1963 Project Euro/Aussie look Beetle - FYI

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
gando

Post by gando »

Geezus Alan that is bloody nice.I spotted the pics on VeeDubbers the other day and couldn't believe how well it turned out-well done.One pic I noticed your brake fluid bottle on the Master Cylinder-what is it from? Have you gone with something other than a standard one?When I saw your progress I got a bit shitty about the no progress on mine-so this morning I visited and suggested if they had no objections, I would come and help the bloke to mark out and cut the hole for the sunroof. Things started to turn-I will be there tomorrow morning for an 8.30 start to get the sunroof fitted-at last something is happening.It's been there for 5 months now with little progress.
Dasdubber

Post by Dasdubber »

Cheers Gary, I am pretty pleased with the finish of the paint for a home-job.

Master cylinder is a golf dual circuit m/c....had the pan modified to fit it by custom offroad here in brissy. Needed a hole cut in the frame head to route the long rear brake line through the tunnel.

That is a shame your project has sat for so long! Hopefully your intervention may spark some enthusiasm and work from the pros and touch wood it will be done before you know it! Make sure you update some pics somewhere on the net for us to look at!

Cheers
Alan
gando

Post by gando »

Why one from a Golf? Does it have a different bore size to a dual cicuit Beetle one? Could you fit the grommets from a Beetle one to allow the resevoir to be put up top for easy filling?Cheers-Gary
gando

Post by gando »

Got cancelled again for Wednesday but was on yesterday-started at 8.30 and had hole cut and full edge folded by 11.30am.Couldn't believe how easy it was.Biggest time waster was drilling and grinding all spot welds to remove original folded lip and checking and double checking all measurements and actually marking out exact location of hole. We placed the sunroof frame up from inside to the roof and when happy with the location,we Tek screwed it to the car then scribed a line right around the inside of the frame.Then run some 10mm tape around this line and painted with some black body paint..Pulled tape off and had a cut line and a fold line-so easy. We cut the hole using some new type of cutoff wheels from Wurth's-only 1mm thick and leave a good clean edge with hardly any heat build up. We then screwed some 25x3mm alumunium flat along the fold lines and hammer and dollied the 4 lips and corners. The original frame is only welded on the front and 2 sides with a fold back on the rear edge and the whole rear section is only glued to the roof.We will drill the roof and plug weld the rear section and spot weld the rest like the original.After cutting and folding everything-I can't detect any distortion anywhere in the roof-YET. The owner told me the car will be ready to paint in a fortnight because the lad doing the panel work is getting married in early February and will have a months honeymoon and probably won't have much energy left for work well into March.I will refit and test the roof B4 it gets painted.
Dasdubber

Post by Dasdubber »

Hey Gary - sounds like it will look fantastic. Make sure you get some pics up somewhere on the net so I can have a look!!

Not 100% sure why Custom Offroad went with golf m/c - perhaps availability, not sure if bore size differs from a standard beetle dual circuit one - maybe it was better suited to my 4 wheel disc set up? Hmmm..

Anyway, slowly making progress on the project - body is off pan yet again - sanded it with 1500 and 2000 wet and dry today...tomorrow will come the buffing. Once that is done can finally start to reassemble!

gando

Post by gando »

Might have to set a goal-see if we can't get both of them to Sydney, Easter 2006 for the nationals???? Could even give them a run at the drags? Should post some respectable times.Cheers-Gary
Dasdubber

Post by Dasdubber »

Body back on pan once and for all (hopefully)...doors back on and rollcage in....slowly the reassembly continues.

66 deluxe

bloody bewdiful m8

Post by 66 deluxe »

Hi Dasdubber, That car looks fabulous man, I am slowly getting ahead on my euro look bug You have made me rethink what I am doin to my 66, The quality you have put into your ride is amazing, I hope to have mine finished by the time the cleveland show rolls around. what will you be doing with your trolley that you sit the body on when project is finished, I would like to buy it if it will be up for sale. Mine will simply be a ratty look for the time being but my 66 is pretty sweet already body wise, needs to be painted though. Hope to meet and talk one day. any way nice bug man willbe great to cruise in type 4 powered bugs soon scare a few holden boys. till then m8 take it easy. Damo.

Luftgekuhlt Monstrum (Airkooledfreakz)
Dasdubber

Post by Dasdubber »

Cheers Damo, I am pretty stoked at how it is coming together after all the hard work/hardships! It'll be great to see your 66 some time - make sure you get some pics up here or AVDubbers site.

I need the trolley for a little while. I have a 68 beetle which body is already done, but pan will receive full resto - this one will be sold to help reimburse some outlays I've expended on the 63 project! But after that I'll see if you are still after one (hopefully will be done with it by mid year).

Alan
Dasdubber

Post by Dasdubber »

Picked up the spacers for the front wheels today so I can finally regain some turning circle (had the beam narrowed 80mm).

Things are still slowly progressing:
Rip

Post by Rip »

the custom fiberglass is great looking

and how big are those spacers, you think they'll give you enough? cause I saw the pics of the front end and the rim hit that lower arm pretty quick.

they're 17x7.5 et52 right? with a 80mm narrow?

thanks
Rip
Dasdubber

Post by Dasdubber »

Front spacers are 20mm - I spaced out the wheels temporarily with washers to a width of 16mm and that provided a significant improvement in turning circle - with the extra 4mm I am hoping that will be sufficient!
Rip

Post by Rip »

think this will bring you back to stock?
Dasdubber

Post by Dasdubber »

I did reply to this but must have been lost with the upgrade.

The spacers will bring it close to stock with the cb dropped spindles adding a bit more width. Maybe just inside stock by 10mm or so.

Anyway, no progress on stereo/wiring in the last couple of days....I've been finalising the fuel lines up front including the filter. All -8 braided lines and AN fittings used....so there is a filter between tank and pump, then another after main line before the regulator to minimise clogged jets in the carbs.

vujade

Post by vujade »

das, what color is your car painted?