wheel fitment

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
fastdub

wheel fitment

Post by fastdub »

hope some of you guys can help

ive got a set of design 90 wheels and they fit great on the front but i want to fit the rears which are something in the region 8" or 9" and they fouled the spring plate things (im no mechanic like) last time i fitted them to my old bug - im currently swapping things over onto my restored bug but havent got to buying new rear wings yet and i would like to know which size wings i should buy and if the current spacers i bought will be satisfactory

ive got two pairs of 17mm bolt on type and a pair of 10mm bolt throughs

i hope ive explained enough - if i havent let me know
Marc

Post by Marc »

My son put some Design 90s on a friend's IRS bug a while back with (IIRC) 1½"-wider rear fenders. I think he used ~25mm spacers on Type III brakes; if so 27mm should be plenty and 17mm may be enough.
If you have inner sidewall interference with the snubber pad on the chassis it can be ground off; I've also had to reverse one of the springplate bolts (and grind the head down a little) for some applications.
Chris will be back in town next weekend, I can ask him for details if you don't get an answer before then.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

In my experience the 6" (ET 52.3) rims on the front are OK with 195/50's, but require you to adjust the steering box stops quite a bit in order not to rub (I fitted them with CB drop spindles too)...the turning radius is pathetic for parking maneuvering but satisfactory in almost all street situations.

I fitted the 8" rims on back with 225/50's, Type III drums, and 1" (25.4mm) spacers. In some circumstances fitting wider wheels necessitates grinding the chassis bump stops down, I believe the stops on this car were already ground down so I can't say for sure whether or not grinding was/is necessary.

I used 1-1/4" wider-than-stock Creative Car Craft (CCC) fenders in back.
fastdub

Post by fastdub »

cheers all