High Speeds

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
EASY RIDER

Post by EASY RIDER »

Ken, what is your gas milage at those speeds?

Bert
Kenny2428

Post by Kenny2428 »

I dont know, I've never driven that fast for more than 5 minutes.
Crimson_Axe

Post by Crimson_Axe »

not that great because I have to speed up / slow down because of traffic. gas - but I am turning close to 4000 rpm in 5th at that speed. doing 70 at about 3000 rpm - much better gas mileage.
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

calereeves wrote:I had my T/A over 120 for over 20 miles one time...got into it on the highway with a mustang :) Max speed I hit was 168, calculated by my RPM.
[cough,cough] Bu!!sh!t[cough, cough]
I recently read an article on the newest Corvette. Apparantly the new one is the fastest Corvette they've ever made and its top speed is 160mph. Interesting that you think your firechicken can go faster than the fastest Vette.
Brian Murray

Post by Brian Murray »

maybe he had some huge rear meats on there and some crazy powerful engine....

he never said it was stock...
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

I drove 70-80 (sometimes faster) to Portland a couple months ago...I got ~19mpg. That's ~3350 to ~3800 RPM. Car gets to ~80 and it decides it wants to go fast again :P

Only people who passed me were old guys in mini-vans (vacuum salesman perhaps?).

At the drag strip I do 90mph in 3rd, which is 6100 RPM with my shorter tires.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Brian Murray wrote:maybe he had some huge rear meats on there and some crazy powerful engine....

he never said it was stock...
Or maybe he was running some Geo tires which increased his rpm thereby throwing off his calculation! I could'nt imagine 168mph, I've been a bit under that on the German autobahn but even there it's dangerous as all he!! to do that over a long stretch.
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

I recently read an article on the newest Corvette. Apparantly the new one is the fastest Corvette they've ever made and its top speed is 160mph. Interesting that you think your firechicken can go faster than the fastest Vette.
The top speed on the new Corvette is 186mph. I've been in a Lexus LS430 at it's governed 155mph, and thats a very heavy car. If he had tall tires, a stout engine, and some brass ones, it's possible, though I'll agree, sustaining those speeds in that car is questionable for a variety of reasons!

Jason
Bruce2

Post by Bruce2 »

volkdent wrote: I've been in a Lexus LS430 at it's governed 155mph, and thats a very heavy car.
The weight of a car has nothing to do with its top speed. Its not like drag racing. In fact, heavier is better since air getting under the car has less effect on a heavier car.
yllwveedub

Post by yllwveedub »

168mph in a T/A is definatly a reasonable number if it is not so close to stock. I buddy of mine is working on a turbo setup on his 2002 WS6. We were messing around with the tune yesterday (using LS1 edit) and found that it has a speed limiter set at 160 stock (I'm guessing that is there for a reason). Weather going that fast on the road is good idea is a totally different topic.

~Josh
volkdent

Post by volkdent »

Hey Bruce2, I just noticed your from BC. The Lexus run occured on the highway to Hope past the tunnel as it parallels the Fraser near the indian reservations! Do you know where that is? Its a great place to stretch your cars legs, but keep an eye out for the RCMP.

My weight comment is just regarding getting a car up to that speed. If you are in the middle of the desert, straight as an arrow, your right, then weight isn't an issue, but if you are on a normal highway with some ups and down and turns, weight makes acceration, braking, and cornering a serious problem at high speeds.

Jason
72glbeetle

Post by 72glbeetle »

The fastest i have gone in my bug is about 115mph with my old 2017 and it was definately pretty scary going that fast. Still was pulling pretty hard at that speed but I let off. Might have to set a new record for my bug's top speed after a few more day of break in with my 2175.
I took my mom's Honda Odyssey minivan up to 133mph before and it was suprisingly stable for being a box on wheels. The fastest I have gone in any car was as a passenger in a Mercedes 300e..... 145 downhill. CRAZY! On my honda cbr600 i went 155 though.
TooSlow

Post by TooSlow »

Reaching 160+ in a modern "Sportscar" is fairly easy to do. Mainly you have to eliminate the govoner. On my supra all I had to do was remove my Traction control fuse and the 155 mph govoner is gone.
Brian Murray

Post by Brian Murray »

all I had to do was clip the line going to the Vehicle Speed sensor in my Firebird... 115mph governor was gone...
zenjoe

Post by zenjoe »

I got my rotary powered bug to about 0 miles per hour on my speedo (all the way around and hitting the pin on 0 miles per hour!)

I went 8000rpm in 3rd then hit about 6000 in 4th I believe. This is with 4.12:1 and 225/50 tires. With a gear calculator that is about 120 mph.

Talk about scary! swing axles are fun to drive at that speed!