944 rear brake install

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Victor H

944 rear brake install

Post by Victor H »

Anyone know where I can find a schematic of the 944 rear disc brake system. Just need to see where everything goes.
iswinkels

Post by iswinkels »

This might help...

http://www.geocities.com/danielzink/944rear.html

If your using IRS or long spline swing axels you don't need to machine the 944T hubs. The backing plates might need work to get them to seal on to the VW axel, or a 2mm spacer plate could be used, and then standard gaskets will seal the gap.

Last of all, this is a 944 turbo rear brake conversion, that uses NON-Turbo rotors. Simular principals will apply if the non turbo brakes, as the offsets remain the same, only the caliper is diferent.

The backing plates used here are not the turbo ones either, though turbo ones can be used as the caliper spacing is the same. Both are made of aluminium.

I'm about to bolt this conversion on my car in a few days as soon as my 17" wheels are ready... If you have any questions or want me to take some pictures just ask.

Cheers,
effvee

944 turbo on rear only?

Post by effvee »

Hi, you are installing the 944 turbo calipers on the rears only? What are you using on the fronts? Given the front calipers are larger than the rear calipers and to add further senitivity of not have the weight in front how will this effect you braking. Even though I am not at that point as yet, I have altered the rear backing plate to adapt the front on the rears, due to being larger brakes. So on mine I will have the same caliper on all four wheels. I beleive the 1972 or 73 Porsche used the same caliper front and rear.
Victor H

Post by Victor H »

I'm using the standard non-turbo calipers, they are single piston floating caliper.

Picutes help a lot. Is there a separate metal backing plate that the e-brakes ride on? My kit only has the aluminum rear backing plate onto which the caliper bolts. Is there another plate that goes between that and the shoes?
effvee

No

Post by effvee »

No, there is a approx 1 inch hole were the parking brake cable enter at the bottem. The 944 rear brake cables have a extra part that support the cable in that hole. Try going to www.germanlook.com look under brakes.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Victor:
Here's a link that will be of interest to you:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_par ... /Pic69.jpg

The 944 backing plates carry the e-brake shoes and related hardware. You can a lot of parts information from pelicanparts.com.
Victor H

Post by Victor H »

I don't really see any good pictures of the hand brake cable install. One issue is the change from the VW rectangular cable hook to the Porsche more clevis pin style attachment. I undersand an adapting bracket can be made but I don't see any pictures of that.

Also, what are people doing to keep the hand brake cable sheath from flopping around in the e-brake tube out of the 944 backing plate?

Finally, if I want take the non-turbo brake caliper apart to clean and have it replated, where do I find instructions on how to do that?
Derrick from NC

Post by Derrick from NC »

I am planning to convert my 914 rear disc to the 944 turbo. I have a chance to pickup a set of 85 non-turbo hubs. I was told these are the same as the later hubs....can anyone verify for me that these are the same as the later 86 and up 944Turbo and S2 hubs? :?:
Victor H

Post by Victor H »

How do I post pictures? I post some of my install if someone can tell me how.