Chris/Marc's project

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Chris V

Re: Chris/Marc's project

Post by Chris V »

Ordered one SAW-15% stiffer torsion leaf kit and for the car, a Yakima fairing for the roof rack, and started welding the passenger Lexus IS seat in. Also found a seat-belt extension for the IS belts - significantly reducing the range of motion required from Dad's shoulders.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

New rack and fairing:

Added some Boom Mat from DEI in the back luggage tray...and the last of the speakers, an OEM Ford 6X8, found the gain turned way down on the front channel amp too. Now there's no doubt it has some tunes...Below 35MPH, #10 volume is fine on the stereo...but by #40 or so you're a few feet away from the car thinking about taking another step back.

Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Installed three of the SAW 15% stiffer torsion leaves in the top tube:
Before:
After:

Spun it around the block once so far, seems to ride better :)

Still plugging away at the passenger seat mounts:

Found something to do Sunday too:
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Just pulled the trigger on some Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires for the car, staying with the 205/50 up front, and swapping to a 235/45 in back from the 255/40. Supposed to be some quiet yet grippy tires, finger's crossed.

Found this photo of a 235/45-17 on a Volvo forum I visit...

Still have to mess around with the front-end a little (alignment/greasing) before I hand the reins to Dad again (he can drive the new 850 Turbo)...but the GF and I drove it to the coffee stand & grocery store and loaded the backseat earlier and it drove better than ever over the rough stuff...It can take the large rolling speedbump down the street at 25mph without upsetting the chassis or smacking something. :)
bugninva

Post by bugninva »

Thats a good looking tire.... Chris, keep up the good work and thank you for letting us follow along.
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

It's nothing like I've ever run before...can't wait to see them mounted up :)

Thanks, here's a couple nice photos the girl even took:
flat_iv

Post by flat_iv »

I also added the heavy duty springs in my ghia. It raised mine just about the same in your pic. I did have to end up removing the front sway bar becasue it was to harsh of a ride.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I run the 15% over springs as well, and it is quite stiff.
Karl has pulled some of the leaves out of his baja. Maybe he will chime in.

Steve
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

I've only put maybe six miles on it so far, but so far I'm pleased...the rest of the leaves are 40 years old and running Sachs stock shocks and a white line adjustable bar setup soft. Before it was too low to drive as an honest to goodness daily on Seattle streets...about 6" clearance to the bottom flange of the framehead.

If this doesn't work it means pulling the beam for a adjustable raising beam to make up for the spindles. The car is weighed down pretty well, the front seats alone are probably 100lbs or so.
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Chris V wrote:Image
I'd say that's just money right there Chris. A stiffer spring sometimes likes a stiffer shock to help control movement better, keep the tire on the road better, etc. Like you didn't know that :P.

Hey get some dirt on that Euro looker will ya, it's too clean :twisted:
Karl

DON'T QUIT
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

I run worn GR2 shocks with those springs and the ride is controlled. It just is a bit harsh on sharp street bumps. Once I get rolling at higher speeds it is just right.
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

Yep, "old" GR2s on my baja too, and I like how they ride just fine with my goofy combo of SAW leaves (-) the smaller factory leaves only in the lower beam tube (+) 29" BFGs and lift spindles...(+) 3/4" sway bar.
Karl

DON'T QUIT
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

Dad's actually got a stash of one dollar coins for the car wash in his locker at work, and I've been known to wash the rims if they're covered in brake dust and dirt.

We've had GR2's (stock swaybar, AVIS adjustable beam, 'Ghia spindles, and 17x6.5s w/195/45s) on our other euro-looker for a few years and this car rides around town MUCH better than that one ever has...also, the new tires just arrived! It's currently on the original tires w/~45K miles (2001).
W/Yokohama's (same size rear tire as the new Continental)
Also, on 2.5" drop spindles w/195/50-16s

Dad goes in for another shoulder replacement Monday morning bright and early...so I'll have several weeks to get things squared-away and he'll probably enjoy driving it a whole lot more with two arms :) It can't perform too badly if a man with already three artificial joints (and another three 'needed')and a disable parking pass can drive it everyday right?
turbobaja

Post by turbobaja »

I hope everything goes well for your Dad on Monday. It hurt just watching him get around at times on our off-road trip. Yet he didn't even hesitate to wail on Daron's bent tie-rod with the sledge hammer :shock: . He reminds me of my Dad, who also can't help but do things he shouldn't be doing with his new artificial shoulder :roll: . All you can do is hope, and keep searching for the fountain of youth!

Hey are you planning on going to Franklin's show today? I really wanted to make it up there, but I've got to work all day and the baja is on jacks again fixing the flooding carb(s) and leaking brake line :x .
Karl

DON'T QUIT
Chris V

Post by Chris V »

I spent the day at work as well just down the street from the show...and swung by around 3:20 and it was vacant...tried calling Marsha, but no answer. Time to hit-up Mario, wasn't he planning on making dyno pulls!?!