project rebuild....

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
westypoo

project rebuild....

Post by westypoo »

we here goes another build thread of the RE-build of my new german look bug that got totaled 2 months ago. i also posting it in the euro look forum cause theirs never any action in here and this build fits the thread well. heres the thread on my previous car/crash incident...
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=141389

so with all that said in the previous thread of the car getting wrecked, now is the time that i show you all what i bought.

i drove up to denver and found a 75 super beetle thats originally a viper green beetle LaGrande edition. i found out that all 75 hard top supers where LeGrande editions. it just had a respray of the factory color viper green, and was "claimed to be rust free.....!" so i went up to denver and bought it with really not looking at it too close, but at the time i didnt care cause it was a 75 and thats what i wanted. heres the pics of it on the trailer ready for the drive home. the car is complete, but was undrivable cause the previous owner didnt put in any of the windows yet. so it had to be trailed home.

after close inspection of the car once i got it home, it proved to not be so "rust free" so again...let the work begin. ive had the car now for 2 weeks. im making good progress i think. hoping to have it ready for paint by monday, but ill see how that pans out. either way i want it painted by the end of this week providing we dont get too busy at work. heres all the pics of the RUST on this rust free car..lol

the guy decided to shave all the trime holes with body filler, so i had to chase all them down and weld them all up...

heater channel had some rust as well...

all my repair panels that i could buy came in the mail yesterday. since you cant buy bumper brackets for the 5mph impact shock type...im converting it to the older style and i hat to get a new front apron as well cause i need one with the ac vents since i run a waterboxer motor and my radiator up front.

i also had to do a lot of rust repair in the engine bay. so i decided to go for a shaved engine bay and im gonna try and hide all the wiring. so we will see. i also got rid of all the panels for the rubber seal for the aircooled motor since i dont need them and getting rid of them gives me more room in the engine bay area.

i realize that i made the passenger side panel a little off and ill be fixing it today as well.

well thats my progress so far. i also got my turbo flanges made and ill try and shoot for it to be turbo'd by summer as well. ill do my best to keep this thread updated. im gonna stretch my skills on this build and see just how nice of a car i can make it be as a germanlook. my overall goal for this car is to keep it clean and simple with the modifications. i want a awesome driver. one that i can go anywhere in and not have a worry. let the build begin.
Woodendad

Re: project rebuild....

Post by Woodendad »

I actually saw this over on gl, read about the 73 and the damage it took. That was a nice looking car, hate it got ruined. You'll knock this one outta the park. Cant wait to see more
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

It looks great. It takes a lot of courage to start over. Good luck with it.
crankwalk

Post by crankwalk »

Looks great in that color! I just saw the other thread and those wheels look spectacular on it.
'12 VW Jetta TDI sedan- MPG queen
'76 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4- Garage Queen (turbo boxer swap)
'73 Datsun 240Z- Autox'er
-Jay Gilling
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

The wheels on my old 73? Or the ones on my new green one?
crankwalk

Post by crankwalk »

westypoo wrote:The wheels on my old 73? Or the ones on my new green one?
The old 73. If those go on the green car it would be out of control.
-Jay Gilling
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

they where just some cheap wheels i had (XXR 002, specs are 15x8 front and 15x9 rear et0 on all 4). their not going on this car unfortunately. ive had a set of BBS RS's that i bought about a year ago that are going on this new car. their in Porsche 5x130 lug pattern, so i gotta buy 4 new disk brakes. oh well. BBS's are worth it to me. should look even better then my white car. my plan with the BBS's is to get them on, see where im at with the fitment of the wheels, then ill buy new outer lips to get the wheels to fit just right.

ill post pictures later today on updates of my progress.
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

well heres my progress. i found rust in the passenger strut tower in the inner fender. really i want to some day in the future fix it right by just getting a whole new quarter, but i cant really afford a new one, so ill have to just do a "so so" repair for now. it turned out ok. ill just get on with the photos. its all self explanatory...lol

i got a question for every one. whats all your opinion: should paint all my bumpers, door handles, hood handles ect.... flat black, or color match everything?
Roflhat

Post by Roflhat »

looking good! I would do them black personally, your car though!
crankwalk

Post by crankwalk »

Roflhat wrote:looking good! I would do them black personally, your car though!
x2
-Jay Gilling
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

well ive surly been busy the last 2 days. but its shiney again. time for me to start work on my fenders. i got to widen them...but im gonna attempt to widen them from the outside. i also figured while i was in their...why not just smooth the engine bay...so it did that too. planning on hiding and tucking all the wires as well when the motor goes in. well on with the pics...

supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Looking good Westypoo!

I would paint all the bumpers and trim to match that green, monochromatic ftw!
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

ya im going back and forth with it. i like the blacked out bumpers, door handles...ect. i think a bit more.
Eaallred

Post by Eaallred »

Looks great man!
westypoo

Post by westypoo »

ive tried widening my stock front fenders, and as i started into it ive found out the by trying to widen them from the outside of the fender, its going to be a ton of work/ body filler to make them look correct. so with that said...i now looking at my options of going with fiberglass fenders. i googled it and found some. the ones id like to get have a flair on the outside edge of the fender and their from Fiberglass Specialties. any info on these guys, or product quality? even if i can find some used, id even be ok with that as well.