AC install ideas?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Piledriver

Re: AC install ideas?

Post by Piledriver »

You can use the FH mount bit as a starting point, anyway.
You might be able to cut and reweld etc.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

I think I'm just going to stick with the bay bus stuff and get the bracket from bus depot.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
Roverjosh

Post by Roverjosh »

I have been thinking about this since 2008 when I got my car! I haven't done too much research, but Gilmore Enterprises is NEVER going to complete that T3 kit.

As for the compressor, I was wondering if anybody has looked into doing an electrical version instead of a belt driven pump. I was wondering if the compressor from a small RV unit could be re-purposed with the use of a higher output alternator or something to cover the increased AMP requirement.

Again, I haven't done the research about that, but you could put the compressor somewhere other then the engine compartment: like the "Frunk" with the condensor and stuff.

Thoughts?
Josh
-----
We come from dirt,
We return to dirt,
Circle of life, man.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

I looked up prius electric condensors and holy crap they require a ish ton of current for a 12v system. A sanden sd 508 or 709 is the ticket, I just need to figure out which configuration will fit the best, bus with it mounted horizontally to the crank, of vanagon with it mounted higher then the crank. I really want to do the vanagon shroud/alternator conversion.
Roverjosh

Post by Roverjosh »

I wondered if that would be a problem. I was worried an electric would simply need to much current.

Ok, my install be on a stock T3 setup cuz I haven't drank my T4 koolaid yet.... :D :twisted:

I am going to have to research those sanden compressors you noted, ninja. I am assuming they are most efficient for the size/weight? I wouldn't want one that bleeds too much horse power to run. I know that "Gilmore-Enterprises" plugs the Sanden compressor as a more efficient choice.
Josh
-----
We come from dirt,
We return to dirt,
Circle of life, man.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Seeing as how you've already upgraded the alternator, have you looked to see if an Espar electric air-condition is viable?
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Josh- Just drink the Koolaid ;) lol, depends where you get your info from. some say it takes 1hp others say 4hp, either way I got plenty to spare for a/c. the SD 709 is an upgrade to the 508, it has 7 pistons as opposed to 5 and is more efficent, plus it has the same external dimensions.

Chris -I just checked out espar's electric roof mounted deal, their smallest unit uses 2000w which equals 166A, it will be easier to make a belt driven compressor fit.
Roverjosh

Post by Roverjosh »

I found this little nugget while digging around.

http://www.evdrive.com/BMW_project/AirConditioning.html

Looks like the Ecomodders have played with this a bunch, but it is not cheap. 1000 bucks for compressor/motor and controller. It is DC. I think I will stick with fabbing up nice bracket and running if off the crank like stock. I will just build a super effecient motor to save some of the naturally lost HP to run AC and get an effecient Sanden Compressor. So many other things to do the Notch before that, it won't be happening soon at my house. Rust repairs and all.

keep the ideas flowing though. They are all getting bookmarked.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

$1000 for a compressor is a big pill to swallow. I'm with you a sanden will definitely get the job done. I'm gathering the difficult parts right now, but rust repair is the priority for me too, then IRS swap (to include 091, 944 brakes and p-car wheels...$$$), then it's AC time.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

FWIW the latest Sanden compressors are variable displacement, based on the refrigerant pressure.
(internal, no computer controls required)
They are essentially only going to draw as much power as needed to satisfy demand.

How much they really cost remains to be seen...
(late model junkyard hunt anyone?)
I have doubts a 7 cylinder compressor is needed for a vehicle the size of a T3.
Perhaps on a Bus.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Roverjosh

Post by Roverjosh »

I think for the simplicity of controls, the belt driven is the way to go for us Dino fed vehicles. I will leave the electric driven to the battery guys.

The 7 piston will just increase the efficiency of the compressor, right? It is all gain. and the 709's were only like $130 on Ebay.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

you got to be careful on ebay, lots of knock off sanden's (sanden is a chinese company but they are OEM for most new cars).
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

i just read vintage air's write up on compressor selection, pile is right, the 508 is a better match. vintage air wants $199 for the 508 with a double -groove clutch pulley.
Roverjosh

Post by Roverjosh »

Sounds like the best choice then. Still 200 bucks for a compressor isn't bad. I don't want to tell you about the nightmare I just had with my wife's CRV. Lets just say I replaced EVERY single AC component in the car. Short story, the orig. compressor grenaded on her. It looks like a common problem on CRV's.

Parts alone were 850 bucks, plus recharges and a bunch of my time.....Grrrrrr.... all that time and money could have been spent on my Notch.........AAAHHHHHHHH "Hulk mad!" GGRRRRRRRRR AAAHHHHHHH
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

supaninja wrote:...Chris -I just checked out espar's electric roof mounted deal, their smallest unit uses 2000w which equals 166A, it will be easier to make a belt driven compressor fit.
Assuming 12V...at 14V it's 143.

I was thinking I'd seen a unit from them that wasn't rooftop too.