irs?

Here's the place to start. Introduce yourself and your ride.
jaywiz1977

irs?

Post by jaywiz1977 »

I have a 68 bug with the autostick,i want to switch it to a manual trans.Where the 68 AS irs or swing axle?And can someone school me on what the diffrence is and how one can tell.
david58

Re: irs?

Post by david58 »

If it has CV Axles it is IRS. Hope that helps.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
david58

Post by david58 »

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=117928
david58 wrote:Swing Axle Type 1

IRS Type 1
IRS Transmission Rear Suspension Exploded Diagram Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:32 pm Views: 947 Rating: Not rated
Please Rate It: Rating 1 - Low2345678910 - High

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1 Torsion Bar
#2 Inner Spring Plate Grommet
#3 Spring Plate
#4 Outer Spring Plate Grommet
#5 Spring Plate Caps
#6 Trailing Arm Pivot Bolt (M14x1.5mm threads)
#7 Trailing Arm Bolt Washer
#8 Trailing Arm Pivot Bushings
#9 Trailing Arm
#10 Control Arm Rubber Stop
#11 Inner Axle spacer
#11a Sway-A-Way Axle Spacer
#12 Seal Stub Axle Inner
#13 Control Arm inner snap ring
#14 Inner Control Arm Axle Bearing
#15 Axle Spacer between Bearings
#16 Plastic Emergency Brake cable holder
#17 Outer Control Arm Axle Roller Bearing
#18 Large "O" ring
#19 Small "O" ring
#20 Bearing Cap
#21 Outer Axle Spacer (Seal surface)
#21a Sway-A-Way Axle Spacer Kit
#22 Seal Outer Stub Axle
#23 Bearing Cap Bolts (M10x30)
#23a Spring Washer
#23b Flat Washer
#24 Rear IRS Brake Drum
#24a Lug Bolts
#25 Rear Axle Nut Flanged
#26 Cotter Key Large
#27 Upper Shock Bolt
#27a Nylock 12-1.5mm self locking nut
#28 Rear IRS Shock
#29 Lower Shock Bolt
#29a Nylock 12-1.5mm self locking nut
#30 Rear Axle
#31 CV Bolt
#31 CV Bolt Washer
#32 CV Bolt Plate
#33 CV Axle Boot with Flange
#34 Washer
#35 Constant Velocity Joint
#36 CV Axle circlip
#37 Stub Axle
#38 Grease Cup used in some CVs
#39 Large CV Boot Clamp
#40 CV Boot
#41 Small CV Boot Clamp
david58 wrote:
panel wrote:I found a pic.

david58 wrote:Thanks Lew for posting this.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
jaywiz1977

Post by jaywiz1977 »

Sweet both my bugs are irs!! the 68 and the 70(both are AS as well,but the 68 will be changing).
Lew

Post by Lew »

Note the inner Bearing #4 is a Ball Bearing, and #6 is a Roller Bearing. The Roller Bearing #6 always faces the Brake Drum.
I just want to make this clear. This is sometime overlooked and the Bearings are installed in the wrong location. :) I know I did this but noticed my mistake early on. :oops:
smyrnaguy

Post by smyrnaguy »

The fun part will be running a clutch cable tube through the tunnel. Unless you go hydraulic.
jaywiz1977

Post by jaywiz1977 »

It will be a body off restore,it needs pans bad and i was thinking while i had it tore apart to take the bottom off the tunnel and runn all new lines/cables/whatever and weld new steel back on once i i was done.So tunnel clutch tube no problem!may still go hydro anyway,it will be so far from stock when i get finished with it might as well have new tech in there for the clutch as well.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

jaywiz1977 wrote:..may still go hydro anyway,it will be so far from stock when i get finished with it might as well have new tech in there for the clutch as well.
Bad idea. A hydraulic clutch adds considerable complexity. With that you have more parts that can fail. Don't fix problems that don't exist.
aussiebug

Post by aussiebug »

Re the pic above of the complete IRS type stub axle with the comment "the concave side must face the CV joint".Pic supplied by Lew.

That description might be a little confusing.

Both ring spacers have one chamfered edge. The spacer with the inner edge chamfered must be at the gearbox end, and the spacer with the outer edge chamfered must be at the brake hub end, and both chamfers MUST face the gearbox. If you get that wrong the whole stack of ring spacer, bearing, tube spacer, bearing, ring spacer and brake hub will not be the correct length. There is no adjustment to this length - the whole stack is held in place by the axle nut. This orientation of ring spacers is not mentioned in any of the manuals I have read.
Regards
Rob
Rob and Dave's aircooled VW pages
Repairs and Maintenance for the home mechanic
www.vw-resource.com
jaywiz1977

Post by jaywiz1977 »

thank you all for the great info!I was trolling craigslist and came across a irs trans for pennies and thats the root for the question.Just wondered what i had b4 the buy.