Additional Cylinder studs
-
Moss64C
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:05 am
Additional Cylinder studs
I'm building a 2.7ltr engine and would like advice on adding more studs (5 or 6 ?) to the cylinders and heads. I've looked at some of the 5 stud configurations and can't see the advantage of the 5th stud just above the spark plug hole. I haven't sen any 6 stud configurations, do they use 6? Looks like the head fins would flex before adding and additional holding. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Mike 
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Additional Cylinder studs
Significant additional material is welded into the heads where the studs go (And on the jugs before they are bored)... It's not remotely a simple 'drill it/add more studs' operation.Moss64C wrote:I'm building a 2.7ltr engine and would like advice on adding more studs (5 or 6 ?) to the cylinders and heads. I've looked at some of the 5 stud configurations and can't see the advantage of the 5th stud just above the spark plug hole. I haven't sen any 6 stud configurations, do they use 6? Looks like the head fins would flex before adding and additional holding. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Mike
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
- baja stu
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:04 am
I have a 2.6 with six stud per cylinder. The 5th and 6th studs are 5/16" bolts. Brothers Machine shop or FAT Performance can provide this service.
http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18079
http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18076
http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18077
http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18078
http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18079
http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18076
http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18077
http://www.desertrides.com/forum/downlo ... p?id=18078
- baja stu
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:04 am
Re: Baja Stu
Ontario , Ca . 909-947-6001 they do awsome work!Moss64C wrote:Thanks for the photos. They explain a lot. Where is Brothers Machine Shop located? Thanks Mike
-
techsol
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:08 pm
What's the approx. cost on a 6th mod ?
I have just bought some parts from an old Mark Stephens failed project from years past.
103MM jugs and slugs
2.0 914 heads, stock , to be c'bored for 103's
relieved case
mod'd rods
DPR 78.4mm knife edged and balanced crank
Deep sump
Have to make a cam selection, playing with desktop dyno now
was thinking that a 5th or 6th stud set up would be the way to go as long as I'm not far along.
Any inputs and comments welcome!!!!!
Dick
I have just bought some parts from an old Mark Stephens failed project from years past.
103MM jugs and slugs
2.0 914 heads, stock , to be c'bored for 103's
relieved case
mod'd rods
DPR 78.4mm knife edged and balanced crank
Deep sump
Have to make a cam selection, playing with desktop dyno now
was thinking that a 5th or 6th stud set up would be the way to go as long as I'm not far along.
Any inputs and comments welcome!!!!!
Dick
- typ4
- Posts: 551
- Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:46 pm
Wow, there is a name that I havent heard in a while. Anyone know what happened to MArk Stephens??
The 5th stud is to prevent the head bow between the studs, even a 1/4dia stud will help. The sparkplug area on a bus head is way thin.
You have 914 2.0 heads and in my opinion they may not need extra for a mild engine. I ran a 103x71 for 13 years with 10.25:1 comp and it never leaked. With bus heads. YMMV
what are you putting this engine in?
I used a c35 scat cam in mine and it pulls forever. If you want big I have a ran for 3 hours webcam 86b/c small base circle that is for sale.
The 5th stud is to prevent the head bow between the studs, even a 1/4dia stud will help. The sparkplug area on a bus head is way thin.
You have 914 2.0 heads and in my opinion they may not need extra for a mild engine. I ran a 103x71 for 13 years with 10.25:1 comp and it never leaked. With bus heads. YMMV
what are you putting this engine in?
I used a c35 scat cam in mine and it pulls forever. If you want big I have a ran for 3 hours webcam 86b/c small base circle that is for sale.
2840 type4, turboed and injected with my GM conversion. runs great and still needs fine tuning.
- Tom Notch
- Moderator
- Posts: 3332
- Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2000 12:01 am
- typ4
- Posts: 551
- Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:46 pm
So you are going to sell them? I wish I was working.
I found the story Tom, pretty much what I heard .I lost a pallet of 30 heads in the mess. Wish I had them today now that I have a seat and guide machine.
I found the story Tom, pretty much what I heard .I lost a pallet of 30 heads in the mess. Wish I had them today now that I have a seat and guide machine.
2840 type4, turboed and injected with my GM conversion. runs great and still needs fine tuning.
-
techsol
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:08 pm
Morning,
Not tring to hijack the thread, just piggy back on the studding info!
I am dropping it into a 914 that I picked up that has a FAT prepared 2.1L that was started 11 years ago, kid had no oil pressure. Turned it off to garage it till he got back to it and left for a job in Japan. Got it for a song!
Tying to decide on my options for dropping the Mark Stephens parts in with a lot of fore thought
Thanks Dick
Not tring to hijack the thread, just piggy back on the studding info!
I am dropping it into a 914 that I picked up that has a FAT prepared 2.1L that was started 11 years ago, kid had no oil pressure. Turned it off to garage it till he got back to it and left for a job in Japan. Got it for a song!
Tying to decide on my options for dropping the Mark Stephens parts in with a lot of fore thought
Thanks Dick
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
so to revive an old question, what kind of coin are we talking for 6th stud work, case only?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- Type 4 Unleashed
- Moderator
- Posts: 2203
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:43 pm
This bugs me so I'll fix it with the actual Pics...




Here's something I came across and have been considering. Now depending on crank strokes and rod lengths, I kinda like this better, and even have a couple of ideas for improvements. And no case welding required. And won't even mention the extra cooling.





Here's something I came across and have been considering. Now depending on crank strokes and rod lengths, I kinda like this better, and even have a couple of ideas for improvements. And no case welding required. And won't even mention the extra cooling.

Richard
EMW
“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
EMW
“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”