday (for the last 2-3 months it's been over 100 everyday and high humidity :shock: )
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The variable displacement jobs were OEM on VAG and SAAB products (and likely most others) from ~2004 AFAICT>

The ones in '05 Jettas and Saabs had the internal variable displacement ...
OTOH they show a REALLY small displacement in the specs, perhaps that's the minimum.
Some are also IIRC clutchless--- they just go to ~zero stroke when off.

I'm hunting one of those, even if I have to make a serp belt pulley for the crank and add an idler.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Pile, how (compararively) big is that unit?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

helowrench wrote:Pile, how (compararively) big is that unit?
I don't have one in hand, but from the pictures it's about the same size as the previous gen units.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I have an 06 jetta parts car. I can take pics of that compressor if it helps.

I want to upgrade my vanagon AC to something that works better and doesn't pull down the engine as hard.

Steve
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Steve Arndt wrote:I have an 06 jetta parts car. I can take pics of that compressor if it helps.

I want to upgrade my vanagon AC to something that works better and doesn't pull down the engine as hard.

Steve
Thank you, part#s too if possible so we can confirm what "the internet" says as to which is on what.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

It is either an 05 or 06, will check it out and post what I find. Those cars get totaled out from a 2 mph front end impact. It blows both front, and both side air bags. Very easy to remove parts from the inline 4 2.0s. The engine bay could hold two of 'em.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Sanden PX(x) series (variable displacement) is what I am looking for.
Compressors other than Sanden may also be installed, even AC/Delco units exist for the app apparently.

I love all the ads for "Sanden type" chinese compressors for $200... I think I'd take my chances on a JY OEM part.
(or just buy a core, rebuilt Sandens (real) don't cost much more than the mystery compressors.
(Heck, you can get oddball new ones for about that, you probably want to make sure they are side inlet/outlet for clearance on a T3.)

I REALLY want a PXV16 (internal control) if I can find one cheap.
Those come on Saabs for sure...Hmmm..... These are used by GM on a LOT of cars, incl. 2011 models.

I'm pretty sure this is (one of the) beasts, this is the Delphi version,

The 3 point mount (2 through bolts on side/one bolt in the back) seems to be pretty std for these.

I may have AC before I have a TIG welder...
(I may be buying something else entirely...)
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Pile,
One of the mechs at work today was telling me that the ac compressor on his 1994 geo was a tiny little thing 6" long and 4-5" dia......................
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

helowrench wrote:Pile,
One of the mechs at work today was telling me that the ac compressor on his 1994 geo was a tiny little thing 6" long and 4-5" dia......................

OTOH that's worth looking into ;-)

OT, picked up a nice Firepower (Thermodyne) spool gun to fix my MIG wire feed issues and have been looking for the best/most efficient way to get 200A DC (pref high freq pulse) and variable duty cycle pulsed control for best control on sheetmetal, preferably both MIG and TIG capable.

AC would be nice for TIG'n aluminum but +DC MIG (esp pulsed) works great too given enough juice (spray mode).
If it's small stuff I have a SynchroWave 300 available w/cooler at work that has <20 hours on it.

The 18HP Briggs and a couple Ford alternators are staring to look really, really good, as I HAVE the low mile 18HP B&S twin and a spare 15HP Kohler handy, and it's not inverter tech (so reliable/cheap to fix), but has a nice ~15KHz "pulsed DC" effect naturally from the alternators.

I think every guy (and gal who wants one) should have the opportunity to have a self propelled portable welder. :twisted:
I'd probably spend more on tires if I go there.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

AHA!!!

To remove all doubt, I ran a Google search and came up with a "local" place with excellent information on their compressors...
Including listing generation and if they are internal or external pressure controlled variable displacement.
(Note---"Local" to a Texan is anything under a 4 hour drive. Used to be "under a 6 pack" but that's now non-pc.)

Check out this cute little thing:

Application: 2004-2007 Aveo/Wave

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/ShowItem ... essor.aspx

This place MAY be selling Chinese (looks like both), but their information is excellent.

I think the "common" 6-rib pulley needed to run this is for a SBC with a short neck water pump,(modded of course)
... or possibly a PS pump pulley could be modded.
These compressors will run 9000 RPM, so running at least 1:1 would probably be a good idea.
V-belt clutches are also likely available, as the early cars running these style compressors had them (Saab etc)

OTOH for all I know there are could be only a few std AC clutch models to fit everything.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

OK, bought a supposedly very low mile Delphi unit off a 07 HHR from Cali, with clutch pigtail no less.

It's same as the Cobalt one (pictured a few posts up, Delphi, under license)
... just a little longer than the one pictured (immediately) above (for the Aveo).

(you cannot link to pics already posted here apparently)
$57 shipped.

Now, find a pulley/tensioner/belt/manifold and everything else...

Still trying to decide if the condenser is going over the trans or up front.

Also ordered one of these from action-ac.com in Irving (where the Cowboys USED to play football)
http://www.action-ac.com/AC-Part/27-50027.html
$102, I don't mind adding extra internal flaps//hoses to an item at that price...
(for defrost and possibly end-of-dash outlets).

Good prices even having to pay tax, I'll probably be paying them a visit to look at the balance of the stuff I need.
(receiver/dryer, condenser, hoses and fittings)

I might be able to use the old York AC mount if I set it as shown in the pic...

AC>Tig welder. It was 105 yeaterday, depending on the thermometer you used.
Last edited by Piledriver on Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soul

Post by Soul »

Looks like you're going to have a sweet set-up. I like the unit you linked to;I may have to re-visit installing A/C! My flight from Orlando to Chicago is delayed so I have several hours to kill so I can do more research.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Thanks, I hope so. I'll have a few days off in a row next week so maybe I'll get it in to some extent.

It's probably the same unit shown installed in a T3 under a cargo shelf in page 1 of this thread...
(cannot link it in to save my life, it's about post 12ish)

I dig the cargo shelf, but I'm pulling /adding a drain to fresh air intake and probably shoving it as far forward as possible and run ducts to the dash so it looks "factory", even tho the factory never did it that way.
(looks like room for small dash end vents if I relocate the fuse box a tad, and WHY doesn't someone make fiberglass T3 gloveboxes? )

My BN4 heater dumps right about at the where the fans will be too so it will blow the heat around instead of just having roasty toes.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Sweet Pile, I'm wondering about the clutch's too, i am speculating there are only a few different ones too. I would love to do a serpentine belt mod but then i'll be making everthing that much more complicated.

Back in the day the dealerships mounted the condenser under the tranny, wouldn't last very long on my car http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=724495 there is a bunch of room above the tranny. I will use a SPAL fan, they are the hot rods in the fan world, and trinary switch on the dryer. I was looking at my interior, I'm pretty sure I can fit a -6 and -10 hardline through my pass heater channel. Should make for a really clean install.

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-co ... ns-374.php
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387