crx struts

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
southsidebugs

crx struts

Post by southsidebugs »

i've been told that there is a way to get rear crx struts on a superbeetle. what all needs to be done in order to do this?
RXBeetle

Post by RXBeetle »

Ive never heard of struts being used, I have heard of the CRX rear springs being used with VW Rabbit struts though, I have some rear CRX springs I got at a junkyard for $10. I did a ghetto spring rate test (arbor press, bathroom scale, and a tape measure) and the spring rate was a bit higher than the supers. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head though (not that they were accurate) The outer diameter is smaller than the supers as well.
rae_sevilla

Post by rae_sevilla »

hi there, you can only use the base plate the springs and the upper plate that holds the spring but not the whole strut,, a little welding and machining will be done thou, 'coz you have to use the base plate of a Honda CRX too for the springs to be kept in place and also the upper plate, then weld the base plate to the super beetle strut, you can even mount it a little lower like two inches so that it will also lower the bug, then as for the rims you now can use a modern aftermarket rims with around +40-+42 offset and you can choose between a 4x100 or 4x114.3 bolt pattern, but to avoid rubbing the components you still need an adaptor or spacer which ever you prefer. As for me I used a adaptor 1 inch with a hole for the stock 4x130 and studs for the 4x114.3 bolt pattern.

16x7 Enkei rims +40 offset.

17x7.5 Rota Toxxin +42 offset.
southsidebugs

Post by southsidebugs »

your bug looks sick. were did you get the adapters for your wheels
rae_sevilla

Post by rae_sevilla »

it's costum made by my friend, I'm from the Philippines, no idea were to get one in the USA, I saw thread once he is looking for a way to fit a 17x7 wheels with 4x100 pattern a guy replied about a shop that makes a costum made adaptors, I'll try to look for it. :wink:
rae_sevilla

Post by rae_sevilla »

southsidebugs

Post by southsidebugs »

ya. i looked around but i didn't see much enless i wanted him to custom make some. is there any way you could post a pic of your adapters and maybe i could try to build something of my own.
rae_sevilla

Post by rae_sevilla »

right now I dont have a pic. of the adapte, but you can refer to there sample just make the holes 4x130 then another hole with studs 4x100 or 4x114.3 or which ever you prefer, try to look for some old pics.
southsidebugs

Post by southsidebugs »

i plan on going to disks all around i think i'll just get the blank discs from cb performance and have them drilled.