CB race strenght rear brake issues

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
yllwveedub

CB race strenght rear brake issues

Post by yllwveedub » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:38 am

I have a set of the CB Performance race strength rear brake with the Porsche lug patern on the rear of my car. The car also has thing axle stubs. I have put about 1000 miles on the car with this setup. Every couple hundred miles the alxe stubs have come loose, I seem to remember reading about others have this problem, so I have just been tightening them back up and continuing to drive the car. When I had one of the rear wheels off today I noticed that the hud had a little bit of play on the axle stub. I pulled the hub off and the splines on the inside of the hub had been squished together, so they are no longer as wide as the splines on the axle stub, this play would also explain why my axle nut keep coming loose.

the splines on the hub seem to be damaged more from the torque from braking rather than accelerating. My car doesn't weigh any more than your average super beetle and I haven't been beeting on the brakes.

My two questions are, has any body had this issue before? and what car would have hubs that I could use to replace these? (I seem to remeber reading they are 914, but I can't remember for sure). Thanks for any help.

~Josh

Tom Notch

Post by Tom Notch » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:54 am

Your's are the two piece hub and rotor assembly?

I never have had that problem with my two piece ones but I have heard of that happening to the cast as one piece rotor/hub.
Tom

Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples

yllwveedub

Post by yllwveedub » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:15 pm

yup, they are the kind with the rotor and hub seperate.... I really wish CB performance was open on Saterdays. I'm curious what they have to say about it :(

Rip

Post by Rip » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:11 pm

i remeber that post, shad laws wrote it say that the rotors and hubs havn't been cycled or aged so theres a break in period.

but hearing that yours now has damage ....well id definatly be trying to get a hold of CB.

GS guy

Post by GS guy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:30 am

Josh,
If I understand you correctly - you torqued the axle nuts to ~300ft/lbs, installed the cotter pin and still noticed the hub coming loose after 100 miles? How was it loose - in and out play? Nut itself slightly loose (as much as it could turn with the cotter pin in place)?
CB uses a chromoly hub for their 2-piece disc kits, with a standard 914 brake rotor. But the hub also comes with a spacer so it can be used for short or long spline axles. One thing that might be happening is something is collapsing - probably not the CB hub spacer seeing how beefy it is - but it could be the spacers used between the axle bearings. Did you install a HD axle (bearing) spacer kit?
Once it works loose, then wear in the splines can begin as you're driving. That's still some pretty tough steel though - hard to imagine it wearing.
If worn at all I'd strongly consider replacing the hubs, the worn splines could do damage to the stub axles. But also check carefully the condition of the bearing spacers in between the axle bearings.
Jeff

GS guy

Post by GS guy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:35 am

Forgot to ask - any chance of posting a pic of the hub and damage? PM me if you'd like - I'd like to see the design of the Porsche pattern hub (I have the VW pattern which I modified - at great effort - to take a Ford pattern) - but also the damage to the splines.
Thanks, Jeff

yllwveedub

Post by yllwveedub » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:41 pm

well, I talked with a guy at CB today, and the only thing we could come up with was the first time a torqued the axle nut I didn't torque it enough. I didn't catch it the first time very quickly, so that is probably when the damage occured. So, I'm now $160 poorer and have a new set of hubs on the way. I'll snap some pictures when I get the hubs back off the car to put the new ones on (I temporarily put it back together so I can drive my car next weekend for my wedding).

~Josh

yllwveedub

Post by yllwveedub » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:41 pm

double post :oops: .....

GS guy

Post by GS guy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:26 am

Josh, interested in seeing the layout of those 5-bolt hubs. When I got mine (the 4-bolt version), the nice lady at CB couldn't tell me if the 5-lug was a new drilling - meaning there wasn't a 4-lug pattern already there, or a converted 4-lug hub like you would do when re-drilling an OEM VW hub for Porsche pattern. I just went with the 4-lug at the time as I couldn't use the Porsche pattern and didn't want extra holes to have to fill to make it a Ford pattern. As it was, I had to fill one hole and then redrill for the new pattern.
If the Porsche pattern hubs "only" come with the P-pattern, it would be a lot simpler to install a new 5-lug pattern by simply clocking and re-drilling.

I did notice the hubs have a very slight looseness on my stub axles, probably only a couple thou. clearance but noticible. However, I had them nickel plated and a side effect was a snug fit.
I think good axle torque-ing is key though. I use a 2' breaker bar on a 3/4" drive socket - I'm about 165-170 lbs and stand on the end of the bar - for a good 300+ ft-lbs. A slight bounce to "finish up" makes sure they're tight! HD SAW bearing spacer kits are a must.

Oh yea, FWIW I believe it is Jay-Cee enterprises that has a super nice billet machined aluminum rear hub - probably a direct swap for the CB item, at twice the cost...... :wink:
Jeff

yllwveedub

Post by yllwveedub » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:51 pm

well finally got around to taking seome pics over the weekend when I went back to my parents place to work on the car.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos? ... =425719230

the one really bad hub looks like there wasn't ever any splines on it.....

yllwveedub

Post by yllwveedub » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:44 pm

new link... hopefully this one works

http://community.webshots.com/user/yllwveedub