1963 Project Euro/Aussie look Beetle - FYI

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

How does it drive? Corner? Accelerate? How does the I.C.E. sound? Any rubbing?

Just plain awesome. I might have to step up my trip to Australia!

Jason
Dasdubber

Post by Dasdubber »

Hey Jason - make sure you give me a yell if you do come to Australia....we live at the gold coast (nice beaches/hot girls - not that I look being married and all) :wink:

I can really appreciate the torque of the type IV especially down low - real stump puller as the saying goes. The downside is that with the stock cam it runs out of legs way too quickly - this may be a combination of jetting and timing as well so I am hoping to squeeze a bit more out of it with some dyno tuning. It cruises really well at 100-110km/h with no effort at all and will accelerate up to 120-130+ in 4th no sweat. It was running hot until I added an external cooler and apart from some oil leaking around AN fittings in the engine bay all is sweet. Down the track I will upgrade cam/lifters, do some headwork, maybe go bigger p&c's, maybe DTM.....but depends on $ and lack thereof.

Audio is beyond my expectations - even a few audiophiles at the car audio shows have been pretty impressed with the installation and quality of work. The limiting factors are the size and shape of the beetle interior (eg. they are not that wide, nor can you get tweeters up higher without adversely affecting pathlengths/frequency separation from woofers). I still haven't played around with the amp or dynaudio crossover settings that much so again there is some more I will squeeze out of the system yet.

Cornering at the moment is questionable as I need a new steering box (that was the only part on the car pretty much that wasn't new (only 2 years old)) but it has a big flat spot in the middle which is scary around corners so I haven't pushed it hard yet in fear of crashing! Otherwise it rides really smoothly considering how low it is plus having a narrowed beam - no rubbing at all unless there is a passenger and other crap in the car and even then it is only at almost full lock.

So overall, very happy - I knew there would be some little issues to sort out but once they are resolved I can just get in and drive it any time without worrying about this or that!

Cheers
Alan