AC install ideas?

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Piledriver

AC install ideas?

Post by Piledriver »

OK, it's been 100+ here (and a lot of other places) so I've been looking at an AC kit.

Really doesn't look like rocket science, but I do have some questions for anyone that HAS AC in their T3.

What's the best setup for the condenser install?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
david58

Re: AC install ideas?

Post by david58 »

You might give this guy a buzz.
http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

A year ago I sent gilmore a email inquiring about a t3 AC, they said they didn't have a setup yet.

Pile- I have been thinking about it too, it's going to have to be a interesting setup since we have bellows on our t4 motors, and the space constraints of our engine bays.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

supaninja wrote:A year ago I sent gilmore a email inquiring about a t3 AC, they said they didn't have a setup yet.

Pile- I have been thinking about it too, it's going to have to be a interesting setup since we have bellows on our t4 motors, and the space constraints of our engine bays.

No, actually it should be EASIER with a T4 motor, esp w/o any rear bar, but even the Bus hanger bar is designed to provide clearance for AC
You need to use a reverse rotation compressor and make a bracket, and MAYBE do a little clearance on the rear air duct
(The original York boat anchors didn't care which way they spun, the (EDIT out bad info------SCROLLs only run one way, most Sandens are piston based and will run either way)

The stock T4 compressor location hanging off the drivers side of the fan housing is otherwise "clear" with the T4>T3 swap, esp given a Sanden compressor.
Use the stock AC pulley in front of the fan to drive it.(front is front)

One place ( link below) had neat little all-in-one under dash packages that looked like it would drop in in place of the late factory fresh air box, does AC and defrost/heat (given a heater core)
It has connection for hoses to in dash or under dash vents as well as defrost, so you could likely hook it to the factory defrost hoses and even use the factory knobs to control airflow, and differrent AC freon line orientations are available.
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/h ... 31981.html

If I can plumb hot air into it from my front mounted BN4 it would be perfect.

MY main question is how the original front mounted condensers are set up/what size, and if it could be improved on.

I DO have the original under dash setup for a 914, it would probably fit the T3, will check today.
Last edited by Piledriver on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Nice link, I gotta start saving my ducketts.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Unfortunately the DPD 914 under dash I have won't work easily in a T3, there's no clearance for the steering column, so it would have to be spaced down ~1.5" from the bottom lip of the t3 dash. (The 914 has an under dash kneepad that it hangs flush on.. Hmmm... )

No loss, I was planning on AC in the Pile anyway, at least it's 100% there and zero cracks, all the vents etc etc.
(I pulled it off since the rubber AC lines were all dorked after sitting in storage 20 years)

Looks pretty good with the spiders chased out.

I'm picking up my "new to me" DC/pulsed TIG setup tomorrow, so I should be able to really get to work on the sheetmetal.
Still need to get a Ready Welder to use as a spool gun for MIG/pulsed MIG jobs, but they can be had ~cheap..
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Pile, if'n you need to eyeball it, I am digging out the dpd unit to go back into.the ghia. Pics, or.you can swing by to see how close it fits.
helowrench

Post by helowrench »

Ignore my poor grammar, as I am kicked back on tom sawyers island in the house of mouse right now
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

helowrench wrote:Ignore my poor grammar, as I am kicked back on tom sawyers island in the house of mouse right now
Cool, say "Hi" to Mickey for me!

Arg... my "new" welder just sold , was meeting the guy tomorrow, somebody showed up with cash today..

Maybe I'll have the $$ for AC instead.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

It looks like the common later T1 under dash setups would fit//work OK, a gap at each end is not an issue, IMHO, and the fuse box location is ~workable.

The "drop down" in the center for a bug dash leaves a "gap" in the center on a T3...
...that MIGHT be enough for a radio... or certainly a Mk4 Jetta cupholder setup if all else failed.
They seem to be common/cheap enough, they have 3 on TOS right now ranging from $45-$125-....$650 ? :shock:
(the latter is NOS, but the guy is still IMHO a serious optimist)

Not sure I want to drop $$ on one just to find out, does anyone happen to know?
(I'd "do" one fo $45 but that one is in Canada, so shipping would be costly and take ~forever)

Hmmm.. Piston and plug in Mesquite... Parts is parts, I bet they have one somewhere in their junk hoard.
Soul

Post by Soul »

I don't know if the T-1 unit will work but that's what I intended to use when I was hot for the T-4 swap into my notch. My car is at -my friends house so I can't check right now.

I scored an A/C pulley for my T-4 and I was going to mount the condenser over the trans.
rsz_p2010039.jpg
rsz_p2010040.jpg
I scored the A/C unit for free and I planned on cutting off both ends to make a shorty unit since the front is basically the duct. I found a car audio website that showed how to fab up a dash and make it look stock. I figured that would work out perfect for this project. I would replace the louvers to with something that would work well and look period correct.
rsz_p2010041.jpg
rsz_dpdac.jpg

I figured I my setup would look similar to this
DSC00140 (1).JPG
DSC00138.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I finally got off TOS and looked on Ebay, :lol: and right there was the tiny "universal under dash AC" unit in the above pics...

That one looks "period correct" too, and I can probably keep the factory fresh air setup, and use the AC blower to distribute the heat from the BN4 as that will sit right where it wants to dump hot air.

Those and several other flavors only cost $100~$150 NEW, and they would work perfect on a T3.

So unless I can score a 30 year old unit for ~free, I'll just go there.

Apparently modern Sanden compressors are all piston/reed valve, and don't care as to rotation, just mounting angle (can be installed any way as long as the oil fill plug is UP) so now I just need to find a short compressor... Hoses, i know i'll have to make a mount for the Vanagon fan housing unless Supa gives me his ;-)
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

That mount is crazy, it puts the compressor right next to the top of the shroud. I'm probably going to have to do some clearancing in the engine compartment (which is fine, since I'll be doing all the welding needed on the car this fall/winter).

I really want to do the vanagon fan shroud, I got everything to do it and the AC stuff now too.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Yeah, the Vanagon alt is about the same on the other side, on a T3 it needs to be as low as the belt allows and tucked in tight.
(alt tucks in in std T4 location with new bracket/tensioner, altho I switched to a GM late model 100A)
Vanagon engine compartment is about 2 feet wider...

I'm going to look for a serpentine pulley I can mod to fit on the crank, may hang a DS pump along with the AC.
Last edited by Piledriver on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

i figured their engine bays were huge by how ginormous the engine tin is