Removing Chrome/Painting Chrome Parts

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Callook72

Post by Callook72 »

I e-mailed WOLFSBURG WEST to see if they sold plastic headlight rings that can be painted. They replied back saying, scruff the chrome with some sandpaper and paint 'em. It seems like it would work, but I've heard that they will end up peeling. Maybe powdercoating would work.
74Super

Post by 74Super »

I've painted mine several times 'cause they do chip; but, if you prep and paint them well, take your time, the paint will look good and last quite a while.

I also saw something recently in one of the VW mags about home powdercoating, it sounds interesting. You might look into that.

Doug

------------------
**Don't forget to remove "spam" to send me mail**
dcatts

Post by dcatts »

Well I know this question has probably been asked before but I am finishing up my bodywork and sanding and am presented with a problem. How do I handle painting (or powdercoating maybe) chrome parts such as europa bumpers and door handles etc... I want these to be black to match my planned paintjob. I imagine that paint isn't going to stick to chrome so what are my options here? Can I use a sanding disk to strip off the finish so I can prime and paint or do I need to get them sandblasted? If so how much would I be looking at spending to get that done?
dcatts

Post by dcatts »

I have powdered all my suspension parts and as I move into that area will do the bumpers, headlight rings, door handles...if I can get it into my oven it will be coated. I am also using the stainless steel fire wall trim and that also will coated. To me it is the way to go.....
Where can I find a home powdercoating kit? How much do they cost? Does it stink up the house doing it in your own oven?

dan

[This message has been edited by dcatts (edited 11-02-2000).]