Safari Turbo/Megasquirt Fuel Injection Project

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Clonebug

Re: Safari Turbo Project

Post by Clonebug »

Hey All,

Look what my brother dropped off at my house for me to use for a couple weeks!!!

Hopefully I can get stuff tacked together to check for fit and make sure there is room for everything. It sure get busy back there in a hurry!!

Clonebug
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Git r done :P
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

We are planning on being up in that area in the last part of May; will it be done and running for another ride by then?

Just got back from the southern Oregon coast but did not bring the beam back as it was too dirty and we had too much stuff.

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Hey Lee,

I sure hope it is going by then....Sometimes I think I have a touch OF A.D.D. and lose my focus on things.

Getting a welder has gotten me back on track so I hope to get the plumbing done in the next week or so.

I have the turbo to carb plumbing tacked together as of tonight.

There sure isn't as much room as I though I would have. I am having trouble getting all the fittings on the pressure side of the turbo that I need. I am sure I will forget stuff and kick myself later.

Here is my crazy pressure section from the turbo to the top of carb. There just isn't any extra room between the body and the carb and I didn't want to butcher the body.

I have it clamped in my tube notch holder and am drilling the blow off valve hole at the moment. I will weld a one inch piece of tubing to that hole for the blow off valve to mount to.

Everything is going to be tight!!

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Update,

Got a little more done in the last day or so.

The compressor to carb intake is tacked and fitted. What a contorted mess the intake is just to keep from cutting the
body. :roll:

I have the Saab 9-3 blow off valve fitted to the intake and just got back from the exhaust shop and had my hot side flange pipe expanded from 1 7/8 inch to 2 inch so I can butt weld the up pipe from the cheap ass header to the turbo exhaust inlet.

Next is to mock up the hot side from the header to the turbo.

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Have a little more progress to report.

It sure is nice to have a welder to tack the tubing together !!!

It makes everything soooo much easier to lay out and piece together!!

Here is the hot side progress. I know it is not an ideal setup but for testing purposes I hope it will give me a taste of what a turbo will do for a buggy in a performance aspect.

This is the setup coming out of the cheapo header. I had to get around the bumper and give a little heat clearance and also make the up pipe fairly easy to get off. I should be able to unbolt the two flanges and just pull the whole section out.

Here is the pipe going into the turbo.

I should have the hot side finished hopefully by tomorrow night and then can move on the the oiling system.

Clonebug
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Some more progress today,

The turbo is now officially hanging on it's own without any support !!!

I have the up pipe finished. I had to grind the welds smooth since I am such a crappy welder.....

I am happy to say it came out quite nice if I do say do myself!!

Next on the list is to get the compressor side finished up. I will be pulling that off and capping the tubing and welding it to a finished product.

I have the fuel line to finish and the distributor to modify also. Hopefully this thing will be ready to test in a week or two..

Clonebug.
Hotrodvw

Post by Hotrodvw »

SWEET!!!
Eric
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Hey All,

The project is getting closer to the finish!!

Well, it is never finished...:) I have had this Buggy since 2000 and have worked on it every year since... :oops:

I am in the final assembly stage. Up pipe is done, compressor side is done, blow off is hooked up, carb is modified, fuel pump is boost referenced and it is all bolted together and looking good!!

All I have to do is finish bolting up the exhaust on the header to the front cylinders, weld a fitting on the valve cover for the turbo drain, hook up the thermostat for the cooling flaps and figure out an exhaust outlet for the turbo.
I have run out of room for everything it seems. All the sizes are just not quite what works good so you have to compromise on all the sizes....either that or everything on the turbo is metric and you have to figure out the sizes to make it work with the American size:? . :cry:

Oh well, It is the challenge that gets us here right???

Hope to fire up by the weekend or a little later.

Clonebug
yvre

Post by yvre »

Fingers crossed!
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

I am proud to announce that the weekend came early for me.

I ended up having the whole day off so after taking the wife to breakfast I got to go gungho on the Buggy.
I got the turbo drain in the valve cover welded and the exhaust finished up and all the other little things finished.

After getting the oil drain hose cut and hooked up to the valve cover I went to town and got me a couple gallons of 92 octane gas.
My Son came over and we messed around trying to get the engine to fire. After a bit of swearing and pressurizing the fuel system thru the tank vent We finally got fuel to the carb.

It was a great feeling to hear that darn thing start up and just sit and idle along with out a care.!!!!! 8) :D

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r173 ... I_2686.mp4

Didn't get the video to embed right but if you click on the pic it will take you to my Photobucket and play it .
It isn't much of a vid but I can say it does run!!!

On to the tuning.

I actually took it out for a short drive before this video but it wasn't running real nice over 3000 rpms so we took it easy and cruised back at 30 mph.
I adjusted the carb a bit and it runs quite a bit better now but I will have to test it tomorrow or Saturday.

Clonebug
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Idles nice and smooth, sounds good when the RPMs come up and looks good, what more can you ask for. Not sure when we are coming up that way but I am looking forward to a ride. :D

Lee
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Drove the buggy about ten miles Saturday and it would run really nice at light or no load. As soon as I tried to rev it and load it up it would fall on it's face.
In second gear if I brought it up easy to 2500 rpm and then pushed it I could get 3 lbs. boost to show on my temporary vac/pressure gauge.
It would start to falter so I had to let up.

I went home and installed an idle jet up one size and all that did was make it run too rich at idle and low end. No change on the miss under load.

I had to call it a day then.

Pulled the carb yesterday and installed a 135 main jet and reset the accelerator pump shot to as big a shot as it can give.

Had a rain day today so I did a few more little things to the buggy.

I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge so now I have three gauges to watch over as I tune the engine.
Fuel pressure
Vacuum/boost hooked to blow off valve.
Boost off the turbo waste gate fitting.

Had more time than money so I dug up a scrap of 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe and built me a exhaust bend off the turbo.
I needed to make a tight 90 degree turn right off the turbo so I cut three 15 degree double angles off of the end of the exhaust pipe and welded them all together.
I forgot to take any pics of the cut pieces and only remembered after I had it all welded and ground to a finished piece.

Hung it up and shot a coat of BBQ paint on it.

Installed it and stood back and admired my handy work. It isn't as nice as a radius bend but it would have cost me $20.00 plus shipping to get one to me not including the wait.

Fired it up to see what it sounded like.

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r173 ... I_2695.mp4

There sure is a lot of moisture in the exhaust system when it rains all day!!

I am out the door to test it right now.. the clouds have moved away for the time being.

Clonebug
maxyray

Post by maxyray »

Look awesome. Great work :D

Maxyray
Thanks
Max
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Oh Boy!!!

I have come to a Fork in the project road!!!! :shock:

I have tasted just a tiny bit of boost and now I am hooked.!!!!

I am going in a bit of a different direction....... what the heck..... it is only money right??

Details to follow... :lol:

Clonebug