1303 subaru 4x4

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
F4P

1303 subaru 4x4

Post by F4P »

hello every body

my little project ;)

vw 1303 1973

engine Subaru ej20 twin turbo
gearbox Subaru wrx with all the transmission to make a 4 wheel drive :p

pic's

the car after 2 years off daily driver.

first gearbox fitting :

and now cutting the chassis

little 3d for the front coil over

here the steel part for the news hybride drive shaft i'ts a mix of rear wrx shaft and front STI hub...

future new parts 28mm diameter

pic's of the week end :

now i'm waiting for rear coilover and i need to finalize 3d for the front arms and coilover setup
home made the better way to win
www.flat4parts.com
roachghia70

Re: 1303 subaru 4x4

Post by roachghia70 »

Holy crap! This is an awesome project. Great work so far, man. I can't wait to see how this one pans out. It's cool to see you building the parts in CAD.

It's kinda funny, when I saw the thread title I thought that it was this car, which I've seen for sale in the Samba classifieds:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1017938

Glad to see it's not! :lol:
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

Copycat!!
I had to do it with a balljoint front end which was quite difficult, requiring machining of the Subaru front hubs to suit the VW front trailing arm suspension.
I placed the motor and transmission more forward to keep the motor underneath the Manx body - so I had to cut the torsion bar for the 4WD box and run coilover rear suspension.

Good luck with your project - I will be happy to see it finished!!

www.subarugears.com - for reversed subaru gearboxes
F4P

Post by F4P »

Good luck with your project - I will be happy to see it finished!!

www.subarugears.com - for reversed subaru gearboxes
yes i have to buy your kit ;)

it's not really a copy. :P i saw your thread after cutting my chassis but your thread confirm my choice so it's cool
www.flat4parts.com
capsoval

Post by capsoval »

How are you going to support the motor now that your frame horns have been shortened?
My Turbo Build>> http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 9&t=122882
480whp/300wtq>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-RvkpiTmr4
Special Thanks to 55superbeetle, Jeff @ 40Thirteen fabrication
perrib

Post by perrib »

Awesum work. Did you use the reverse rotation Ring and Pinion?
F4P

Post by F4P »

hello for the motor support i have to make support with the rolllcage

and yes i have to use the reverse kit for the gearbox ;)

pics of the weeks :

i have to cut here for the driveshaft

www.flat4parts.com
yodogg

Post by yodogg »

This looks fantastic! If you wanted to stay air-cooled (I can be stubborn that way), is there an adapter for a vw/porsche engine into a subaru gearbox? Will you be rallying this or will it be more for recreation?

Keep the pictures coming!
ttriebler

Post by ttriebler »

yodogg wrote:This looks fantastic! If you wanted to stay air-cooled (I can be stubborn that way), is there an adapter for a vw/porsche engine into a subaru gearbox? Will you be rallying this or will it be more for recreation?
Yes there is !!!

I am currently prototyping the conversion adaptor and matched flywheel. This will allow any Type 1, 4 or Wasserboxer to bolt to the Subaru transmission. I suppose that also includes all Porsche flat 4 & 6 engines too!

Here's the first mockup :

I expect it to be finished and ready for sale in a couple of weeks once I have finished the banana mount and final shape for the bottom of the adaptor to suit.
yodogg

Post by yodogg »

I do believe I'm feeling a bit giddy! You'll have to post when you've had a chance to test it.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

How do you get the axle length correct for front and rear, have them resplined or custom made?
F4P

Post by F4P »

Jadewombat wrote:How do you get the axle length correct for front and rear, have them resplined or custom made?
i just test the subaru axle and it works ;)
www.flat4parts.com
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

F4P wrote:
Really? The subaru trans and axle justs stops where it's supposed to and still fits flush in the trailing arm OK? Just seems like too much of a coincidence to me.

Likewise, how do you fit the front struts and get the camber right with where the axle ends at the spindle? There's so little tolerance to the angle of the strut top mount with respect to camber I've found. I mean are you working backwards fitting the front axles to the spindle then figuring where the trailing arm will need to be mounted on the car?

Great work, BTW.
petew

Post by petew »

looks really good. I reckon this might be the first of many such conversions. you will need to watch weight distribution though. I also be interested to see what you do with the centre diff. is there any way to make sure it puts most of the bias towards the engine end, coz in an impreza it does the opposite from what I understand.
F4P

Post by F4P »

Jadewombat wrote:
F4P wrote:
Really? The subaru trans and axle justs stops where it's supposed to and still fits flush in the trailing arm OK? Just seems like too much of a coincidence to me.

Likewise, how do you fit the front struts and get the camber right with where the axle ends at the spindle? There's so little tolerance to the angle of the strut top mount with respect to camber I've found. I mean are you working backwards fitting the front axles to the spindle then figuring where the trailing arm will need to be mounted on the car?

Great work, BTW.

hello for the front struts it's a custom coil over made with bilstein insert struts i use front STI hub with custom axle for the shaft
don't worry about the camber all front was simulated in cad appz and i have F4P camber plate for the top and custom a-arms
looks really good. I reckon this might be the first of many such conversions. you will need to watch weight distribution though. I also be interested to see what you do with the centre diff. is there any way to make sure it puts most of the bias towards the engine end, coz in an impreza it does the opposite from what I understand.
the front diff was flipped upside down

:)
;)
www.flat4parts.com