Chris/Marc's project

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Chris V

Re: Chris/Marc's project

Post by Chris V » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:00 am

Had to modify the lamp holders for the back-up lamps...but got everything working nicely together. Also received the last 3W3 lamp holder and late model VW side marker lamp housing and mated them with a 194R LED replacement lamp...the photo doesn't do it justice, from first appearances it's brighter in person than it looks here:

Chris V

Post by Chris V » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Well, nearly finished the shifter...Ended up using a 10mm headstud threaded into the shiftknob, and welded the offset shifter to an early base with stock spring-loaded locating dowel. I put a ~2" chunk of headstud in between the pieces for added strength.

Yesterday my buddy scored us some Subaru Forester seatbelt male-ends that fit the Lexus IS300 receivers quite well. Picked-up the remaining seals to install from the local aircooled shop tonight, mostly WCM, with some from EMPI and Wolfsburg West.

Ordered a three-piece kit of rearview mirror mounts and a Permatex 2-part epoxy kit to use.

The replacement apron could have lined up better, I nearly cut the seal into three pieces, but ended up just bending stuff enough to make it looks OK if you don't look too long. ;)
Took one of the decklid brackets off before I got myself on it...

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:57 am

Yes, those decklid mounts are forehead-seeking....
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

Chris V

Post by Chris V » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:02 am

I was thinking of swapping engines today, just my luck it's been snowing for the past hour...

Chris V

Post by Chris V » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:00 am

Well, after weird weather all weekend I only ended up accomplishing installing the tail-light to fender seals and narrowing the Lexus IS300 backseat to fit the car - just whittling away at the steel frame and foam, hopefully a buddy can finish the upholstery for me. I did raise the AVIS adjustable beam up as high as it could go, which it was nearly at unfortunately - might need another beam to compliment the CB drop spindles afterall. Took advantage of the AC.NET Facebook promotion and ordered some tool-steel lifters, tar boards for the floor pans, and an alternator fan-style pulley.

Chris V

Post by Chris V » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:10 am

Chris V

Post by Chris V » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Still working out the bugs...but it's running. Just installed the rearview mirror and driver's sunvisor. Called Dakota Digital as I think a little bit of water shorted something out in my PAC1300. I pushed it out of the garage with only a rag stuffed up in the hood fresh-air opening, and it rained cats & dogs :( I did just get the appropriate WCM fresh-air box-to-hood seal installed. Anyway, the only problem with the unit is it's no longer doing the appropriate 20 minute delay upon shutting off the car, no 'retained power'. Tech support said to send it in after telling them how I'd had it working and had comfirmed my connections were still OK...maybe 1-2 day turn-around time even! Have an RMA to send it out tomorrow. That'll give me time to do something I've meant to do all along, build a cheat-sheet for taking the PAC1300 out for good in case it becomes problematic (not due to ignorance and forecast). Our AC.NET order came in and I was delighted to find the lifters, tarboards, and alternator pulley look great.

Chris V

Post by Chris V » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:37 pm

So I wanted to get the front-end up a bit... so I pulled the upper arms off, removed the torsions from the top tube, replaced the four big'uns with some others we had laying around and pre-loaded the AVIS adjuster before putting the upper ball-joints back into the spindles. The front tires are 205/50-17 (25") and I've got them at 18PSI right now. Clearance to the headlight bucket seemingly OK so far, these tires are just 1/4" shorter than a 165R15 and a couple inches wider.

Also did a quickie alignment, swapped license plates, installed the new driver's seat belt, and installed the `69-only style defrost/front heater cables. We're using OEM replacement oil shocks with factory snubbers so the ride will hopefully be enjoyable along with the CB drop spindles...The Whiteline swaybar is adjustable so I can fool around with it some too.

Still haven't put an honest test drive on it, today I drove it around in circles in the driveway a few times, even tested the rear steer pedal :wink: Only thing I've had go wrong with the brakes was a brand new POS 3-prong brake-lamp switch leaking internally - swapped in a 2-prong unit for now. Fuel line leaks have been cleaned and tightened and are being watched, currently using a stock mechanical pump pulling fuel through the big electric Holley.

Marc

Post by Marc » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:02 am

It's been quite a while since I've been able to get my decrepit ass out to the shop more than once or twice a month; hopefully once I build up some leg strength after my latest joint replacement I'll be of some value to Chris beyond moral support. I'm truly honored that he still refers to this as my car, when he's the only one who's been putting any active effort into it for some time now.

I just want to tell the world how proud I am ("beaming" barely begins to describe)...the kid does good work!

I love you, son.

bugninva

Post by bugninva » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:01 am

Marc, if you don't mind me saying, it's not tough to see where his dedication, attention to detail, and mechanical know-how comes from. I think you both are doing a great job!!!! :D

Chris V

Post by Chris V » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:51 am

Love you to Pop. You deserve it, you made a lot of dreams of mine happen when you were still able bodied, and also a good share when you were not. Getting to see you drive around in it will be sweet reward for the efforts.

As for the car, got a replacement 3-prong switch from the local aircooled shop/sales...and got roped-into renovating their new larger shop they'll soon be moving into - hopefully I've earned some hoist time so I can paint the bottom of the pan - the undercoating burned-off welding in seat mounts...Which I should probably get back around to finishing the passenger seat while we're waiting on the DD module/license plates to arrive. I'm hoping to shift it further forward than the driver's to allow more backseat access - unfortunately the seats do not fold forward far.

turbobaja

Post by turbobaja » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Congrats on getting it to the drivable check point Chris! I hope to see you and your Dad cruising that thing around this Summer 8)

Wait, who's moving into a bigger shop? Is it Autosport?
Karl

DON'T QUIT

Chris V

Post by Chris V » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:35 pm

Bow-Wow/AutoVice - going from a two hoist (+1 outdoor) shop to four (and space for seven technically)...new shop is something like 3200sq ft. I mentioned your name and expertise, but I figured the distance would be killer...Their new address is North Lynnwood on highway 99 just a few minutes S of the end of I-405.

turbobaja

Post by turbobaja » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 am

Cool, glad to hear there's still a Bow-Wow shop alive. My Dad and I used to frequently go the the one that used to be in Auburn...almost 20 years ago.

Thanks for looking out for me too buddy, but you're right, that'd be quite a commute for the old Rabbit :lol: .
Karl

DON'T QUIT

Chris V

Post by Chris V » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:49 pm

I have memories of being five or six years old driving to the long gone Bow-Wow in Lake City - Dad used to have me memorize what we needed and would send me to the counter - when I wasn't being too shy.

I've lived just ten minutes away(via backroads) from the Lynnwood store my whole life...now it's nearly double the commute- and it may just be quicker to take the freeway now...but the shop is looking sweet. The main contractor, Bob, doing all the sheetrock/texture/paint actually won a championship in Dad's circletrack 'Ghia in the `80's as my Sister and I were born.

Also, the GF and I are running down to Oly this afternoon to see her brother get hitched...Dad and I met him around 2001, and just last year I fell for his Sister...the World feels small sometimes.

If the Rabbit needs any parts let me know, I believe they're still trying to ket rid of several parts cars at the old shop...and my racing pal (Bob's nephew) also is cleaning the garage out of Rabbit parts...he's got the racecar stripped to make some changes: