Finally: Spring rates for my coilovers

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Hi guys,

I am very sorry that it took me so long but today I did not forget to write down the ratings of my Eibach/ Bilstein coilovers.

Here they are for those that were interested:

Large spring:
ERS 140-60-120

Small spring:
ERS 40-60-55

Alex
Kevin J Hale

Post by Kevin J Hale »

Do you have pictures of your coil-over set up?

What parts were in the kit? Can the kit be duplicated without waiting for Remmelle to ship it to me here in the US?
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Alexander--

I have Eibach ERS springs on my coil over set-up and the PN is 1000-250-150. For my springs this is 10 inches tall, 2.5 inch I.D. spring, and a spring rate of 150 lbs./inch.

Being that you're in Canada, I assume the middle number is in Metric units which would make your springs very close to 2.5 inches I.D. Sounds like you have a nice progressive set-up with a 55 lbs./inch tender spring and a 120 lbs./inch main spring. But is the total length of both your springs really 18 inches (4 inch tall tender spring and 14 inch tall main spring)?!

Is this set-up of yours on an early Super front suspension?

OR, is this a rear coil over?! Seems like I remember someone having rear coil overs on their IRS chassis.

------------------
johnL (aka H2OSB)
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

It is the rear coilover.

I got it from Tafel Germany but it is a Remmele coilover.

Alex
Richard Olafsson

Post by Richard Olafsson »

I'm going to use Pro Race AVO coil-overs at the rear of my car (http://www.avouk.com/). It has been done before with 911 replica kit cars based on VW pans so I'm sure it will all fit. I have removed the torsion bars and will fit 250lb springs to start with, I got this stiffness from the following link: http://www.tech-session.com/Paragon/Inf ... arison.htm
I'm not sure what length to buy so will have to wait to weight the rear end and do some calculations
The dampers are 15" extended length and use 1.9" springs for clearance reasons. For info, I am running 110lb springs at the front without torsion leaves.

Rich
Michael Ghia

Post by Michael Ghia »

Alex,
Are you running the rear suspension without torsion bars or are they still in there?
Also, what's the clearance like between the spring and the A-arm of the rear suspension?
Mike Ghia

------------------
Modification is a form of Art.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

The torsion bars are gone.
It is a tight fit with the normal A-arms but I switched to the 944 Turbo al A-arms and the fit is a bit better.
If you keep the VW A-arms you have to clear the shock mount a bit by bending the mounting bracket to the outside. You will see what I mean when you install them. The spring plates are going to be replaced by Porsche 935 Uniball ones.

Alex
Kevin J Hale

Post by Kevin J Hale »

What purpose will the 935 uniball springplates serve? Will they allow for more wheel/tire clearance? What if the semi-trailing arms have been narrowed?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Kevin J Hale
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

The spring plates allow more adjustability of the rear track.

Alex
volksbugly

Re: Finally: Spring rates for my coilovers

Post by volksbugly »

Hey Alexander...

I know this is a very old post but maybe your still around?

Do you have any pictures of your setup I would love to see them!

Thanks,

Bugly