project rebuild....

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Jadewombat

Re: project rebuild....

Post by Jadewombat »

The other thing you can do is fender flares, some people poo-poo them but I really liked them on my bug and made the wheels fit flush with the stock fenders. I got a fiberglass set made for a Datsun Z car.

Eaallred

Post by Eaallred »

CCC is by far the highest quality available, but I don't think they have a lip on them.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

quick update....
ive tried to widen my own fenders, but that has not worked how i had thought, so instead, im just gonna order some flared fenders from fiberglass specialties. save weight, lot less work, and i think ill be able to pull them off quite well.

well since ive decited to get 4 new fiberglas fenders, im waiting on my tax money to come in so i can afford the fenders. so that leaves me with a lot of other things that can now get done. tonight i swapped over my front suspension from my 73 sb to my 75 sb. i was gonna not run these wheels, but the all black really ties in well with the green. heres all the pics...

westypoo

Post by westypoo »

today i got the cooling pipes, and radiator all installed. on with the pics.

i first started by cutting out the spare wheel well.

then i removed the metal piece that unbolts from the pan head.

here you can see the new one i made from my old car and the original one. this new mount will now be the lower radiator mount.

heres the radiator installed

and lastly i got the cooland pipes installed.
Clatter

Post by Clatter »

I vote for all of the bumpers and handles body color.
That color is just TOO perfect for the monochromatic treatment...

Got the popcorn out and watching closely; love what you got going on here.
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
1jarhead2

Post by 1jarhead2 »

Awesome build so far. Love the direction you are going
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

thanks! i love your volksrod you built as well. progress has slowed up a bit due to funds and now i think i cought the flew. im HOPING i can get back to the shop monday and get some more work done to it. we will see. just waiting on my tax returns so i can get a headliner put in it, and 4 new fiber glass fenders.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

i know its been awhile since ive had some good things to update about. now that im over the flew! so now that im all healthy, over the past 2 weeks or so its been just ordering lots of parts, and playing the waiting game. i got my box of goodies in from mid america tho. in it i got my headliner, but im waiting on my interior guy to call me and let me know when he is ready for it. so while waiting, ive gotten the door handles, trunk, and decklid handles all painted. i choose to go with Atlas Gray...its also a O.E. factory vw color. it came on the mk2 golf/jetta's. a cool idea i had going into this build was to try and use all O.E. vw colors, and the color looks GREAT aginst the green. also my fenders came in today from Markvfiberglass. i bought the flaired fenders. they look good and what not, but....after doing the whole " lets hold them up aginst the car and see how they fit"...well im fairly unhappy with the fitment. so they wil need some creative fiber-glassing to make work right. also the headlight buckets are closed in. if anyone has any info as to what headlight buckets i need to get or how i mount/mount the trim ring, please chime in. well as always..on to the pics.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

well tonight i got to work on my fenders. since they really didnt fit well at all/ if any, i dreamed up a way to solve the issue. what i did was i cut the mounting lip off my stock steel fender. then i mounted that to the car and got it squared up. then i cut the mounting lip off my fiberglass fender. then i set the fiberglass fender onto the steel lip that i bolted to the car. i then used some panel bond epoxy to help bond the fiberglass to the metal. i used some self tap metal screws to hole the fender in place and in shape that it needs to be. once the epoxy dries ill then pull the fender off, and ill fiberglass the inner part of the fender where it meats the metal lip. all in hopes it stays put and doesnt fall apart...lol. well i got home tonight and got my CB performance turbo header in today as well with my fuel rails, and crankcase breather/ filler. well as always..on to the goods.

mazdawg78

Post by mazdawg78 »

love it. what size tubing you running for the cooling tubes?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Love it.

What wheels ? Like.

You cam make wider fenders that way as well.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

The wheels where 15x8 front and the rears where 15x9 and et0 all the way around.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

westypoo wrote:The wheels where 15x8 front and the rears where 15x9 and et0 all the way around.

Brand/model was what I had in mind, but the backspacing is good to know...

Nice work going on.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

The brand is XXR and the model is 002. They where just cheap wheels I had. The car is now done. I stopped updating this thread cause their wasn't much reply/ interest. I have a full build thread over on Germanlook.net. Hers a link to my build. http://germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11579