Aftermarket Wheels?

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
sympl_man

Aftermarket Wheels?

Post by sympl_man »

Is there a modern aftermarket wheel made that fits directly onto a beetle? All the wheels I've seen other than porsche wheels need the hubs to be modified on the car before they will fit. So are there modern wheels that are made to fit a bug?
Mikes72sb

Aftermarket Wheels?

Post by Mikes72sb »

Other than the replica empi 5 and 8 spokes, Eurostars, and a few others, there are no really modern wheel designs that I know of.

------------------
\X/ Mike \X/
mikeb

Aftermarket Wheels?

Post by mikeb »

In short, no, or at least very few. When you say "modern" I'm assuming that you are not talking about the EMPI and EMPI knock off wheels which do in fact bolt right up. You may be able to find a few styles that will fit the 4x130 lug pattern but I wouldn't call any of these styles modern. (Hint, you can find the largest selection around in JC Whitney.)

Your best bet is to get replacement discs and drums in an altered lug pattern. Go with a 4x100 or 5x100 pattern and you will have tens of thousands of styles to choose from. Of course if you want Porsche Wheels you'll want to get the 5x130 pattern.

You can buy ready made brake components in the altered patters from Ahendorp and CSP in Germany or you can get blank rotors and drums from a lot of state side distributors and then have them machined for the lug pattern of your choice.
72SuicideRag

Aftermarket Wheels?

Post by 72SuicideRag »

Or...if you want to step out from the rest, you can always go with some of the billet aluminum wheel suppliers out there. Most build their wheels per order so they can make it a direct bolt-on. Billet Specialties, Colorado Custom, etc. I don't know if you want to spend that much though. They can run up into a few hundred bucks a wheel. But, there are choices out there... you just have to pay for 'em.
~~~Steve
LIMELIGHT

Aftermarket Wheels?

Post by LIMELIGHT »

A friend, or guy I know rather, just got a set of 18x9's and 17x8's for his 73 Super....Made by Colorado customs....his design I guess....thats about all I could gather, other than the pricetag of nearly $2k....then, in casual conversation, I brought up the fact that you can get blank drums, and have them drilled ANY way you want...he about poop a brick....LOL

------------------
-Lime

It ain't easy bein' green...
graeme86

Aftermarket Wheels?

Post by graeme86 »

Simmons Wheels from Australia (sold in US) can make up any offset wheel you want. They have about eight or nine different styles to choose from- all genuine 3 piece wheels.
Tarnx

Aftermarket Wheels?

Post by Tarnx »

I have searched the world over and I thought I found true love, but not wheels that fit. www.800wheels.com (run a search if I have the address wrong) has factory alloy rims for a variety of cars which are much closer to fitting a VW than the aftermarket wheels. 6 and 7 inch wide 16 and 17 inches tall. You will have to have your hubs drilled for the pattern you select. Numerous VW suppliers have blank drums and rotors and will drill them to your specks. Try to stay away from the very small bolt diameters such as 4x100 as I think there has been trouble getting them to fit over the center hub. There are many consideratons about wheel selection. I may have to write an article on wheel selection.