shock clearance

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Rip

shock clearance

Post by Rip » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:52 pm

got a bit of clearance issues with the front end of my ball joing bug.

running:

1-2 deg of neg camber
spacers 9.5mm
wheel 17x7
ET 35mm

the inside rim is getting close to the shock tower I don't have the body on it yet, but when i bounce the front it will hit the tire pretty quick. Was wondering if this was a problem for anyone else.

wondering if the suspension gains neg camber through out its motion, may be I got too much neg camber to start, because if the above statment is true i'll probably have too much when the body goes on, ( as the front isn't loaded, it will still drop a bit with the wieght of the body) so I can back off of it now. If this isn't the case I have no clue, and need help

Thanks

Victor H

Post by Victor H » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:12 pm

I've had the same problem trying to run -2.0 degrees of negative camber with a 195/60/15 tire. It's possible to grind some extra clearance on the top of the shock tower, but I elected to just run -1.5 degrees and it's fine throughout its suspension travel. As opposed to the rear, my impression is that there is not that much camber change through the front's suspension travel.

Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:12 am

Victor H wrote:.... there is not that much camber change through the front's suspension travel.
Relative to the chassis, there is zero camber change through the susp travel on a torsion bar Beetle.

Get your grinder out. That will fix your clearance issues.