High Speeds

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
cantdrive55

Post by cantdrive55 »

I went 85 in my 71 super, that was a stock 1600 going down a slight hill. in my 97 Prelude, the speedo reads to 150, and I've passed that. this was at 3 in the AM down 85. just wanted to see what she'd do. but I have no clue what my actual speed was. the car felt rock solid at that speed though.
vwpride73

Post by vwpride73 »

cantdrive55 wrote: in my 97 Prelude, the speedo reads to 150, and I've passed that. this was at 3 in the AM down 85. just wanted to see what she'd do. but I have no clue what my actual speed was. the car felt rock solid at that speed though.
Yeah I just dont see that happening unless it was Kilometers.
vujade

Post by vujade »

vwpride73 wrote:
cantdrive55 wrote: in my 97 Prelude, the speedo reads to 150, and I've passed that. this was at 3 in the AM down 85. just wanted to see what she'd do. but I have no clue what my actual speed was. the car felt rock solid at that speed though.
Ive been up around 155 in a Prelude also... I believe it was a 95 model.
vwpride73

Post by vwpride73 »

Really? Stock?
cantdrive55

Post by cantdrive55 »

vwpride73 wrote:
I really don't care if you believe me. I don't lie just to impress somebody. you probably think just because it is an import, it has to be slow. not true. although MOST of the showy *insert rice here* imports out there running around are fairly slow, there are some import enthusiasts out there who don't care about stickers, big wings, or loud exhausts.
cantdrive55

Post by cantdrive55 »

vwpride73 wrote:Really? Stock?
and yes, 5'th gen preludes will hit 150 on the speedo. stock. I have 3 friends with 5'th gen preludes who have done it also. I cannot speak for the 4'th gen's. never driven or ridden in one. but they have a similar engine, and a little bit taller 5'th gear *for gas mileage* so if I had to guess, I would say they would do it too.
vwpride73

Post by vwpride73 »

cantdrive55 wrote:you probably think just because it is an import, it has to be slow. not true. although MOST of the showy *insert rice here* imports out there running around are fairly slow, there are some import enthusiasts out there who don't care about stickers, big wings, or loud exhausts.
You assumed that I thought that all imports are slow just like I assumed a prelude couldnt hit 150. I know there are fast imports out there but the amount of them out there compared to the ridiculous ones normally seen are few. Unfourtunately I still dont see a stock US spec '97 prelude hitting 150.
TKisner

Post by TKisner »

I would wonder what the error ratio in the speedometer of a prelude is?
cantdrive55

Post by cantdrive55 »

TKisner wrote:I would wonder what the error ratio in the speedometer of a prelude is?
I don't know that either. hence why I said that the speedo said that fast. I never said I was really going that fast.

and I can tell you I have 3 friends with preludes*5'th gen* 1 only has a cold air intake, and an exhaust*adds at best 5 HP if that* and he can bury the speedo. I have seen him do it.

there isn't that much you can do to make the prelude have much higher a top speed. the tranny is already close to ideal for the power band of the H22 Motor, bigger tires are about it. you could possibly make it rev more, but making them rev much higher than they do stock is very difficult, and very costly. therefore, I don't see any reason what it being a stock US spec prelude has anything to do with what speed it can reach.
vwpride73

Post by vwpride73 »

It probably wouldnt be that hard to find out how fast you were actually going. I also thought that maybe the japanese spec might have something different in the way of gear ratios or something than the US one.
TKisner

Post by TKisner »

I'm not doubting imports can go that fast. My brother has a 91 Supra with the usual mods (3" downpipe, cat delete, exhaust, intake). We've gone 160mph on the way home from school. I'm just curious because I know the error ratio on BMW's is something like 3-4%, and I was wondering what Honda's are set at.
vwpride73

Post by vwpride73 »

TKisner wrote:I'm not doubting imports can go that fast. My brother has a 91 Supra with the usual mods (3" downpipe, cat delete, exhaust, intake). We've gone 160mph on the way home from school. I'm just curious because I know the error ratio on BMW's is something like 3-4%, and I was wondering what Honda's are set at.
I wouldnt doubt a Supra doing 160 at all. There are some things to take into consideration to find out how off that speedo is.
Kenny2428

Post by Kenny2428 »

TKisner wrote:I'm not doubting imports can go that fast. My brother has a 91 Supra with the usual mods (3" downpipe, cat delete, exhaust, intake). We've gone 160mph on the way home from school. I'm just curious because I know the error ratio on BMW's is something like 3-4%, and I was wondering what Honda's are set at.
I had a friend with a twin turbo Supra, it do do over 160. The only import I like! No fart pipes either, just the sweet sounds of the turbos, and growl of the engine.
TKisner

Post by TKisner »

The crazy thing is I feel safer going 150+ in a Supra then I do going 100 in an Accord.
TooSlow

Post by TooSlow »

Sups rule! Where else can someone make way over 900 rwhp with the stock longblock and unported head? To boot a tranny and rear that will take the abuse.