pedals (long)

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Rip

pedals (long)

Post by Rip »

okay so I ran into a problem, couldn't get the Saco hydro kit to work. Yeah tried a lot of stuff, posted most of it here:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=92497

The long and short of it is I found out that the slave cylinder needs about a 3/4" mc. The mc that comes with it is 5/8. My problem was that no matter how much bleeding and adjusting I couldn't get the pedals to release the clutch. Actually before I returned the kit, set it up on the bench. I stroked the mc all the way and only got ~1/2" of movement at the slave.

BTW no I can't just go back to stock because when I was working on the pan I cleaned up the inside of the tunnel, used phosphate to kill the rust then painted por 15 on the side. But before I did that I knew I wanted a hydro clutch and because the clutch cable tube was broken in a few places I broke the remaining 2 welds holding it in and pulled it out. Soo... moral of the story trying to cross a burnt bridge sucks. So I'm stuck with using a hydro clutch system.

I returned the kit and well am now looking for some sort of replacment. I was thinking of CNC or wilwood. Tiltons are way too much $$$. Anyways I really don't what to cut up the front support to fit pedals. So I've been looking at hanging ones and noticed it would also be a bit of a pain to fit, the steering column is in the way.

Well I came up with an idea. I can get the swing reverse mounting mc pedal assembly like here:

http://cncbrakes.com/cncbrakes.com-...24&subseries=NR

now instead of trying to work between the steering column and the fuel tank, well why not floor mount it? Yeah not what it is intended for but then no cutting. I'd have to build a box as the mc would now be under your feet, but nothing a piece of aluminum can't fix.

The problem would be that you pedals would be a few inches higher because of the master cylinders sitting under your feet. Not exaxtly comfortable, unless I tilted the seat back at an angle. Yeah I thought about cutting under them but then you would lose ground clearance, not to keen on that.

But, then thought why not just cut the pedals down a little? It would screw up the pedal ratio, but if I didn't put out to much I should be okay right? I heard stock was around 4.5:1 but wanted to make sure I measured the pedal and it comes close to 8.5" (from pivot to middle of the pedal) and the pivot to the pivot on the brake clevis is about 1.5" Using these measurements I get a pedal ratio of about 5.66:1.

Dont know if I did this right, you just divide one by the other to get the ratio right?

here's a pic of the pedals
so if you flip it you'll see what I want to do. Now 12 1/8" isn't too, much larger than the stock pedals, actually if I don't use the tall/short mc, and use a non reserivour one that will cut the size closer to stock.

I was also thinking of using a cookie sheet pan, one that can house the pedals, and was about an inch deep. So this way I wouldn't lose too much ground clearance and mounting would be a bit easier. Then I could get this

weld it across the cookie pan. Cut a hole in the floor pan so the cookie pan can fit in the floor pan. And then I got a home made pedal mount. Use a piece of aluminum to cover the top (inside the passenger compartment) and protect the mc.

opinions?
Rip
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

I feel your pain. I'm not there yet, but I'll be there in a bit. What about using the subfloor setup but mounting it inside your pan. Then build a false floor, so you'll sit more Honda Civic then Ford F-150, with your feet raised off the current floor by the depth of the false floor. I really havn't looked at the ins and outs of it yet, but I'm thinking abou that option, or the floor mounted setup and moving the steering wheel back, or the hanging one but compact like the pic you have.

Jason
Rip

Post by Rip »

yeah, so what makes you need to use hydro pedals?
Rip

Post by Rip »

have you seen this?

http://community.webshots.com/album/39423047UQlzuf

I was thinking of a similar aproach, but build a single hoop over my legs and under the steering column. Then have supports that lead forward to the firewall. at least this way if later you get a roll cage you can tie this into it. just I don't know it the hieght would make to pedals too low.
Rip

Post by Rip »

something like this

http://www.germanlook.com/Functions/Vie ... s/0492.jpg

even though I'd really like this

volkdent

Post by volkdent »

OOOOOH, that looks good! What is it and where is it from?

The reason wny I need it?

http://www.geocities.com/volkdent/1.html

It looks to be very low profile. I don't need the throttle pedal as mine will be DBW(drive by wire), but it looks to be easy enough to remove or modify.

Jason
Rip

Post by Rip »

its made buy ap racing, its expensive, very very expensive.

this is the only one I've ever seen made like this, its got pull styled master cylinders.

http://www.apracing.com/car/pedalbox/pboxp7.htm

I'll see if I can find a price. But I know its a bit more than the tiltons stuff.
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

I found out that one of the few AP distributors is about 20 min. away from me in Sonoma, so I've got an email out to them. They have EVERYTHING I swear I would need as far as racing bits are concerned, so I'm really happy to have found them. I hope they are good to work with.

Jason
Rip

Post by Rip »

cool, so when you find a price let me know, I don't think the mc come with it. But judging by the quality and the price of their other stuff its going to be a pretty penny. Yeah because I was searching last night but couldn't find a price, found some dealers though.

rip
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

Havn't heard back yet, so apparently this is one of those "We won't call you" type of places. I'll give them a call on Monday.

Jason
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

OK, found out that.... THE AP SETUP COSTS OVER $6000!!!!!!! So, he suggested Tilton and I'm looking in to that now.

Jason